Framerate cap @60 FPS

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I wasnt sure exactly where this should go.

I have recently bought the new Elgato 4k60 mk2 capture card for my computer. I am running a single stream pc setup because honestly my rig can handle it. Specs are at the bottom of this post.

Anyway, so far WoW is the only game that caps my framerate at 60 (max 62) when playing. I have to have my single ultrawide gaming setup run in “duplicate these displays” in order to stream how I want. However, if I configure my computer to show only 1 display (essentially having the capture card “disabled”), the game will run at over 100 FPS with ease.

I can stream other games just fine in duplicate mode with no FPS drop.

Can this be fixed? Is there a workaround?

PC specs:

i9 9900K OC’d @ 5GHz all cores
Corsair Vengance RGB 3600MHz 2x8GB (16GB)
Asus Maximus XI Code
Asus Strix RTX 2080
Corsair 850w PSU

Anyone have any ideas? is it a bug? Something im missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

The technical support forum would be a better to place to ask this and may have some answers or information to help

4 Likes

I put it there and it seems it got deleted. /shrug

1 Like

Your post, this post, was moved to technical support, it is in that forum now.

1 Like

It sounds like you have some sort of Sync enabled. Go ahead and post a dxdiag to start with

DxDiag
1.Press Windows Key + R.
2.Type DxDiag and press Enter.
3.In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
4.Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
5.Open the txt file above select all, copy and paste to this thread.
You can include the DXDIAG in a reply to the forum post. Place it between rows of ticks (`) for formatting:

Like this.

If it will not allow you to post the whole thing post it on pastebin.com just post the last section of the link see the highlight section below .
https://pastebin.com /y47kBy74

Heres the dxdiag

pastebin. com/Yr8ev7xt

I’m still having issues. I’m the op

Your monitor is only 60 hertz. Frame rates above 60 could actually cause screen tearing. And actually are not displayed as the monitor can only display 60 fps and below.
For it to cap at 60 FPS One of the vertical sysnc 's has to be turned on. Make sure the vertical sysnc in NVidia control panel is turned off. Open control panel click 3d settings and it is near the bottom.

From the character select screen press menu make sure vertical sysc is turned off. click advanced and make sure the frame limiter is above 60

5 Likes

Still having issues.

Vsync is disabled in nvidia CP as well as in WoW. My monitor is showing 100Hz (max for my monitor) in nvidia CP as well and im still only at 60 FPS.

What’s more is that if i bring say this browser window in front of the game, my FPS shoots to 138 FPS (more than double what im getting when playing the game) because I have foreground and background FPS set to 200.

What were the results without the streaming card?

What happens if you turn off the foreground and background frame limiters in wow?

Results are over 100 FPS. But it only happens with WoW. COD MW for example, I get over 100 FPS even when streaming.

If I turn them off, the same result occurs. 60 FPS.

Hey Sìcarìus,

I didn’t see anything specific in the DxDiag, so it may be a good idea to do a clean driver reinstall. This can help remove any corrupted files that may be restricting the FPS specifically in WoW.

To do this, download the latest Nvidia driver by going here. Then run the installer and select the Nvidia Driver option only. Then I would recommend doing a Custom install and selecting the ‘Perform a clean installation’ option which will remove the older files. Avoid installing the Nvidia Geforce Experience which can sometimes cause these FPS cap issues.

Once the driver install has finished, change the Nvidia settings so that the game is using the Nvidia card:
• Right click on the desktop and launch NVIDIA Control Panel → Manage 3D settings.
• Go to Program Settings tab.
• Select the game to change the graphics processor under “Select a program to customize”. If it’s not is not available, select the specific game from the drop down list.
• Select your “Prefer maximum performance” graphics card under “Power management”.

Then reset the game settings to set everything back to default.

It’s funny you mention that, zenlaka. Following the guy in the green txt, I actually had it working but because streamlabs obs had an update which updated the nvenc codec I kept getting errors while trying to record while streaming and it was suggested by OBS to uninstall the graphics drivers and reinstall to latest drivers and perform the clean install option. And now I’m locked back at 60 fps again.

Is there a way you can collaborate with Nvidia to fix this issue since it’s a known issue? I really enjoy using shadowplay and use it in more games than just wow and would hate to lose it.

But for troubleshooting purposes I’ll give it a go. I will also try to reset the game options and post back

OP here,

did all of that. None of it helped.

Issue persists through a reinstall of my OS and even a format of my game drive and re-installation of WoW.

Hey there,

Just to verify here, is there any issues happening in the game or are we just looking at numbers? Stuttering, tearing, artifacting, etc.

Checking through the DxDiag I noticed the monitor being used is “ACR0450” which is 60Hz. My best guess here is there is a “Sync” setting enabled either on the monitor itself, the graphics card, or in-game. 60 FPS on a 60Hz monitor should not cause any game issues since this would be considered a normal value.

Let us know what’s going on here. If possible, provide a video so we can better understand it. Nvidia GeForce has a video capture utility that’s pretty light-weight so it shouldn’t impact your gameplay. From there just upload it to youtube or similar and drop us a link.

Example:
youtube*com/abc123

Hey @Kaldraydis,

The ACR0450 being my Acer Predator x34 @60Hz has been a resolved issue. I went into NV CP and changed it to 100Hz but it still hasnt made a difference. Vsync is disabled in the game and through the NV CP. I have the foreground and background FPS slider maxed out at 200FPS. When I put WoW in the background the FPS goes over 100. But when I make it the main focus window, it drops back down to 60.

As for any in game issues, the game feels sluggish when running at 60 FPS. No amount of graphics tuning in game makes it go higher. WoW is the only game that gets capped at 60 FPS when running OBS and having my screens in “duplicate” mode.

youtube*com/watch?v=3sGhP5rcel8

Hey again,

Thanks for following up! I think I have an idea of what’s going on here.

If the problem is only when the display is being duplicated, the game may be getting limited to whatever settings the secondary monitor or streaming service. We are currently unable to offer support for OBS since it’s a third party program.

I’ll leave this post open in case any OBS users want to chime in here. I know it’s a pretty popular program and other users may be more familiar with their software than I am. OBS does also have a support forum where a similar issue is being discussed located here.

OBS doesn’t have to be running in order for it to be running 60 fps in duplicate mode though. And it’s just wow that does it. If I run cod mw19 in duplicate mode, I get over 100 fps still.

It’s not particularly relevant whether or not OBS has to be running - if it happens exclusively with the stream card on, and your monitor is 60 Hz, there’s no real point in us troubleshooting this further. In this case you have:

1. A situation exclusive to having a streaming card attached, indicating some kind of compatibility issue with the game/card (which we can’t fix in tech support - that’d be something to bug report on our bug report forums and reach out to the capture card company about)
  2. Which only causes you to drop to your monitor’s native refresh rate, which is normal, since it can’t display more FPS than 60 anyway.
  3. Which persists beyond a pc reinstall, which usually indicates a hardware issue or software bug.

We’ve hit the limit of what we can really suggest in support due to those reasons.