Forum System needs change: Forum ID system

There are situations when such a solution will result in more harassment though.

A person right now can switch characters if they feel like they are being targeted by a group of players unfairly and have a ‘fresh’ start. With bnet id, that will be impossible.

I actually don’t want my btag associated with my character either. That is the worst of both worlds imo. No other blizzard forum does that in fact.

Yeah exactly.

That should be reported if it’s genuine harassment, and a ticket sent in to ask for support on the issue with a real person.

1 Like

Umm…the rest do.

Your Btag is what you post on and your Profile is linked to it so they can see your account progress and chars.

Now, in Diablo 3 nobody can whisper you by character, they need your Btag but to use it you have to approve them adding you to the friends list.

WoW is the only forum that lets you “hide” behind alts when posting.

7 Likes

well why can’t you guys do that - you claim your solution will ‘fix’ the problem but it will do the exact opposite if there is a group of players targeting a certain person.

Because what we’re describing is a larger issue that permits toxic behavior of the whole forum and has for many years.

Adding a BTag system, adding account based ignores on the forums like in the game, and forcing people to EXPLAIN why they’re reporting a post would fix huge chunks of the problems we are describing.

that is because you named your character that - my bnet just shows up because I have no character with that name.

nvm - they must have changed it from last time I was on there but really no character shows up for me

In any case, I am dead against having all my characters displayed on here because I have been harassed in game numerous times when I used to post on my main.

No, my character is not named MissCheetah. That is my Battletag. My Battletag is what is used to post on ALL other Blizzard forums.

My Battletag links to my Diablo 3 profile with all my characters. It does that for everyone.

I linked you to my Btag profile to show you how that works and also to the Diablo 3 “armory” so to speak. Which shows all our chars.

Our Chars are not private information.

Ah ok - no it has never ever showed chars. The other forums all use Btag and always have.
Again, only WoW lets people alt hop.

1 Like

actually it doesn’t.

this is what I get

Thats true, but there is an upside to it. While its true it can be abused, but it also prevents people from resorting to ad hominems in arguments. New users when typing out messages for the first time even get a message, “Attack the argument. Not the user”. Cause too often people try to disrepute people as a way of winning arguments or even as a tactic to discourage people from posting. Anonymity makes this significantly less viable and sometimes there is a good reason people are hiding. Perhaps there are certain individuals who know something bad about someone and they will take ever opportunity to air that bad thing, but someone wants to have a good faith discussion.

Another thing to consider is that what it means to hide per say can be different. People often post with characters that are different then in game, or maybe they want to switch to another character, but it would be kind of a hassle to tell everyone who they are. And even if they did do this. There is another thing you are forgetting about.

What about brigading? What about these people on the forums who have a group of friends who go around liking each others posts and mass reporting topics getting the buried or targeting certain individuals. While not as deceptive, when someone has a cult of followers that do their bidding on the forums it can give a misleading idea of true support on the forums and sometimes groups like this tend to target individuals or try to demonize certain individuals or groups. This happens a lot in elf related threads.

Yes, it means you have not logged in to your D3 characters in quite some time. The website requires that to refresh from time to time. The WoW Armory does that too if you don’t log in for a long time.

1 Like

this is an issue - I have changed posting characters a number of times on this forum for precisely this reason. I will all of a sudden be getting post after post reported on a character, I switch characters and no problems.

If likes are at the Bnet level then each one of those “friends” gets one like per Bnet account. Right now they each get 8 WoW licences X 50 chars per license worth of likes.

I would argue having the trust levels, likes, flags, and ignore at the Bnet level reduces brigadding immensely. They go from 400 possible characters per Bnet worth of “likes” or flags to 1 per Bnet.

3 Likes

Yes, but WoW got special treatment, because we have different specific characters. Though I do think it should have your Bnet ID at the end of your character’s name.

Agreed. This is dumb.

If they link us all by Bnet ID next to our names, that may be able to change, but I doubt it with how Discord works.

Fixed if they do the Bnet ID in parenthesis after our names.

The flagging system needs to go back to a report system with more specific options and the option for a customized note, too.

That isn’t really going to change. It can’t be black and white.

Agreed. I like the idea of an optional box to type in what’s going on.

less than 6 months ago.

And was fixed. CS posted about it only a few hours ago.

Yes, that would work. It would ignore at the Bnet account level so anything posted by that Bnet account would be grey and say it was from someone you ignored. That is the base function of Discord and Discord works at the Bnet level for all other Blizzard games.

Probably long enough. I have some chars on mine that are not showing at all even though I have logged into the account. I have not logged into THOSE chars. The D3 Profile system is buggier than the WoW Armory “Beta”.

My point though is that active D3 players can’t “hide” and if they say something about a class, people can and will pull up their profile and check it. Super helpful for troubleshooting and advice. Sometimes abused just like Armory is here though to undermine what someone says. BUT, it is not a privacy issue.

2 Likes

If likes are at the Bnet level then each one of those “friends” gets one like per Bnet account. Right now they each get 8 WoW licences X 50 chars per license worth of likes.

I would argue having the trust levels, likes, flags, and ignore at the Bnet level reduces brigadding immensely. They go from 400 possible characters per Bnet worth of “likes” or flags to 1 per Bnet.

In a sense I agree because some people like to post on alts, but they aren’t necessarily liking their own posts or trying to deceive people, but sometimes they just want to have good faith arguments without having someone use something they know about them against them in as an attack. However if someone is caught posting on alts, this information can often be used to harass people. With a global battle id, this can never be done since everyone has one indentity.

Yay!

That’s good to know!

1 Like

I actually disagree. I am pretty sure overwatch gives people an option to have their characters displayed or not. If they do this, then they will need to be prepared to have a lot more in game harassment tickets made because some people on this forum can’t let things go and resort to sending mails in game.

I also wonder if the way the armory is set up it is even possible to link the bnet to characters, someone said it wasn’t for wow.

I don’t want that. Why would anyone want someone they didn’t choose to represent them.

1 Like

OW does not have any characters you make. It has two versions of the Profile. One is basic and shows your platform, account level, and rankings.

The other is an optional version of a profile that shows all your stats, achievements, most commonly played hero, etc.

That has not been my experience. If people can only see the chars you post on, like now, they can’t hunt down your alts.

Possible, yes. Likely, no.

Unlike D3, WoW does not show all your chars linked to a Btag in Profile. Each Armory Char is stand alone for WoW.

Mirasol-mannoroth (MissCheetah) would link to the Mirasol Armory
If I wanted someone to see the armory of a diff WoW char, I would have to switch to it.

WoWchar2-mannoroth (MissCheetah) - would link to the Armory for WoWchar2.

1 Like