From WoW to FFXIV? Read this

It really depends. Your mileage may vary. If you skip story it would probably take a few days. If you are invested in story maybe a week or two. If you dont play long even longer.

There are a few catch up systems.

You play on a low pop server and get a buff called “the road to 70” and that helps you level. You preorder Endwalker and get a 30% buff ear ring.
You pay to boost like in wow.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for the info! I might check it out again, I think I have an old account lying around somewhere…

Your exactly right. I still enjoy wow but it’s clear they don’t want me or my friends enjoying the game like they used too. I mean it’s right in your face that if you don’t do Rated pvp, heroic raid or higher or mythic plus they are not developing content for you. Final Fantasy even let’s you come close to the highest item level with Currency you earn by playing the game.

9 Likes

It’s the same experience rules as any other modern MMO.

And as long as you don’t deliberately pick a cat boy/girl to play as, you avoid the “anime aesthetic.” Check out Hrothgar.

Edit: And I realize that the new class draws heavily from certain anime, but check out this art:

Just beautiful. And I’m someone who generally avoids animal races, doesn’t like edgy classes, and I’ve never even played Bloodbourne. But the love and passion they have for their game just shines through nearly everything they do.

4 Likes

Nope. Its just like wow.

1 Like

In men’s eye they are, for me only very few dresses are good looking.

OP has a lot of misinformation in their post so I’m going to clear it up.

You have spells that are not on GCD, known as OGCDs. What you need to do is “weave” the spells between casts, sounds like your not doing that.

There’s a lot of inventory:

Retainers
Your own inventory
Chocobo saddlebag(its huge)
armoire(collectable items)
dresser(for glams)

I guess you didn’t unlock your chocobo or ever notice your saddlebag.

Wrong. Your armory chests have a LOT of space and you don’t need 3 different chests with diff stats like you do in WoW. One 530 tombstone upgraded piece is enough. And many pieces of gear share the same class type too so you should have a lot of space.

6 Likes

That’s awesome. I’m glad for that. Losing a level on death was soul crushing for me back in the day.

The Hrothgar guy looks like a beast. I also see they have Galkan (big buff boys) but they don’t have tails, but also aren’t mono gender.

I assumed FFXIV was a reskin of FFXI but it looks a lot different.

2 Likes

If you didnt make it far you can play for free through the first expansion to get your feet wet and see if you like it. That will take you up to lvl 60 to get most of the faster paced rotation you wanted to try.

Good luck!

3 Likes

That’s the problem. The inventory system is 90% janky workarounds originating with the spaghetti code of 1.0. Most of his post comes from a place of ignorance, but the criticism of the inventory is completely fair.

1 Like

If you single-mindedly focus on just leveling a single job without taking any detours for other jobs (including crafting jobs), then you can probably level up pretty quickly. Just be sure to equip the soul crystal that upgrades your job to its more evolved form at level 30.
The biggest barrier will not be XP acquisition; it’ll be working through all the story quests. The story quests will power you through most of it, and if you regularly use the Duty Finder (FFXIV’s version of LFD) and knock out any Fates that you encounter along the way, you won’t even have to grind.

That sounds rough. You can’t even get the red mage job in FFXIV until level 50.

There’s no death penalty in FFXIV. Like WoW, your equipment suffers durability loss. There’s no res sickness, either, but unlike WoW, you’re not allowed to ghost back to where your body is. Your only option is to respawn at your home point (the equivalent of your Hearthstone in WoW).

3 Likes

Ah nice, I think I only made it to level 5 or somesuch. Barely out of the starting city.

Why are you so angry? lol you needa chill tf out

2 Likes

Number 1 problem with FFXIV is it’s for weebs. Ever one knows this.

1 Like

It started as a reskin almost but worse and then they literally nuked it from the ground up and made it more modernized with all the good stuff wow did right.

The genders for mono gender races will become binary soon.

Male vierra next xpac and femal hrothgar later. Not sure when but confirmed later.

2 Likes

We have different play style, when I’m on a job and a gear for another job dropped that I can use, I keep it. I have unlocked everything possible on the game so I have all that you mentioned, studied the UI and programmed my addons. GCD is much slower than wow, if you play FFXIV and go back to wow it will feel like a fast forward version.

I don’t care either way about animal races, I conceptualize a character from race to class and if it’s right, it’s right.

I don’t totally hate anime but some anime eyes just creep me out. I can’t explain it. For the most part I can look past that though.

The guy in the picture definitely looks like a beast though, literally and figuratively.

The Off-Topic forum is labeled “For all your non-Blizzard game discussions”

1 Like

Yes but how many ppl are actually going there?

1 Like

Should be a locked weeb only sub forum that all FFXIV automatically filter into.