French Dragonflight interview

Khadgar’s loyalties are with Dalaran whose Alliance ties have always been shaky at best.

Did you just say Horde favortism?

Because “with us or against us!” would be an incredibly, self-defeatingly stupid approach to the biggest concentration of magical power in the known world. But mostly because trying to connect rational dots between poorly written, irrational moments is exhausting.

There is no rational way out of the corner BFA put the game in. You can’t delete a faction. So you end up having to just not think about most of it. The writers certainly didn’t.

I would still rather see Dalaran go Alliance, Sunreavers go back to Silvermoon, Khadgar retire his position and go to Karazhan. At least then his actions wouldn’t reflect an entire organization of mostly Alliance or ex-Alliance humans who don’t support the Alliance for no discernable reason.

1 Like

Sir, this thread has a strict No arguing over diarrhea bowl policy.

1 Like

When genocide happens, yes, that’s a different situation, that’s a “for” or against us. And again, I don’t want or wanted Khadgar to start attacking the horde, that’s not what I meant, but he hasn’t done anything, he hasn’t even agreed to take refugees…to support them…to open portals, just nothing. And that’s just so…unbelievably stupid, then fob us off with this comment ala “do what you will…I do not care” …is in this context such a great ignorance that it is simply not to forgive.

And many member of dalaran are indeed members of the alliance, and it was not a statement about the kirin Tor as a whole, but a statement about Khadgar…he should be no longer accepted…his statue burned down, to show clearly…this desicion have consequences.

3 Likes

He’s acted in a neutral capacity throughout the entirety of WoW. Even in WoD, when the Kirin Tor was still technically Alliance, he gave Jaina the finger and kept his Horde pals around. And the first thing he did in the following expansion was outright wrest control of the Kirin Tor from her for the explicit purpose of getting the Horde back into Dalaran.

On the one hand, I kind of respect a character so utterly over AvH, but on the other, I’d really rather the Alliance had kept him and let me quest with a cool Horde mage like Rommath instead, with our own faction of magi. But why bother penning content for the Horde when they can just make some Alliance guys neutral?

6 Likes

I mean, it is dumb, but that is a natural consequence of myopic narrative leads. Big moments aren’t fully concepted out, they’re just fired and forgotten about. Then they lie about it in press for a couple years while the few people left with any sense of attachment to the game pull out what few hairs they have left.

4 Likes

That’s why I say Khadgar is no longer welcome, he is banned from all kingdoms of the alliance and even his friends have turned away from him inside the alliance, he doesn’t want to support the alliance, even if one of the alliance race is in dire need, and has to fight for life and death as a entire civilisation, like Stormwind did back then in the first war, well then so be it, but then we don’t need you either. this act should have destroyed his status in the alliance so all-encompassing that no one sees him as a hero anymore.

This statement, this decision, should have consequences.

maybe they hoped we as player would be stupid aswell and forgot khadgars “sentence” in bfa.

I would rather the entire notion of neutral faction heads go away, especially in a game that can’t resist killing, retiring, or exiling one side into the dirt. It just makes players from the opposing faction frustrated.

They honestly did. Shadowlands and BFA were patch after patch of them twisting in the wind because they didn’t anticipate or know how to reconcile an outraged Night Elf fanbase.

You win Darkshore! Oh, that isn’t enough?

Night Warrior! Black eye unlocks! Tyrande mad mad mad grrrr jump in Maw grrrr yaaaas queen. Oh, that isn’t enough?

Uh, look! Elune! Renewal! Oh, that isn’t enough?

Uhhh, Sylv will save them all even though we kinda already obliterated those souls. Renewal! Renewal?

6 Likes

Then I have to disappoint them, many may have forgotten such things, but I can still remember them very well. But now I’m going to bed and thanks for the discussion, it was fun, and I also hope that the horde gets good story, because it also needs it urgently.

It’s not just the Players enraged by the Faction War but the Characters too although in the Characters’ case that is easily resolved: Have a higher power force the Factions to work together by wiping out a sizable chunk of their armies and cities while they are in the middle of fighting.

