Flying feels terrible now

I feel the 5 seconds is a good compromise and it doesn’t bother at all.
It is not like you’re racing against someone.

How are those 5 seconds holding you back?

Well, thanks for sharing your opinion about my argument.
At least I have one. You’re only complaining.

Okay but what if they added the convenience of being able to skyride with any mount and just…not added the inconvenience of a 5 second cast time?

8 Likes

This is Retail’s biggest complaint right now? A 5 second cast time to switch freely between flying modes with no cooldown or restriction otherwise?

lol.

Well, there can be so many reasons why.

I’d say probably it is technical. Have you seen for example the explanation of the Diablo 4 devs about why we had limited stash space? Reference: https://x.com/JPiepiora/status/1682622069807394817

Over the years there have been many videos of devs explaining how they did things on wow. Like how and why they have removed Strand of the Ancients BG, how hard it was to ensure that both teams would start together and having trouble to get the right timer for both boats to reach at same time the destiny and allow players to land… so they had invisible npcs inside each boat when they got to the docks, they would meet another invisible NPC there, and they were hostile to each other, and then when they attacked, they would die and then start the BG (I can’t find the interview right now lmao).

Anyway, I think 5s is probably the safest net they were able to find to make sure that switching the flight modes for all mounts were propagated and wouldn’t cause a crash / lag / bugs.

I’d save this to ask a dev in a future Blizzcon, they like to explain the whys sometimes.

If there’s a good reason they should come out and explain it because it was only a few weeks ago that we had the ability to switch just by switching mounts.

I get that sometimes an update can cause a problem and people will always complain, but it helps if you’re gonna make a system worse to explain why it’s getting worse. It shouldn’t be up to us to assume that they probably had a good reason for it, hopefully.

Skyriding isn’t good for repeated short hops, like you do with gathering professions. This makes doing that stuff feel a lot worse.

I know they probably had a reason for that, and I can only assume that reason had to do with speed.

However, I still feel the need to post this:

5 Likes

Well, I’d like for them to come and discuss with players more but people aren’t civil.
The more they talk the more people go for their throats. Can’t blame them for limiting the communication.

It is good actually, but that will be only in TWW because they moved the gathering skill that gives vigor into the profession tree now, but for doing quests probably it will be more effective using ground mounts or Steady because the vigor buff from killing mobs was removed.

I had some many reactions to that tweet, but I also used to be a programmer and I’ve seen things that scarred me for life.

Oh I get why they don’t come down into the mud with us on the forums.

Personally what I’d want is more blog posts about stuff. I remember when they went into detail explaining why making vanilla run on their modern servers was a difficult task, and that was nice to see.

Honestly even with that skill I found it better to just switch to a steady flying mount if there were several nodes in an area, but it’s still better to use skyriding to find those areas.

Or rather, it was better to switch between them before they added a 5 second cast timer to doing it.

2 Likes

I have changed to old flying once since the patch since I was ferrying a lowbie friend and didn’t want to aggro mobs as frequently. How often are people switching that 5 seconds is some huge game breaking thing? This all sounds like a big overreaction.

1 Like

I despise the new style of flying, have since it was addded in DF. It is nice that so many people love it, still sucks for the people that hate it though.

The cast time is not needed to swap, the only time I swap is if I feel like I have to use Dragon Flying to not get left behind. It is unfortunate that New flying is so much faster than old flying, makes me feel forced to use it even though I hate it.

Locking old flying behind pathfinder is also extremely stupid.

4 Likes

If or When WoW ever shuts down Flying from TBC shouldn’t even make the top 100list reason of why the game eventually failed.

I like Dragonflying and have no issues if they do eventually take out old flying but suggesting that flying has anything to do with how or why poorly WoW has done over the years is laughable.

At this point, absolutely no.
Back then, yeah.

Weed fish?

Its the saying “Smells (stinky) fishy”

Skyriding with any mount isn’t a convenience it’s a cosmetic fundamentally.

It’s not needed though. There is no objective reason it needed to be a 5 second cast time.

Good compromise to what?

It’s a straight up nerf to something we had for months.

It might not bother you, but it is in fact a bother to many. Hence this thread.

ha… I just realized your name is “Henceforth”

I can’t speak for the person but my intention here is feedback. I think they should remove the cast time entirely and make it an insta-cast toggle where you’ll have to change mounts for it to take effect. Also make it triggerable via macro and people can use macros or add ons to change it based on the mount they’re using.

