For those against sharding at launch

Are you sure it was sharding that killed your server, and not the utter stinkfest that is BFA?

But, that is still a CHOICE that they made KNOWING the potential and probable consequences.

If they regret that decision, that regret will likely raise its head very quickly and they can reroll on a sharded server without much loss.

1 Like

All this talk of options is nice, but Blizzard doesn’t offer options.

Congratulations on completely strawmanning the argument.

The discussion was between “Everything has temporary sharding” vs “Provide two different server types, one sharded one not”.

Making everything have temporary sharding is only anathema to the die-hard purists. If you provide the choice, instead of forcing everyone into temporary, you’ll have too many people choosing the non-sharded, meaning that providing sharded server options was a pointless waste of time.

Some of you guys are acting like there is only gonna be 10 servers to choose from.

There probably ARE only going to be 10 servers to choose from. Classic isn’t that big a project, and it’s not meant to replace retail WoW.

This doesn’t make any sense. How can too many choose the sharded option? There is no such thing because they can just shard. Meanwhile those who don’t mind the possible overpopulation have the choice to play non-sharded servers knowing full well going in the potential inconveniences. According to YOU those inconveniences won’t even exist since most people would choose the sharded versions.

Heh, you don’t even realize your own logic supports a sharded and non-sharder server option.

And you are certain of this how?

1 Like

I understand that and figured as much. But pretending that it is always going to be the same especially when some of us are extreme about it. There’s a difference between dealing in absolutes for the sake your PoV/side i.e. threatening to leave if things don’t go your way, compared to dealing in absolutes out of experience and sheer honesty.

It’s why I say “anything Blizzard ever again” rather than just WoW.

Not that I am calling you it, but it’s always important to understand that it is the fool who thinks their self wise whereas the wise man whom thinks himself the fool.
The “I know a lot” part doesn’t bother me. It’s the “I know what you will do better than you do” act. It irks me the wrong way. Mostly because I am generally a man of my word and one who doesn’t back down. And I honestly don’t get vitriolic on these forums if ever. So it’s rare for me to argue on these things.

I understand that. Well a big example would be my own guild I was in, a Dwarven one known for defending IF every time Horde raided it. When sharding came out, the massive 40-80man horde raids would be sharded to themselves thus defending the city was no longer even possible. It completely killed the server… a RP-PVP server mind you. Even when Blizzard stated they wouldn’t do it to RP servers. City raids used to happen every single day on my server, now they never happen, at least back when I was on still. I got on just to see how things were during that little 4 days free play thing, and yeah I’ve never seen my massive guild which has been around since BC that low in online numbers ever before.

Simple logic based on what Blizzard themselves have said and done with regards to the project.

I think your “logic” is conjecture.

Conjecture can be logical. In this case, it IS logical to assume there won’t be that many servers.

Do you know what conjecture means? You are making a conclusion based on incomplete and incorrect information.

That’s the thing about the server I played on. Massive wpvp, major guild events, always stuff like that going on. Even during the worst times before BfA people played because we had great community and things never went down one bit. Sharding hits and everyone notices, all the big guilds unable to do any of the events they used to.

It completely killed the giant behemoth horde guild on our server that capped out two entire guilds and had a login requirement of just a couple days. Because they couldn’t do anything in massive raids like before.

How’s my information “incorrect?” Everything points to Classic being a small side-project aside from Blizzard’s one little throwaway line at BlizzCon. They’re not going to give it a buttload of servers like Retail has.

Totally missed my point.

Then what WAS your point, if that wasn’t it?

They offer different types of servers do they not?

Those sound like options to me.

2 Likes

They’re also offering a Classic option, which many people said they never would.

That said…he’s probably right. I can talk about the positives of offering sharded and non-sharded server options. It doesn’t mean I think it’ll ever happen. :wink:

PVE, PVP, and RP. Yeah.

That does not mean they’ll ever offer sharded and non-sharded versions of each.