GD Lounge # Reforged Shadowlands (Part 1)

I don’t want to stop just to come back to it in the future. If I am so bad at this that someone who writes for fun can do better than me than I just don’t want to do this at all as I am wasting me time in this prusit.

2 Likes

It sounds like you aren’t bad at writing as much as not being an experienced and established publisher and literary agent. As far as I know, very few authors try to manage all of those roles as each is a full time job.

It may be a good thing to walk away for a while but if there are books within you, they’ll make themselves known very insistently.

2 Likes

I have done the reascearch and publishes and agents just don’t help out like they used to it is why I went into selp publshing. Tradinial publishing is a road these days with more and more headaches and les and less profit. They don’t market for you anymore or anything like that. All that is going for them is in in house editor.

I have been trying to market myself for the last year and I don’t feel like I am getting anywhere. If my only other choice is to work with people who won’t help me with the issue I am struggling iwth the most and take more of my money than that isn’t help.

Don’t feel too bad man, some of that is just the nature of the internet.

There’s people that struggle to make minimum wage as full-time streamers… and then there’s random girls making 6-figures just posting selfies :man_facepalming:

There’s really well thought-out, informative Youtube videos that struggle to crack 10k views… and then there’s a random “cute” animal video that gets 10 million+ views :man_facepalming:

One of my favorite twitch streamers rarely has more than 50 viewers, it’s a small/cozy little setting and I enjoy his antics. I’m subbed to him and have been for over a year now.

Recently I tuned in about halfway into one of his streams and he was venting to his discord buddies about how he might have to give up his dream of streaming and “go look for a pharmacy job or something” since money is (apparently) tight.

He further ranted that he had been “living like a broke 20-year old college student” while trying to get his twitch streaming off the ground - but even despite cutting down to the basics/living super cheap he was just barely covering his bills :neutral_face:

4 Likes

I’ve known one woman who became a thrice published author and that required spending a lot of money to go through a well respected Master’s program where she thrived with the rather brutal process of refining her writing through some tough feedback from professors and fellow students. From there she made contacts who made contacts with agents and then publishers.

It was a lot of work, especially after publication with book tours, readings and stuff like that. She took a full year off just to recover before starting on her second. Writing is wonderful, but getting published is brutal before and after.

I’ve written two one woman one act plays that have been performed at colleges and that’s painful in other ways such as having to become a director, acting coach, lighting and all of that stuff. My most wonderful feedback was after the inaugural performances was a large cluster of female students were adamantly asserting that there was no way a man could have written those plays. Greatest compliment ever.

3 Likes

If my only other option is to deal with publishers than I should just get another job now as my work isn’t good enough for that, nor can I handle the type of marketing schedule that I would have to deal with to make them happy.

2 Likes

I can’t even make 55 bucks conecativily at what I do a month. If it were not for my parents I would be out on the street.

I am not even at minimum wage yet.

1 Like

This kind of reminds me of me and my cousin. I been doing photography for years, just barely getting likes and such. I like taking pictures, but I am obviously not great at it.

My cousin got a camera last year, opened an instagram and suddenly my cousin in winning state awards and in National Geographic. It’s just a hobby for them, nothing important. :rofl:

I mean, I am seriously really proud of my cousin, but I think photography should just stay a hobby for me, something I do for fun. I just don’t have the eye for it. While my photography does improve over time, it’s just nothing spectacular.

Maybe keep writing as a hobby, something you like to do for fun, and if one day it takes off, you can do it full time.

5 Likes

So when did Snowstorms start to approach hurricane quality :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Happy Friday
Thinking Spring this weekend

4 Likes

probably the funniest thing i’ve seen in a while lol

3 Likes

Do you have some sort of injury or handicap? Everyone needs an income of some kind :laughing:

If I were in your shoes I would definitely try to get even just a basic/min wage job so I could stash some savings while living at home. $55 a month doesn’t sound sustainable.

Min wages have been trending up ever since the :poop:-storm of 2020. Not sure about what area you live in, but where I live most basic/no-experience-needed jobs seem to be offering $15-16/hour to start.

My younger brother recently got hired at FedEx back in December and they started him off @ $20/hour even though he has no prior experience.

All I have ever wanted to do is write for a living, take what I have in my head, make a living with it and make people happy. It kills me that what I have to offer is wanted and I can’t make it at the one thing I now what to do.

If I tried anything else I would be an anxious messto the point that I couldn’t function. This is something I can do that even though the job is hard I don’t feel like my biploar gets in the way and ruins my life for it. But if I can’t do it I don’t know what I am giong to do? I was denied for social security. I just feel scrwed to the point that life is against me.

1 Like

I am going to put this thread on mute for a while. I feel like I have just been encourged to give up on my dream and I just need distance.

Goodbye.

National Kazoo Day
/salute

1 Like

/grin
/giggle

1 Like

amazing! :joy_cat:

1 Like

:smiling_imp:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Baja Blast Dew Hard Seltzer

Yes please

2 Likes

I am sorry. The thought of not being able to make it as a writter has been making me feel well hopeless. My family put a lot of money into me so I could make my dream come ture and the thought of not being able to do it makes me want to cut myself. They put thousands and thousands of dolloras into me when they live paycheck to paycheck and if my dream dosn’t work out. . . I don’t think I can live with that guilt.

It isn’t just that my biploar is an issue. I have been stressing out for the last 16 hours feeling that maybe if I had know that I wouldn’t have been able to do this sooner I could have saved my parents so much money, and the thoughts are driving me insane.