Getting the Ashbringer

Classic is going to be 1.12. The “questline” was gutted around the release of Naxx.

" The Ashbringer is the sword of former [Highlord Mograine] of the Scarlet Crusade. The blade was named after Mograine and his uncanny ability to smite the undead to nothing but a flurry of ash. Mograine was betrayed and murdered by his son, [Renault], with the sword. Recently it has been discovered that Mograine was reincarnated as a Death Knight by the lich [Kel’Thuzad], and he still possesses Ashbringer, although it has been defiled by his murder and transformed into Corrupted Ashbringer"

If he still had the Ashbringer when he was raised as a DK by Kel’Thuzad and it became corrupted… then it could never have been found, taken, held by someone else. Therefore it is unable to be obtained.

As stated, it may be possible to cleanse the corrupted version… but not in Classic.

My gut says that it’s just a case of an item that was never quite finished or made it into the live game, but the child in me wants to believe that this is one of WoW’s greatest unsolved mystery’s and that it’s real.

Every paladin would want this. Too bad the corrupted version has stats that hurt pallys(melee in general). People on nost would make jokes about the class order of who got ashbringer. hunter>war>pally.

I want to believe there is a secret fishing pool in the game where you glitch to get to it and there you fish up ashbringer

This is curious. Darion wielded the corupted ashbringer in the wotlk deathknight starting zone.

If heroes in the past recovered it already that’s a major retcon lol.

In a PTR at once point it was actually obtainable i think. Some guy i met claimed that during PTR testing he saw a guy with it. The Corrupted Version is the only one obtainable in game yah.

Khadgar and Atiesh say hi to all players that got it from the legendary quest :kissing:

don’t think blizz expected anyone to remember it being obtainable and didn’t add a lore reason behind him having it

" I’m afraid that the blade which you hold in your hands is beyond saving. The hatred runs too deep. But do not lose hope. Where one chapter has ended, a new one begins.

Find his son - a more devout and pious man you may never meet. It is rumored that he is able to build the Ashbringer anew, without requiring the old, tainted blade."
-Inquisitor Fairbanks from Scarlet Monastery

This is from the event when you take the Corrupted Ashbringer to Cathedral part of Scarlet Monastery. The Scarlet Crusade all become friendly and bow to the wielder and when you speak with Highlord Mograine, he says their order will follow the new wielder of Ashbringer. However, the ghost Alexandros Mograine (his father) appears from the blade and explains how his son (Renault, AKA Highlord Mograine) betrayed him by killing him WITH the Ashbringer, thus corrupting it. So the ghost of Alexandros kills his son and disappears and the player can go to the back right of the area where a hidden door is and Fairbanks is located. When spoken to, the blade cleanses him and after some dialogue he tells you the above quote.

P.S I left out some things but that’s the main point of what happens.

1 Like

Thank you! That is unnerving to say the least… was this event in the game in vanilla or was it added just after?

So basically he is saying that the only person who can craft the blade anew is the dude who killed him and corrupted the blade in the first place?

Unless he has another son.

1 Like

It was in vanilla, not many people actually had the blade (The Corrupted Ashbringer). However, all the theories about how to obtain the uncorrupted version were (unfortunately) not true.

Although the blade was in the data files, it still was unobtainable by players. The quest was never continued in TBC probably due to time constraints or they didn’t believe players should have such a powerful weapon at the time.

(Edit: The legendary version of Ashbringer was not obtainable).

Okay well that is unfortunate, how cool would it be to see someone find something that was never found? Just wishful thinking… this exact feeling is what made vanilla wow exceptional… the wonder and mystery.

No, he supposedly had a second son in Outland but again, the quest was never continued.

1 Like

The sword itself exists and its a completed item with an on use effect that works.

It’s a bummer lol.

As much as I would love for someone to find something new, it’s highly unlikely. But, no problem with wishful thinking and who knows, maybe they could add something once vanilla has gone through all it’s content.

1 Like

I wonder if Tyralion or however you spell it could be his second son… hmmmm

Would have to look at dates of birth and stuff

No, his second son’s name is Darion Mograine (the leader of The Ebon Blade in Wrath).

Also, Alexandros and Tirion are practically the same age lol

3 Likes

Ahhh thanks for the reminder lmao… it’s easy to get confused with all the mograines over the years I’m not gonna lie

It’s okay, I just go back and reread a lot of the lore. It’s fun to see what was retconned and what stayed in the story.

1 Like