Give the Horde a break

The way the laughter keeps ringing in my head, we must now assume it’s a residual effect of the night elves hivemind!

4 Likes

I believe the point is more of consistency (or the lack thereof) due to the game designers deeming it to be so. I feel like that’s the general issue here that you’re missing.

Draenei were not Night Elves. They wrecked ecological havoc. They resembled (and were actually the same race) as a nemesis that had basically broken their society/world. Night Elves decided to be nice to them.

Orcs were not Night Elves. They cut down trees. Night Elves decided to kill them.

Your argument is they are/were “Fel-tainted” -

So bring up their green skin? Blood Elves don’t turn green from Fel. Archimonde isn’t green. Orcs turn red from Fel, post-Fel they’re green, pre-Fel they’re… burnt Orange? I don’t know what that color is. Let’s go with brown (I’m slightly color-blind, sorry).

Yikes. As a side note, Warlocks have a spell named “Vile Taint” and I really think we need to rethink some of these phrases. Either way it doesn’t excuse the fact they were more “attack on sight” compared to “investigate” - before even noticing some sort of Fel Taint. It’s about consistency (or basically, the authors deciding to make it work however they want).

Being right post-hoc doesn’t change the lack of consistency, which is pretty valid (though I honestly hadn’t thought much of it until this conversation). If anything, being right about the “torment first, ask later” might make them more likely to have preemptively slaughtered the Draenei. Why? Because:

That passage actually isn’t as helpful as you think, and it definitely answers the fel-taint (ugh) question.

The Draenei crashed onto Azeroth, the literal relatives of the demon that had basically destroyed their world, and wrecked ecological havoc in the process.

Tyrande saw the the Orcs “made war on the forests” (???) and “stole from the woodlands without asking, felling trees with reckless abandon.” So, the Night Elves murdered them for cutting down trees. Not fel-related.

The responses seem pretty inconsistent.

Perfectly fair, but as far as I’m aware, the Orcs didn’t know anything about Night Elves (as Mara pointed out in Chronicles). The Night Elves were observing from afar. The Orcs were logging (which is apparently waging war on the forest) and didn’t know they were invading (nor upsetting) the Night Elves. First contact was war.

And also, let’s be clear, if you were raised on Draenor, you’d kill plants on sight. But regardless, somehow logging is worse than corrupted treants I guess?

I don’t know when/where the Night Elves fully became aware of the extent of the Draenei crash landing. From the comments it seems like it’s not really clear (so I don’t feel bad forgetting) - but it’s a bit hard to disentangle all the aspects.

They would see folks that look just like their nemesis. The land was poisoned and a giant spaceship there.

But no attack on sight?

Watching them they would notice the Draenei are trying to fix things.

Finding out it was more of a crash than a landing would take less violence and more talking.

Pretty much.

It’s about an author having an end-goal in mind, and trying to justify it, even if it seems to be inconsistent.

That’s kind of the point I think. The only reason they didn’t pin cushion the Draenei was because the Draenei were set to be an Alliance race.

I can’t even…

3 Likes

Treng is certainly something else. Only person with zero knowledge of the lore and when looses said arguement, actually thinks he won because he literally doesnt understand what’s being told to him :wolf:

6 Likes

Weird how even in the real world things happen, and not the way you expect them to happen.

1 Like

The response is not inconsistent. Again you like Dread fail to understand the night elves observed the orcs cutting down trees, they did not observe the draenei destroying nature because the draenei were there trying to heal the land and creatures. The orcs didn’t crash land into the forest, they went there with the intent to cut down a lot of it.

Observation is the point you are intentionally leaving out, they observed the orcs destroying their forest, if they observed the draenei crash onto this island they would have seen the draenei trying to heal the land and creatures. The draenei starting experience was about them understanding the natives of azeroth knew of the eredar and had fought them, so they wanted to find a way to be able to talk to them.

Also a side note the night elves did end up worked with humans and orcs at the end of WC3, so even if you want to pretend this is inconsistent the night elves would be slightly different from how they were in the past.

