Free the Tauren from Baine

According to Tides of War, Baine did in fact banish Tauren who wanted to keep fighting the Alliance from Thunderbluff because he did not want the full might of Alliance retaliation coming at them.

I believe this was during the lull after the Fall of Deathwing where the Horde and Alliance weren’t in active war at the moment.

Now the controversy of course is if this was a good decision or not. I personally would say yes because it’s smarter to banish a couple of angry folks and not drag everyone to war again, but opinions be opinions.

9 Likes

Tauren DESERVE an actual character leading them, not a plot device designed to chant the glory of Golden´s self inserts into Horde players´ears regardless of the willingness of the aforementioned players.

Cause that´s the actual issue with Baine; he´s not even a character (I worry for the reading comprehension skills / actual ethical reasons of the people “defending” his characterization as some sort of good moral compass when the narrative depicted him totally apathetic regarding somethings as monstruous as the Teldrassil bruning but completely offended over Derek -whose raising was not terribly worse to the raising of rando Forsaken in Cata tbqh-); he´s nothing but a glorified plot device that fulfills two jobs: to chant uniquevocally how Anduin / Jaina are always right / good to the other Horde characters and to become a damsel in distress so those two Golden self inserts can play the hero and rescue him. Baine only exist to make Anduin / Jaina look good; remove them and he doesn´t even have a character by himself, nor actual goals nor nothing).

Any rando Tauren has the same actual character development of Baine, ergo any rando Tauren is perfectly good to replace him imho.

19 Likes

You mean back stabbing and treacherous tribe, right?

Didn’t Grimtotem make deals with the Alliance in Stonetalon? Yeah, I wouldn’t trust them to run a fruit stand much less as an ally. As a shaman during Legion I would have loved to tell Magatha to get lost rather than have her as a follower.

6 Likes

All of that was 100% an exaggeration. He banished those who refused to follow his direct orders and who tried to instigate hostilities against the Alliance.

And Soldiers are not “innocents” by definition.

Ironic actually, because when Lor’themar does the same, he’s praised for being practical and wise.

4 Likes

What is, precisely? Anduin being a wide eyed nice boy who just wants to help? Or him not really having an issue with the Forsaken?

Because point A is just a material fact about his character, like it or not. And Point B makes complete sense.

Undead existed in some shape or form in Azeroth since day one, far as I can tell. But the Scourge - an actual army of the dead more than capable of wiping out all life on Azeroth if allowed to - was pretty new and pretty terrifying.

But that terror was experienced by Varian and Greymane and the other old dudes. Anduin grew up in a world where the Scourge was simply one of countless threats. Organized undead isn’t something new and scary to him, neither are Orcs or Tauren.

A member of a newer generation being more open minded about groups of people their parents found abhorrent isn’t far fetched. That’s actually how history has worked pretty consistently.

Edit: In fact, Jania already did this in WC3. She grew up in a world that simply included Orcs. They weren’t new or strange. So, not fearing them, she was open to working with them.

5 Likes

Bruh, I talked crap about Legion for the entire expansion and I still got BfA beta access. You’re fine.

4 Likes

Nine out of ten of my posts for the last few years have been describing various ways the game is obviously racist and I cancelled my subscription a few months back. Still got a beta, so yeah, no worries for no Finninbas.

2 Likes

Camp Taurajo was not a military installation. It was filled with crafters.

18 Likes

You deffinitely either need to invest in a reading comprehension course or let the double standards out of your actual argumentation skills, cause there´s a massive difference between Baine exiling people willing to defend (A.K.A. fight) their nation over the military attacks done by an aggresor just for mere philosophical reasons -“war is bad!! better to let them kill us if this guarantees only some will die and not more trying to defend us”- and exiling people actively sabotaging the political / military climate of a nation already in peril merely for philosophical reasons -“mana veganism”-.

Both exiles are literally the opposite, done for opposite reasons.

Treng, you´re speaking to one stubborn defender of the double standard status quo. Don´t expect an honest anwser nor much less genuine discussion.

12 Likes

fixed it, lets be real alot of horde players dont want heroes for their characters

I talked bad about wod alot and I got legion beta

Not a “military installation” but wasn’t an “Innocent Village” either.
The Crafters there were circumstantial.

It’s the same thing with Astranaar, which was Camp Taurajo’s contemporary, which suffered the same fate.

