For those having difficulty gaining altitude with dragon riding:

Just ignore the ad hominems. People who do that over a video game arent worthy of your time or energy.

3 Likes

Or blizzard could just give us normal flying so we dont have to bother with this nonsense

1 Like

It actually irritates me that they tied it to the spacebar. Sometimes when Iā€™m picking flowers, I need to actually jump a couple of times to get within range of the herb, and while you can jump on a dragon mount, double pressing the spacebar will cause you to take off. This happens often.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve never tried looking straight up. Usually I just jump, wait jump, wait, and do get some vigor regen. Iā€™ll try that though!

1 Like

start with the ones in waking shore, from there youā€™ll gradually gain them. I would generally focus on getting the ones that increase air recharge rate and then number of vigor points. Itā€™s probably easiest to get them in the order that the campaign runs. Waking Shore/plains/span/Thald. You may also be able to convince some one to let you tag with them to get some of the higher/more difficult ones as people can turn on a ride along function that will let them do the tricky part/land/let you pop on your dragon and grab it. You should probably also check to see if youā€™ve grabbed any by opening the renown window and clicking on the little button at the bottom of the left hand side to spend the glyphs.

Also props to Sorelai, nailed it.

1 Like

I canā€™t count the number of times I ended up airborne again just trying to get to a node.

3 Likes

Feel your pain sister.

I canā€™t count how many times I got to within inches of the ledge I was aiming for just to drop into some ravine and have to wait for recharge to try again

1 Like

right. should be completely optional. should have a setting to switch from normal to DR mode for those who enjoy it.

1 Like

Where you see nonsense I see immense fun. I really enjoy dragon riding. In the future there will be regular air swim flying along side of dragon riding, though.

Wisdom here.

You make a lot of positive contributions. Thank you.

1 Like

A lot of people may not think of that

1 Like

Really what DR needs is a way to slow down. Also maybe a half vigor upward flap when you just wanna get up a small ledge or something and not have to fly up, and zoom down trying to land on a tiny piece of land.

2 Likes

Nailed the AV entrance last week doing this, very satisfying afkā€™d and came back to the dungeon lol

Perfect. Dragon riding is nonsense.

Imagine trying to do a world quest with dragon riding: oh my quest item is on top of that hill, let me spend a vigor to take off and one vigor to propel myself forward.

You get the quest item and need to move onto next quest item. Using two vigor per quest item, if there are more than three quest items, you have to sit down and wait for vigor recharges.

So fun and immersive, lets me know how it feels to ride a dragon with asthma. Yay!

I just look up and jump over abd over after each flap.

Then I glide at a slight angle which rapidly refills my vigor as Iā€™m so high up.

ā€œLooking up,ā€ though a helpful suggestion that I will implement, is hardly what you would call intuitive. Yet people keep saying ā€œhOw CaN yOu NoT uNdErStAnD hOw iT wOrKS?ā€

1. Not all of us were so enthused to want to go and get the glyphs. I didnā€™t realize they made such a difference hence wasnā€™t initially planning on getting them. Even if I do learn HOW to fly the dragon, flying the dragon will never be the reason Iā€™m playing, so forgive me for trying to skip to what I do enjoy.

2. Making your camera look up when you go up is as close to counterintuitive as it gets. Why should that matter? Yet is does.

3. Not all of us have been at this for 3+ months. The amount of long flights Iā€™ve taken on this week-at-cap character is less than 10.

So, uh, thanks to all who are informative at least.

2 Likes

Make sure to keep your buffs up. Hereā€™s a WeakAura I made to track them easily:

https://wago.io/K_0mBxR2J

1 Like

I highly agree. It would be nice to press backpedal to apply drag/ air brake.

Some good news for you both (I think?):

Patch 10.07 notes on Dragonriding
Discover new Dragonriding Glyphs in the Forbidden Reach to unlock 2 new Dragonriding traits:

1. Aerial Halt (dragonriding) ā€“ Flap back, reducing forward movement.
  2. Airborne Recovery ā€“ Activating Aerial Halt while affected by Thrill of the Skies generates 1 Vigor.
2 Likes