Forum battletage bullying

Let’s eexxpplooorreeee options for battletags!
How about we connect with Blizzard about btags?
This is my journey with btags!

etc etc

lol

I had a particularly psychotic individual from the PvP forums find me in game, and proceed to tell me to hurt myself IRL across 10-20 toons that he would delete/recreate and send me mails. I reported every mail, reported every tell, and opened a manual ticket… They 100% ignored it and did nothing. He never even got a behavior warning.

He chased me thread to thread going absolutely berserk every time I posted anything - regardless of what it was.

My major sin? I thought Double Tap being removed was good for the game’s over-all health. That’s all. That was my major “mistake”. I supported Blizzard’s decision to remove DT.

It caused me to lock down all of my RaiderIO, CheckPVP, and forum account. I had to rename my two alts that he knew the name of costing me IRL money - and names that I had used for a decade.

There is absolutely nothing I want less than that psychopath having access to my battletag. I would full-send quit.

1 Like

Guess what w/ btags you can ignore him and he can never follow you from thread to thread.

5 Likes

Things didn’t happen for $1000 Alex.

3 Likes

Things that happened with screenshots of blacked out names posted in arena forums for $1,000 - Alex. I posted an entire imgur of it.

Shoo, fly. Shoo.

1 Like

If it meets the conditions of Ongoing Harassment they take that seriously. You have to report it correctly though. Ignore puts the account on Ignore, including every char on it - you have to do it on each of your chars though.

If someone were doing that then that is terrible. It is one of the reasons that Char-server the way we have it now is less secure. People can add your char, mail you, track you, see name changes, etc without your permission. On the forums you have to ignore them on each character.

Battletag on the forum means they can’t do that. They can’t talk to you at all outside the forums without your express permission. A friend request can be dealt with as a single click decline and block all at once. They can’t see your chars if you don’t post with them. They can’t contact you. You can Ignore the whole account on the forums, not char by char.

Also, keep in mind that just replying to you is not considered harassment on the forums. Even if you have them on Ignore. They don’t get penalized unless they are actually breaking the rules.

Edit - here is the info thread on Harassment and Ongoing Harassment. If it ever happens again someone will be happy to walk you through what you can do and how to get assistance.

6 Likes

…what

Try adding me. And take a screen shot.

Akston 1343.

This is more you not understanding how btags work.

Imgur

Obviously I painted over the name of the random person standing next to me that I targeted to protect the innocent.
It gave me their btag

Now for 1gold… where I am?

7 Likes

… or, ya know, people can just send their harassers to me.

I’ll play nice with them. Promise. :smiling_imp: :rofl:

6 Likes

good cop bad cop lol
i want to play lol

2 Likes

This is all I see

5 Likes

Ok so… somehow… my ENTIRE friends list disappeared off my battlenet chat messenger thingie.

Nevermind… fixed it. BTW… Don’t Update your privacy settings via the website while logged in. It will kick you out to update it. Lol.

It’s likely coming from people who sockpuppet who know that they’ll be exposed.

3 Likes

It shows up on your bnet friend browser. Obviously you need to actually send the friend request to see it

Now… that is odd…

One sec let me snip

Imgur

Mine obviously was sent in game.

Did the exact things listed in that article. Letter to letter, based on the article. Was told “They would investigate it, but couldn’t disclose” blah blah generic copy/paste. Nothing happened. This happened until I literally paid to change my characters names. I reported them over 50 times across 50 toons. Guy never missed a day of posting, never missed a day of playing PvP, never got a chat mute, nada.

Fun fact, if they send you a tell, log out, and delete the character before you can ignore them - you can’t ignore them. You can right click-> report them, but it does not flag an account ignore for a text report. The character “does not exist” to add to an ignore list.

With AHK, you can replicate this process endlessly in under 2 seconds from create->tell->log out->delete. Especially if you make an allied race that starts at 10 in a main city for instant log out. There’s… grossly… guides on how to do it online. Yes, this is considered botting and against TOS. I think that at the point of target harassing someone and telling them to hurt themselves IRL/hope they die of cancer/loved ones die of cancer/racial slurs/etc – AHK is not unrealistic in the scope of capability.

