For those against sharding at launch

You sure it was just sharding? I’ve heard so many people say that and come to find out the problem actually was more in the use of CRZ and phasing. Surprisingly some people don’t know the difference.

And you can call me anti-classic if you want, but there is a reason I still wear that Knight-Captain title on this character. I’m also not sure why I would be anti anything I’m going to spend years playing.

You have a choice. Shot in the head, or a pole rammed through your head.

Its not much of a choice.

Yes I know the difference. As said it killed most/all major events on my home server.

Want to know the truth? I called you that because of that “Yeah I don’t care” remark. To bring out a response simply because you used a “I don’t care” as a deflection.

My only real problem is that “you’ll be back” attitude like you know everything. I am not a fan. But then again you don’t care so whatever.

Maybe you should clarify by pointing out the factors that make it more of an illusion of choice.

Such as peer pressure and bandwagoning for example. Yes there’s a choice, but is there REALLY a choice?

Sharding didn’t kill WoW alone. The thing that killed WoW was the destruction of community and collectivity.

Sharding prevented you from seeing all the other people on your server who were out and about. CRZ prevented you from getting to know the people on your server because people knew that they’d flash in and out of existence and no-one ever really came to care about people. And LFD was the icing on the cake, ensuring that you only ever met people for 20 minutes, and then never saw them again. Or if you did, never remembered them.

The biggest overarching problem with WoW today, IMO (and in the opinion of many) is that there’s no reason to get to know anyone, making it feel like a single player game, not a Massively Multiplayer game. And a single player game where you’re forced to grind endlessly for minimal gain is essentially an non-starter.

EDIT: And server merges slammed established communities together causing unneeded drama.

It didn’t kill wow alone yes. But it killed the community of my server which was still alive till BfA.

Fair enough. Though sharding occurred well before BFA so it didn’t kill it immediately.

Yeah it took some time. Guilds tried workarounds and everything, things went on for a while but the things that made the server great didn’t return thus most of our community died off.

Guilds no longer make massive events like they did, our 100+vs100+ major battles are obviously gone but even the more common smaller ones are not even viable now.

Sure it is.

Do you want “stable servers with less competition” or do you want to see everyone around you and accept that doing so will likely mean much more competition and instability?

In all probability, no one is going to get everything. Sometimes people must make a choice as to what is more important to them.

You’re right. There were 8 million. But I’m not sure what your point is. If given the choice, how can anyone complain about the outcome? People who don’t want so much competition for quests and nodes can choose their server. People willing to put up with such things to experience a larger population can make their choice. So what’s the problem?

And far more servers. There were 89 servers and 1.5 million at launch, which is what we’re talking about sharding for.

If all those people turned up in one zone, you won’t get your vanilla experience anyway, you’ll get a far worse one.

1 Like

That’s nice. And I see you completely ignored the question. Deflect, dodge, change the subject. The tenets of…a certain type of poster. :yum:

I can speak only for myself, but I would gladly accept that “far worse” experience if doing so meant that I would never have to suffer the game cancer that is sharding.

1 Like

Question was already answered. Repeating it doesn’t mean I’m going to repeat my answer. I know that certain type of poster too. “If you don’t repeat your answer every time I post the same question, I win!”

I looked at your posts and don’t see an answer as to why a choice of sharded and non-sharded servers is a bad thing.

Well it’s just my opinion but I do think lots of players that say if " X " is in I’m gone will still be playing Classic because whatever it is will probably be small enough that you can’t justify staying away just for that. Sharding in this case will be very limited, so yes I think most of the people complaining are mostly blowing hot air. If you are in here this much already, you’ve got more than just a casual interest.

And yes I have an attitude like I know everything, but that’s because I do know lots of things. I’m also rather blunt, so hey I do rub certain people the wrong way.

As far as sharding ruining events on WoW I wouldn’t really know. Those stopped happening on my servers long before sharding was a thing.

Because its a non-choice. No-one is going to choose sharded because they all will claim (or will be pressured by friends into wanting) the “genuine” experience. So we’ll have 8 million people on a “limited number of servers” for the first 3-6 months making it far more unplayable than the original game.

All this is in my responses above. And the last time I’ll repeat it.

I’d choose it, so already your argument is moot.

By the way, do you know how many times I’ve heard ‘No one would choose to play on a Legacy server, so why offer that option?’ from Wall of No posters over the years? Such a statement is completely meaningless.

1 Like

You’d choose sharded? Well one counter example doesn’t disprove the general luckily.

Also, I doubt you would if given the choice of a deserted server vs where everyone else is going.

I’m demonstrating the complete lack of logic in what you’re saying. People wouldn’t play sharded, because they don’t want to deal with the overpopulation? So they’d choose to play on sharded servers, hence the unsharded ones will have less people and won’t even need to be sharded.

I mean…this is common sense stuff.