The fear of a Higher Power annihilating them would quell wrath due to fear of how feeling wrath would get them all annihilated!

Such fear would be backed by said Higher Power brutally desolating the cities and environment right in front of them while threatening to kill them if they don’t obey. Bonus points if such destruction is preceded by Genn Greymane randomly blowing up an City of Lightbound Orcs with the Vindicaar for being Orcs despite being Lightforged by the Naaru.

Bonus points if all 6 Cosmic Forces cause destruction of every Zone containing a Capital( Light for Stormwind, Void for Silvermoon, Order for Ironforge, Life for Orgrimmar, Death for Mulgore and Fel for Azuremyst Isles) just to emphasize this point.

If you think the Alliance Races are too strong willed for that you clearly haven’t read the War of the Ancients Trilogy as when Deathwing decimated the Night Elven and Demon Armies and demanded they bow to him they immediately did so in a panic!

Funny how Deathwing just by unleashing Power in a dramatic way did what Sylvanas could not do! Kill Hope. Sylvanas had no lasers capable of one-shotting the Zone single-handedly! Her Blight wasn’t so powerful that a single barrel was capable of doing in an entire Zone! She was nothing to Deathwing’s sheer power!

Sylvanas attacked a defenseless target enraging the Fighters against her! Deathwing on the other hand showed just how powerless the fighters were against him and that obeying his demands for bowing was necessary to survive his onslaught!

Sylvanas was a threat to civilians but not the armies while Deathwing was a threat to both and thus could be feared for it.

Fear overpowers both Hate/Contempt and Anger due to survival instincts. Survival instincts are hardwired into Mortals no matter how hotheaded they are. Only a Psychopath is immune to survival instincts and none of them are leading the Alliance at all.

There’s a huge difference between having a Night Elf appear in a story than having a Night Elf be a part of a good and meaninful story.

You say we won Darkshore. How do we know? when do we see that? a whole expansion of going back anf forth only to have an in game cutscene nobody noticed and after that nothing to reflect the current state of the land.

Tyrande became a Night Warrior with black eyes. How many years passed between that event and now? and how much screen time she actually had? She went MIA as soon as she got that “buff”. We NEVER saw her do anything meaninful. She basically started losing right away by virtue of being unable to defeat Nathanos at the beach. Years passed and when we finally saw her again was to have her lose against Sylvanas.

Elune.- We finally learned more about her. She started making more appearances and what did we get? Let her people die. Sent their souls and never checked what happened to them. Stop Tyrande from killing Sylvanas when Elune was well aware that was the deal from the start. Makes Tyrande change her mind and tells her she spared Sylvanas to help save NE souls when now we know the convenants have full access to the Maw and can mount a more effective rescue party instead of letting her people still be tortured in hell for who knows how long only for dear Sylvanas to have a path to pennance.

Yes, Night Elves showed up here and there from time to time but that doesn’t mean it was a good portrayal. In fact I dare say we lost more than we gained.

2 Likes

Yeah, all of that was kinda my point. They didn’t meaningfully address anything following Teldrassil because they didn’t think it through beyond the Burning.

2 Likes

She had more screentime during this expac than any other figure , even Anduin who is a close second. She certainly had more in-depth screentime than anyone else.

1 Like

Khadgar was more or less neutral even before that. From when he learned about the universe etc from A’dal. Khadgar saw the bigger picture. He basically stopped being an Alliance character from that point onwards.

4 Likes

He’s a human. He’s from a human nation. His history is wrapped up in the history of humans. His “enlightenment” came from… a Naaru. One of the Draenei’s gods.

I don’t think anyone suspects him of having some kind of secret pro-Stormwind bias that he’s going to suddenly unveil in a grand betrayal, but… he’s still an Alliance character. All of that history isn’t going to just go away.

He’s a mage, Mages aren’t that trusted as being loyal in the Alliance because of the overall sordid history of Dalaran whose loyalty in total is considered considerable.

I mean… Shandris was pretty important. She was developed in an extremely heroic way. It took degrading Tyrande to make Shandris look better than ever, but to be fair, it existed… in Ardenweald.