Battletag availability means they can do this across multiple games by simply having my battle tag. They can dump my btag into discords for targeted griefing in any Blizzard game. The avenue of griefing/harassment goes from one game-one person-one-time to every-blizzard-product-until-I-change-btag.

“DAT WUD NEVER HAPPPPPEN” - as League has target grief lists with account ID #'s listed so that if people change summoner names they can continue to be griefed on purpose. Riot has the same lackadaisical hands-off approach Blizzard has when it comes to protecting people from having their game time actively ruined by someone else. The outcome would be the same. You have a controversial opinion to a community, i.e. ret paladins need to be nerfed? Enjoy hate discords posting your btag hunting you down in-game to grief your keys for the rest of time – oh and btw, not reportable.

That’s the bit ya’ll aren’t willing to understand/accept – Btag availability opens up battle-net wide harassment 24 hours a day on any/every product associated with Blizzard forever. There are absolutely unmutable and unavoidable avenues of harassment that aren’t reportable, and they would be made super easy to do by giving everyone access to my battle tag. “well they could do that anyway…” - To one of my characters. I play 7 toons over 2800 IO, and over 1.8k RSS atm. This would open me up to account-wide permanent hostage situations. I would quit, because Blizzard would not protect the end-user in situations like this.

Internet privacy should be, should remain, and is paramount. It is far more important for me to have the advocacy and right to choose who I want having access to that information than it is literally anything else. My game, my account, my choice.

1 Like

Like how I play with telemarketers?? Ooohhh can I play?

1 Like

The only thing they can do with your Btag is send you a friend request. One per Bnet account. You can ignore it and let it just languish in your list, or Decline and block when you get around to it. They can’t actually talk to you.

They also can’t see your chars, servers, or location in game unless they were accepted by you onto the Btag list. Then your friend can only see what you are on that second, not a whole roster.

I guess i Just don’t see how they can do anything to you in-game or here via Btag. That is the one thing that has kept people from being able to harass me. Being green means people take out anger at Blizzard on the greens. They also personally get angry when I say something they don’t like - usually a policy they disagree with.

Over 10 years nobody has been able to bother me. I just decline and block unknown Bnet requests. All the horrible stuff said to me is on the forums and I let the mods clean it up.

I think the disconnect here is between Btag and char-server. How do you think people are going to get your char-server to harass you via your Btag? If you don’t post with the chars you don’t want known, people won’t know.

3 Likes

So I want ret paladins nerfed. Guy has my btag, pulls it up in the inevitable search api - finds all my toons, slaps me in his rage discord for wanting ret’s nerfed… People hunt me down to ruin my keys on purpose… not a problem?

Because… There’s already check-pvp, raiderio, etc that links all of your toons unwillingly that you have to consciously make accounts for in order to hide. Suddenly btags are everywhere - the api exists to pull that information and plaster it where you want… Heck, could make a discord bot that checks it for you with a command line and the battletag. Full character list. Woop, 7 toons griefed instantly versus… Zero? without? Zero. My privacy, my account, my choice.

Or, let’s say I’m in OW2. Guy sees my btag from a hate/rage list. Throws my game. or CoD. or Diablo 4. Or any other game where they would not have access to this information otherwise. Let’s say they hate me enough to actively chase me game to game trying to snipe/ruin my play time? There’s a reason big streamers have to hide their games/names/account names/etc - because people will try to ruin your time when they can’t control your play.

I think the disconnect is you’re in a perfect scenario where angry people don’t exist and try to detriment others who disagree with them. That spite, vengeance, and ego isn’t a main driving factor in “getting back” at someone. I’ve played League at Chal+ - grief lists are very real. They’re very real in WoW, too.

How do you think the guy in Diablo 4 actively griefing me is going to know I’m Semicasual the Prot Paladin from WOTLK Classic without being given access to my btag? Or literally any blizzard product ? Simply because I angered the wrong 13-16 year old and got put on someone’s target list on toxic discords.

It is not a broken system. The system is fine. There is no reason to try to shove people into whatever little battle-tag box that the latest forum fad is. Let people have their privacy, play their way, and be in peace.

Heck, I’m in favor of outright banning check-pvp and raiderio so that they can’t be used to drag peoples alts up to harass/grief.

1 Like

Which is why you can’t justify the change in the long run.

Harassers aren’t going to stop just by handing out everyone’s Btags.

If anything you’ll make it worse.