Forsaken population

Had she proclaimed that the Forsaken’s living counterparts were the true heirs of Lordaeron and that Lordaeron belonged to them you would be carrying her on your shoulders singing “oh she’s a jolly good fellow” and I would be scoffing at her proclamation.

It’s truly neither here nor there. I think PoV is everything and if they could squeeze a good story out of it that consists of closure that somewhat pleases both sides I would be happy. I think Christie did a wonderful job at showing how there were some from both sides that sought to reconcile.

I think all of the former citizens should work on their execution, Calia surprise defection wasn’t necessary. The Forsaken can move to different organizations freely. As much as Im completely disgusted and loathsome of the idea of everyone running into Anduin’s bosom, if she had waited and concocted a plan that didn’t involve the Dark Lady literally “watching over us” with 200 dark rangers at her back maybe it would have went a little better.

I’m actually weary of this recycled storyline. I’m ready for true closure, it’s been almost 20 years IRL since the fall of Lordaeron. Give this small group of former citizens both living and undead a true win were after one patch they aren’t fighting and plotting against each other. Additionally a plot were the Horde and Alliance isn’t undermining their efforts.

At this point this group could form a new diplomatic Lordaeron that incorporates some undead themes while fighting a common enemy. The common enemy doesn’t matter as long as the enemy doesn’t stem from the Horde or Alliance.

I personally would like to see their human counterparts truly adding them with their affliction/inner demons. BtS did a wonderful job of depicting those rare “nice Forsaken” but it would be folly to believe that most of the Forsaken were mostly unaffected by the curse of undeath.

4 Likes

Arthas (Arthur) found a sword in ice (stone), juxtaposed and re-imagined in early blizzard fashion. If done by current team it would just be a super duper magic sword.

That implies actual interest in exploring classic stories about the era.
Warhammer Fantasy Bretonnia is actually made interesting in how they incorporate concepts like The Green Knight and Lady of the Lake into their lore.
Think more “generic fantasy town”, and that is Stormwind and the like in a nutshell.

1 Like

There is the rub isnt it. People would use Calia to push their agenda. Personally, I think here whole “she needs to be a forsaken to understand her people” is foolish. We don’t actually have to change outself to walk in other people shoes.

I agree we will all need closure but this is Blizzard. Happy endings are few and far between and usually soaked in blood.

The entire incident was foolish on her end and wasn’t even the plan at all and a half baked scheme she made on the fly because some forsaken decided to whisper in her ear. But then again with the whole Jailer manipulating Sylvanas all along then it might have been for the best(Sylvanas was literally planning on sending spies if ever the humans/forsaken got close enough to just literally open the gates for her)

Again that entirely depends on how long Warcraft will last. If this was the direction it was going it would have made the Gathering a success instead of a slaughter. As it is right now, I doubt either side is a very reconciliatory mood. Ainhin might end up being right and someday we just end up with a split Lordearon. Who knows.

It doesn’t make it any less true. I’ll be the first to admit that I have biases, but I can also be objective and open about it. I can be empathic and see the story from different perspective doesn’t mean I have to like the other perspectives.

I’m not sure how she’s walking in the Forsaken shoes. If that was the goal they missed the mark. She is lightforged undead. I would be shocked if she can even decay.

1 Like

Yeah…it’s the pure form of Necromancy. I still think Lothraxion is the vector for this.

“High Priestess Ishanah stepped beside Anduin and said quietly, “Something is happening to Calia. Her flesh has not begun to decompose. Faol has been with her since he brought her here.” ”

Excerpt From: Christie Golden. “Before the Storm (World of Warcraft).”

I don’t think that’s the point of the arc. Especially since she’s been in Shadowlands looking for her “destiny”.

But…Saa’ra laid the groundwork for it. On it’s face it was stupid, and a betrayal of Anduin and what she told him.
Yet it was still set up by the bloody wind-chime. Who oh-so-magically was waiting in the wings for a corpse to come back.

“Sometimes the most beautiful and important gifts come wrapped in pain and blood.”

Excerpt From: Christie Golden. “Before the Storm (World of Warcraft).”

It’s reinvoked during the Stromgarde scene.

Yeah, all they’re doing is preserving strife, because, Warcraft. So far, normal resolution does not seem an option to the writers.

They also threw out Sylvanas’ planning about the future to make the scene. She gave up getting access to SW, as she had considered. It has so much feel of: Mortals made pawns.

That’s part of the inevitable march of life. Which they have not been delivering, and it’s dragging the story down.

But, Morally Grey!

2 Likes

I once heard, in an interview with Ion at the beginnings of BfA, that the story was going to mean there weren’t going to be any new forsaken. (You could make up PCs, but they were all going to be “old ones”).

Don’t know if this means that Blizzard has a plot arc around this (and it certainly doesn’t mean the writing will be less hamfisted).

1 Like

I can’t imagine what every forsaken feel… when Sylvanas left them… I mean this race was build around her . I think it was a really big mistake to through her in this direction at BFA and now shadowlands.

Seems like a good expansion to find that out in, but unfortunately only night elves matter.

Maybe humanity in WoW would be less boring if it got all that interesting lore that was built up over the course of 2 RTS games back instead of having it get siphoned off to sustain the Forsaken until ironically it’s the living humans who are desiccated husks while the zombies are full of life

2 Likes

Taking all the chocolate from the chocolate factory and then saying that chocolate factory sucks because it doesn’t have any chocolate anymore

1 Like

Just quoting this for posterity.
Also, jee whiz, I don’t think the Forsaken have any lore that can’t be summed up in two seconds from this video:

But please!!!

Now he says the Forsaken stuff was HIS stuff.

Omg, and we are the “entitled” ones, smh.

4 Likes

Humanity would be more interesting if it wasn’t simply a short sighted cut and paste of wc3 alliance that ignores and hand waves recent events. Its just been virtually wiped off the face of Azeroth. All its glory destroyed. Its holy places ransacked and desecrated. The starting zone of stormwind was a mistake and perhaps Kul Tiras or Glineas might have been a more realistic choice.

5 Likes

They can’t do this now because around Cata Blizz decided that all of that would be added to the Horde’s wheelhouse.

3 Likes

Pretty much any Kingdom other than Stormwind would have been a better starter zone for humans. Granted Kul Tiras back then may not have had the BFA culture i like a lot, but the point still stands. Even Stromgarde & Dalaran would have made more sense.

At least with the humans starting in Stromgarde, Dalaran or Gilneas they would have been in or on the border of the fallen Kingdom of Lordaeron and everything that happened to the Alliance there in WC3. Rather than the human story in WoW being greatly disconnected from that.

There were ways Stormwind could have worked and not felt so disconnected. Specifically if there would have been a large focus on the influx of refugees from the North & more notable characters of the Fallen Kingdoms. But of course we got none of that.

1 Like

What.
::He would look at slave Varian.::
::He would look at the horde’s wolf theme.::

3 Likes

What do you mean what’s not coherent about *checks notes * the formerly enslaved Orcs being allowed by the former-slave Orc leader named “Slave” to run a slave gladiator ring where one of the Human champions is somehow the Chosen Magical Avatar of the Local Wolf Wild God but specifically under the Native American Tauren name for the Wolf Wild God rather than his actual name

13 Likes

It sounded great during the Cube Crawl.

After the hangover… not so much. But it was too late then!

1 Like

Literally there was an infinite body of Arthurian Legends to use for shaping Varian’s story that didn’t make the Orcs incoherent or Varian completely absurd

And they went with the most ridiculous iteration of all “White Savior of Native Americans” trope

9 Likes