Forsaken population

So a long time ago I recall back in BfA that the forsaken are now alot fewer. Thar while many did escape(like the various vendors) many others were killed(like the people in Deathknell) now the question is will the Forsaken end up being played as a dying race(especially with the lack of the Val;kyr). Even if they had a way to reanimate new corpses the Alliance will hardly let their dead be turned into Forsaken thus making any attempts at creating new recruits a costly endeavor.

Yes we know population doesn’t really matter but I am curious if Blizzard will play up the “dying race” angle and more important find a new endgame for the Forsaken. Even the Before the Storm book talked about how maybe the second chance the forsaken got is good enough and that immortality might not be something they should be striving for.

i would like the story option that the people of forsaken welcome the dying ones from long sickness and suffering.

humans who fear the ultimate Dead, who don´t want to go into the shadowlands, want a postponement before the ultimate judgement for eternity…pilger to the forsaken to find …their fate there, as a forsaken, as an undead…cured from all plagues and sickness…maybe the forsaken make a giant ritual, like a funeral…shadowpriests tell storys from life about this person and…after they call your back in your body, you get the opportunity to choose a new name…a new destiny, a new life.

the funeral would be full of dignity, …its not a “haha, silly Human” …more like a funeral, a ritual of Dignity and…celebration.

you welcome a new member in your society.

9 Likes

Blizzard probably won’t. If they even address it they will make sure the future has hope for the Forsaken, because that’s good for the franchise. Telling the Forsaken playerbase that the race will die off would only play well into further faction conflicts, since it creates an ‘all or nothing’ narrative.

1 Like

The Forsaken are doomed to eventually die off. It’s inevitable, and this should be a larger driving force in their culture. You’d think that memento mori would be practiced among them more than anyone else.

For gameplay purposes they obviously won’t be dying off anytime soon, but in decades? Centuries? It’s going to happen and nothing can stop it. What’s more interesting is how they choose to handle that.

4 Likes

The easiest narrative solution, if the writers had a modicum of care and regard, would be:

• The Primus takes responsibility for the Forsaken since they are ultimately his children
  • Primus gives them a new raison d’etre and narrative purpose, which the Forsaken have lacked since Wrath, e.g. the Sepulcher is on Azeroth, and so the Winter Queen tasks the Night Elves and the Primus tasks the Forsaken with protecting the Sepulcher
  • The Forsaken are raised locals but are given the choice of returning to life or staying in the grave; particularly, Lordaeron humans who were sent to Revendreth or even damned to the Maw (e.g. Archbishop Benedictus Voss) and would rather a “do over” with a second life rather than be damned for all eternity or endure purgatory for eons.
  • Primus teaches the Forsaken “true necromancy” to prevent rot and decay; thus no Valkyr are needed (or Kyrians)
  • Primus and Marileth clean up Undercity
  • Calia is given a makeover

Thus the Forsaken retain their “Forsaken” nature (by being a race of Formerly Damned Humans) and have a purpose (protecting the Sepulcher of Azeroth).

11 Likes

No lord of death is going to give an entire race carte blanche to live forever Baal, and if the Primus tried to do what you’re proposing it would make him a villain, just as disruptive to the cycle of life and death as Zovaal.

1 Like

If they pull the Chekhov’s Gun and mass rez the Night Elves and restore Teldrassil, they would.

“The Forsaken” becomes “The House of the Forsaken”, auxillary forces of undeath of the Primus :slight_smile:

1 Like

No lord of death would do this either. They’re the lords of death, not the lords of cheating death.

Especially given the precedent it sets. These particular individuals get do overs for having tragic, unjustified deaths? What about everyone else who has had a tragic, unjustified death? Nobody like it when death claims the things they care about, but it needs to happen regardless.

2 Likes

Night Elf NPC # 283-d gets a do-over because they died in a mass-casualty event, but people like Varian or Anasterian or AU Velen don’t even though they made heroic sacrifices for their people?

It’s not about tragic unjustified death.

It’s about damnation.

If a soul is damned, the Forsaken are a way to allow for a do-over and behave in such a way the Arbiter is merciful the second time.

Thus, we fix:

• The raison d’etre of the Forsaken
  • Set a narrative reason for a cultural shift that isn’t “MUH LIGHT UNDEAD PRINCESS”
  • Keep the spooky horror element by making the Forsaken a race of humans (and elves) that were damned and are doing a do-over in undeath

AU Velen didn’t get sent to the Maw.

MU Archbishop Benedictus Voss is very much in the Maw right now.

I would wager he’d like a do-over.

2 Likes

They already have this, it’s called Revendreth. And there are apparently trillions of other afterlives that can fulfill similar purposes for those who have died so that they don’t have to intrude on the world of the living.

The very existence of undead on the living plane is a byproduct of the machinery of death breaking. The undead are not supposed to exist. This fact is one of the key elements of what makes them tragic and it’s one of the things that nominally makes them fit better in the Horde.

2 Likes

Some souls are sent to the Maw. A non-insignificant number of souls are damned on arrival.

And souls would probably prefer simply living another life in undeath, do better, and hope it avoid Revendreth entirely.

1 Like

Then the Primus could do exactly this just by pulling folks destined for the Maw into Maldraxxus instead.

There are literally infinite better places for the dead to be than “among the living.”

That is, they want to avoid punishment for their deeds?

To be fair I can’t think of anything more thematically fitting for the Forsaken than selfishly ducking any consequences for your actions.

The Primus seems like the guy that would rather give people a proper chance to redo and learn from their mistakes rather than simply harrow hell and fill his army with the damned.

He did, after all, expect Zovaal to meditate on his errors after an eternity in prison, and was sad he just became more evil.

Forsaken need a cultural shift while also retaining their narrative flavor.

Becoming a race of Formerly Damned Lordaeronians charged with a mission from the Primus makes perfect sense.

10 Likes

But he wouldn’t do it by letting them freely do whatever the heck they wanted, to say nothing of letting them continue to have their way on the plane of the living, a place that he is supposed to protect in concert with the Lords of Life.

You brought up Zovaal, but the Primus didn’t give Zovaal a “do over” by giving him free reign over an entire plane of existence. Zovaal’s “do over” was an eternity of time-out to think about what he did.

It really really doesn’t. I know that you want the Horde to have its own cosmic sugar-daddies like the Alliance has but there are a myriad of better way to do this.

I would also be remiss if I didn’t remind you that having a cosmic sugar-daddy comes with duties and responsibilities. One of the reasons the Alliance has cosmic sugar-daddies is because the Alliance virtually never calls on them for its own naked self-interest, even when it’s really, really, really tempting to do so.

If you want the Horde, or specifically the Forsaken, to get cosmic support you need to come to terms with the fact that that power comes with a price, and it’s a price I’m not sure you’re willing to pay. In this case, the price is your freedom to use that very power.

So if the Primus was going to be a cosmic patron of the Forsaken, it would preclude them using that power for anything so petty as land-disputes. The Primus would probably tell them to give up Lordaeron entirely in fact, because they can’t defend it and don’t need it.

3 Likes

i know i know, this statement have nothing to do with anything about this post but…am i allowed to say that i like the look of the new tset on dwarfhunters??XD

i like even the helmet!

I got the quiver off Sylvanas so I figured I might as well transmog my set to accommodate it.