The real question is: Why are you defending a QoL nerf? If you don’t mind the increased duration you should be neutral on it. Why are you supporting it? Do you LIKE having to wait an extra 5 seconds? What do you get out of it?

We got it pretty cushy in retail /j

IDk if this is the biggest complaint but it is one.

It’s a complaint because it’s a nerf from 1.5 seconds to 6.5 seconds. People usually don’t like thigns taking up more of their precious time then it used to.

That’s just something you’ve pulled out of your rear. Inventory limitation being technical makes sense. But this one doesn’t. If it needed a cast type (I highly doubt that) it could be as little as 0.5 seconds.

Agreed if there is a hang-up then we deserve to know. But I feell ike a blue would’ve told us that already.

But even if there is some weird technical limitation there is work arounds.

I can. We have moderators for a reason.

It’s not a “huge game breakign thing” but it is a QoL nerf for seemingly no reason other then to disssuade switching.

5 Likes

It is a convenience.

It was asked, which is why it was added.

There can be many, problem is that you don’t accept any either.

For the added convenience.

5 seconds is nothing.

1 Like

Explain how it is: “a quality or situation that makes something easy or useful for someone by reducing the amount of work or time required to do something .”

Who asked for the cast time?

There can be. In theory. But unless blizz says something then there is no reason to assume there is. We don’t make positive assumptions. I don’t assume there are bunnies living in burrows under the moon. But if the bunnies come out and reveal themselves, I’ll believe it. Until then I’ll operate under the assumption that there are no bunnies. Same here with there being technical limitation requiring this. Until they say as much I’m going to assume that’s not the case.

What convenience? How is it convenient? How does it make anything easier?

5 seconds is objectively NOT nothing. In fact, 5 seconds is infinitely more then nothing.

If you’re someone who only has an hour to play a day and you decide to go farming herbs. And frequently switch flight styles it’ll slowly add up. Need to switch 10 times in 10 minutes? That’s almost 10% of your game-play being taken up by switching.

If you switch roughly once a minute. You’re looking at 60 switches in your hour play-period. That’s 5 minutes or 1/12th of your precious limited play time. It’s not A LOT in itself but it does add up. It’s also frustrating to experience. MAYBE NOT TO YOU. But you’re not every player in the world.

2 Likes

people attempting to fly high up on a pvp realm actually let me use items like this.

It was funny watching people fall to their deaths.

I think flying feels great.

Travel form FTW!

Are we discussing semantics or opinions here.
I’m not going to change your opinion on this matter. This back and forth exchange isn’t moving forward because your vision is so limited and you can’t even concede the possibility of what I’ve said and I’ll demonstrate again here.

Comes with the package. you can’t always get what you want.

You’re absolutely wrong here, because you have no evidence whatsoever to the contrary.

Just because it is not convenient to you being able to skyride with any mount it doesn’t mean it is not a convenience for majority of the players.

On the other hand has infinite time to argue for nothing in the forums.

1 Like

I asked a question. I don’t see how allowing more mounts to dragonride/skyride/dynamic flight was in any way an added convenience. We can’t even begin to discuss if it’s a equal convivence gain to loss ratio if we can’t even establish that what was gained was even a convenience.

If you don’t have an answer, then I’m going to dismiss the claim that it was a convienece.

So we lost a QoL feature for a cosmetic addition to the game. Something that added no increased functuality.

Now I’m going to be honest. I LIKE that (almost) all flying mounts can skyride. But I don’t like losing QoL. Anything that makes the game slower, or more cumbersome for no demostrated reason is frustrating and annoying and puts a sour taste in a lot of players mouth.

As I said most folks wouldn’t enjoy it if hearthstone had a 40 second cast time. Lock closet at a 10 second cast time. Mage teleport/portal at a 40 second cast time. So why are you okay with this particular feature have a 4 times as long cast time?

Yeah it obviously did. But there is no known reason that it HAD to “come with the package” therefor unless further information is given it can be assumed that they chose to add it in. It’s like those laws that do something good but they snuck in some added nonsense that had nothing to do with the core law. There was no obligation for a 5 second cast time.

This is a video game. That is meant to have wide ability. A random QoL nerf is bad business.

Compared to say the tier pieces not being warbound which they DID admit was due to a technical issue.

In what way is it “a quality or situation that makes something easy or useful for someone by reducing the amount of work or time required to do something .”

FOR ANYONE. Not me. For literally any potential person how is being able to dynamic flight with (almost) any flying mount making something easier, or useful but reducing amount of work or time required?

Hyperbole. None of us have infinite time. Not even the universe itself.

2 Likes