Getting Older Sucks (WoW, Mage Tower, and "Gamer Stamina")

Been playing the Mage Tower, really wanting to throw myself into it, but I’ve found I just don’t have the stamina anymore of a young gamer. It definitely doesn’t help at all that they released during the middle of a work week and there’s a sort of rush/desire to clear the content before it gets nerfed.

I’ve done about 11 hours of pulls on Kruul on my Druid at this point, and realistically after the 5th hour I was just toast. I tried to pretend I was a younger gamer and I could just push through but the actual regression from deteriorating concentration and reflexes… yikes.

I’m not saying the content should be nerfed, although it probably will be nerfed, it just sucks knowing that this is the type of thing you could have manhandled 10 years ago when you had no responsibilities and stressors and were in your physical/mental prime.

Anyone else feel this way? I don’t really want the content to be lowered, I just wish I was still at the level where I could blaze through this.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, yes. I have become this over my time being a gamer.

Being honest though, even my younger self would have been fatigued from this:

Take a break, hydrate, get some sleep. I stayed up later than I should have last night doing Mage Towers myself but don’t let it take over.

As an older gamer myself (52 years old), I can definitely relate. Tuesdays are busy for me in RL so I have not yet tried the Tower, so I can’t comment on it directly, but I definitely feel this way in regards to raiding in general. I raided hardcore back during WOTLK but I no longer can (or really want to) commit to that kind of level of effort any more.

And yes, it will probably get nerfed at some point. Remember how much everyone was complaining about the drop rates from that world boss for the recent anniversary event, so they made it a 100% drop chance? I strongly suspect something like that will happen again. I don’t want that to happen, mind you, but I bet it will.

2 Likes

I remember coming home from working the night shift, grabbing a cup of coffee and raiding MC or BWL with my guild for hours almost every day.

Yesterday, I got home from working the night shift, grabbed a cup of coffee and was going to hit that mage tower hard and actually fell asleep in my chair at the keyboard before I even finished that coffee.

I know how you feel. :sleepy:

3 Likes

the challenge isn’t what bothers me. the rewards are trash for the challenge presented the recolors aren’t worth it. I’m cool with them not adding the original rewards but jesus if you’re going to make it that hard make the rewards worthwhile.

I like the mount, that’s the big one for me. Some of the sets are cool. Ideally though I would like to see more rewards added over time. Eventually the content will have no way of being fresh otherwise so having a reason to do it again and again would be nice, but it probably won’t turn out that way.

You may feel like your age is holding you back, but maybe the Guardian challenge is in fact stupidly overtuned.

I hope they nerf it to oblivion. We have already suffered enough.

Activision Blizzard discriminates against aged and casual players. It’s very clear.

2 Likes

The mount is what makes me think the nerfs are inevitable. Doing this challenge one time is thrilling. Doing six of these challenges at the current tuning seems incredibly questionable.

Get gems and enchants if you aren’t using them already. The guardian druid artifact weapon counts as two 1h weapons for enchanting purposes and you can use Dancing Steel on both if you can get yours down (or up) to ilevel 50. (Or you could last time I checked)

My husband and I joke how “old” we’re getting from personalities to body pains and we’re mid/late thirties. I feel like maybe we’re a little too young to feel this way.

I actually hope it is not nerfed anytime soon. Almost made it to the second phase and gave up. I have a little over an hour invested into it so far. Currently raising alch on a toon bc what i need is 9k a pop on my server - or it was last night, haven’t checked this morning.

We did it when it first came out before gear from raiding and at the end… I do not remember it being this hard or I just am washed up now.

I’m thinking first phase isn’t that over tuned?! I have no xp in the second phase yet.

We have many kiddos and I do brain dead stuff during the day usually bc I have to go afk a lot bc of my youngest kiddo who is still at home. I’m tired by the time night comes around. We used to coffee/energy drink it up at night and we could stay up super late. We still do once or twice a month now and we’re both hurting the next day. :sweat_smile:

I feel you though.

1 Like

That’s a bit over the top don’t cha think? Over tuned does not equal discrimination, please calm yourself.

Maybe it is overturned, but that’s how they do things. Does anyone remember Cata Heroic Dungeons on release?

It’s better to tune things down later. Can you imagine the reaction if they released it face roll and tuned it up?

I tried Guardian, it’s tough, real tough. And I was beat from a long day at work, so I gave it a couple of tries and moved along. I didn’t research, went in blind and gave it a go. Got to P2 on the second attempt. I’ll get it done, but it’s not the end of my world I didn’t get it done on the day of release.

It’s just a game, and WE ASKED FOR CHALLENGING SOLO CONTENT. Blizzard delivered, get busy.

No what the majority of players asked for are not broken systems and ridiculous catering to metagamers.

that has little to do with age and more to do with the fact that your body has built up a tolerance to coffee. so that one cup didn’t actually do anything to it.

Such a cheap victory would never satisfy my “Gamer’s Pride”.

I know how you feel. I completed multiple MT challenges back when it originally came out in Legion, including the Guardian Druid and Affliction Warlock ones. I have also completed the Warlock green fire quest line back in MoP while “under geared” (still bear the Black Harvest title), so I am no stranger to solo challenges.

However, times have changed and I have started to feel my age in terms of it affecting my reaction times. I know the mechanics really well, but something feels off. I also don’t have as much time to devote to practicing it as I once did.

Getting the Fel Bear is not a “prestige” issue for me as I honestly perceive the original forms more prestigious. I just want it as an option. If I can’t get it, I’m not going to cry about it, but it would be a shame that it feels “unobtainable” to me.

Honestly, I think the biggest issue with this is the fact that it’s a limited time event (even if it was extended). Knowing that once the Legion TW goes away it will be another 4-6 months before coming back is ridiculous. As time goes on, we have less and less time to schedule our lives around a video game event. Having a challenge that once you get enough practice in you can complete it is one thing. Having a challenge that requires this kind of practice, but not getting the time to practice is where it feels really discouraging. Thus it’s not just a “git gud” thing. It’s. “git gud fast before it’s too late” thing, and that’s the part that doesn’t happen effectively as you grow older.

1 Like