Perceived problems may come from things like the night elves joining the alliance, or the forsaken joining the horde, or the blood elves joining the horde etc. And yeah these races will get written differently to fit their factions, but this isn’t inconsistent with how the night elves observed the orcs and what they did BEFORE attacking, they didn’t just attack them on sight.

But then we don’t have takes of the night elves observing the draenei doing anything bad (because the draenei didn’t in their starting area on that small island), a crash isn’t “bad” it’s what they are seen doing afterwards. I don’t believe we have a take of the night elves thinking a crash is bad either. Observation is something you are both ignoring.

6 Likes

I don’t understand this argument that they are “relatives” of demons.
Eredar like the Orcs have only one thing in common, they are tainted by demonic energies changing them entirely.

Its not mutually exclusive, they did all that as well as being tainted by demonic energies.
Demons that Tyrande was first to witness in the forest.
Then you had humans and orcs stumbling through ashenvale and destroying the place too.

You just went from a 10k years of self isolation and relative peace to an invasion from a massive force of humans, orcs and demons. Its kind of a big ask given such a situation you expect Night Elves to send a diplomatic delegation.
And what lame story that would have been, thats the kind of story telling you expect from the current writers.

3 Likes

Do you not know what terrorism is, Alynsa?
No worries, I’ll hold your hand and guide you on the path to understanding!!
Terrorism is when you’re aware of people and want to intimidate, coerce, and/or kill them.

Orcs: Didn’t know any living thing was in the forest besides animals.
Also Orcs: Were cutting lumber and thought they were being scared by ghosts.

Nelves: Knew the orcs were there.
Also Nelves: Were literally terrorizing them.

Got the perfect example you posted earlier.
The nelves arrived, ready for war. They had not seen the good the Draenei had done.
By your own admission, the priestess is the only reason that the Draenei weren’t assaulted.

Thank you for proving your own argument wrong for me.
Sorry that I was too swamped to pick up on that earlier!

2 Likes

Yes I do!! Just like you know how to be infanilizing and patronizing when the sarcasm goes far over your head because you lack self-awareness!!

You should be nicer to your favorite poster.

2 Likes

Will do!
:hugs:

1 Like

They aren’t there for war, she threatens they will fight them when she wakes up because they look like eradar before she passes out again, they had no idea what they looked like before you revived her but then Velen has you seek out the crew which is lead by Admiral Odesyus. You really have no clue what happened. I didn’t say she was the “only” reason, it’s the spark of the quest to befriend people.

2 Likes

“Tewwowized … by lafter!!!”

1 Like

ye, they’re pretty dumb tbh.

Dreadmoore, could you stop treating grown adults like babies? That goes for fictional orc warriors as well as your conversation partners.

:thinking:

2 Likes

they know they were fel tainted before the orcs arrives in ashenvale…cenarius warned them before this “demons”

1 Like

“The Orcs were scared because a single Night elf woman laughed behind trees that mean nothing to her”- Lore according to Dreadmoore.

3 Likes

dreadmoores argument right now makes no sense again…ignore him, it will not end in any way shape or form in an constructive argument

1 Like

Both Warcraft 3 and Chronicle 3 disagree with your synopsis.
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Cenarius#Death_by_the_hands_of_the_orcs
Fighting had already occurred before Cenarius was made aware of them.

The Night elves saw how the Orcs mistreated their home and acted in self-defense against a home invasion, trying to protect all life within the forest.

It was already clear that the only thing left for you is to scroll feverishly through wowpedia, trying to find something you can quote out of context for your own twisted headcanon to make sense.

“Grom reluctantly complied and headed deeper into Ashenvale to begin cutting swathes of forest and killing the local night elves who attempted to protect the land”

Oh suprise, the orcs killed night elves and were killed for…doing so.

and :

Despite no longer having warlocks in their ranks, the orcs still carried within them the unmistakable mark of the Burning Legion upon their very souls. Cenarius, as a being so attuned to nature that he can sense the slightest corruption, assumed that the orcs in Ashenvale were scouts of the Legion

Chronicle indeed talked about this before the orcs entered even kalimdor. the source of this part is in your own quote wc3 and ask the dev…not chronicles

4 Likes