The Irony of YOU accusing ME of that.

7 Likes

No, it isn’t. Astranaar garrisoned military. We were sent to murder the military.

But Baine said it was one. Which was my point when I earlier stated that he lied in order to assuage his Alliance master’s guilt.

5 Likes

This is one of those “need to see ally and horde quests for it to fully make sense” kind of things in wow, which most players dont see so when tides of war comes around and Baine talks like hes played the alliance side (because of a writing oversight) then yeah players are rightfully annoyed.

Ironically Tides of War actually has some of the best insights into Baine’s thinking (the writing oversight not withstanding),

While Baine is a cool character in CERTAIN situations, i do agree that he gets shafted by the writers (because they’re bad), like the cut highmountain content, the cut content from Cata when he goes full BAMF on them outside the gates of Mulgore. He just seems a victim of cut content and poor writing, but you could apply that to so many characters.

I’d just love them to do him better, instead of getting a whole new character in…but i get forums gonna forum

12 Likes

Yeah the forums are full give us Barabas mode most of the time. I was initially open to Calia. All she needed was an undead quirk. Maybe she’s tending to a wounded breather and the pulse makes her mouth water and with unnatural instinct she lunges before more a experienced Forsaken pulls her back. That’s all I wanted.

But my problem with her is she isn’t really Forsaken. Baine is a Tauren. He’s been one since WC3. I just think he’s been terribly misused.

I actually liked his mild role in Shadow’s Rising. He saves Talanji by neatly ripping off a dreadtick off her face before effortlessly smashing it. Then gets into a dance with the Dark Warden and ends it with a glancing blow. Just catching Sira with part of his weapon sends her spinning to the ground.

And I loved that as that’s always how I pictured the Tauren in melee. Less dexterous and agile than most other races but if they land a blow - well anything other than an undead isn’t going to still be moving because their whole butt rip cage just caved in. And even the undead are going to need a second to readjust to their now pulverized chest cavity.

The Shu’Halo are peaceful, but they’re also hunters. Woe betide anything that threatens them.

5 Likes

Kind of what to expect by this point honestly.

That is dark as and i love it, if she wasnt some weird lightforged undead that would work so well.

Yeah again, its more in book stuff that you just wish was in game. He just needs that “oh damn” moment like Saurfang had in Borean Tundra.

He has one in Mulgore but thats at level 10 and only Tauren get to see it, and barely remember it.

3 Likes

Exactly. The Tauren have the Worf problem. Where they’re allegedly the heavy guns but keep getting smacked around to show how powerful the enemy is.

But as we havent seen the Tauren do anything interesting in ages, they just kinda feel weak. When they should be the ones who don’t need tech or arcane magic or even basic weapons on their side, because between their raw stength and the Earthmother they’re good.

I’m hoping for a scene where a Tauren drops a Gnome war mech by just throwing a simple spear the length of a lane right through the thing. Like

“Oh yeah they argue for peace because war isn’t something they fear, it’s a punchline to them, be thankful they’re the calm ones”

8 Likes

What I wonder about Baine is, if the war in Battle for Azeroth were an “honorable” one worth fighting, would he still run to the Alliance to inform on the Horde? Something tells me he would, in which case, I’d be all for his head rolling.

I think the most despicable of Baine’s moments in BfA was during Rastakhan’s funeral, standing in front of Rastakhan’s corpse, he spoke of negotiating with the Alliance, and Sylvanas rightfully called him out for it. So cowardly…

14 Likes

Baine is fine, how he’s used for the story is the bad part. It’s the same as Anduin, the writers wanted a specific outcome to happen and dragged the characters around by the nose in order to do it, instead of actually letting them drive the plot. Plus, no matter how much they say otherwise, it’s clear that their initial plans were messed with but they still tried to tell the same (squished) story anyway. Baine’s actions fit much better with a faction war that takes place over two expansions, with the Alliance pushing on multiple fronts. We know a Barrens Warfront was cut, that lends total credence to Baine sticking the Horde for much of the war until finally pushed over the edge.

Also, speaking to Tauren power in battle, I want to see a battle where the Horde’s siege weapons are literally just multiple Tauren archers with longbows the size of trees.

3 Likes

yeah I guess you guys are right, used to get into the alphas, but i have random conspiracies (regarding blizzard and access to their alphas) in the back of my mind.

OT: I dont like posting in erevien threads :frowning: