Flying feels terrible now

I have played this game since it came out, with occasional breaks, and the best mounted movement has felt to me has been during Dragonflight/MoP Remix. The ability to choose between between two things on the fly contributes to this.

1. Slower precise flying for someplace hard to navigate while flying, with the bonus of being able to go afk on a whim when real life requires it, without having to search for someplace safe to land.

2. Faster, more involved flying for when I want to move someplace fast or feel much more immersed in the game itself, and a much greater method of crossing several zones while afk.

I think being able to do both by only a 1.5 cast time to swap between mounts allows the ability to play the game at a pace that felt as freeing as it did immersive. I only speak for myself, but I swap between the two methods of flight constantly, and this new change severely cuts into the amount of time it takes to do absolutely anything in the open world.

Now, if I want to change how I am flying, it takes a lot more effort. First I have to land, then dismount and cast Switch Flight Style, and then resummon my mount. This takes 6.5 seconds. 5 whole more seconds to change flight style for really, no apparently good reason.

This is not to say I dont like many mounts having the new flight type, I think it is a massive improvement to the game, but why not make the spell a 1.5 second cast that can be done while mounted, but still/landed. Retaining the same exact timing it would take to swap flight styles as before. The change feels like a punishment compared to its previous iteration.

I hope others agree with my sentiment and urge blizzard to shorten the time it takes to swap between flight methods.

EDIT: There’s been loads of good suggestions, outside of just shortening the cast time. (Which, imo is the weakest of the alternatives.)

Instant swapping.

Swapping while flying using aerial halt.

Instant but dismounts, allowing for the same time to swap.

Set individual mounts to what style you choose.

Set individual mounts to a style, which those outside of that default to your chosen flight style.

Set individual mounts to a style using mount equipment, the rest default to your chosen flight style.

Instant cast toggle, but swap mounts/remount to take effect. Or take effect when landing.

Make Dynamic Flying slots in the mount tab like Battle Pet slots. (Or the reverse way, slots for static flying)

(I’ll add if I missed some, or if there are more suggestions)

90 Likes

It should be insta cast but you need to dismount and remount for it to apply. similiar to wirling surge/lightning surge.

21 Likes

I agree, anything to improve the ability to traverse the game world is a plus. My suggestion is thinking for balance reasons only :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s nothing compared to AFK-ing in capital for hours, that we do after first month of the season. :confused:

2 Likes

wow are you saying the game is requiring you to be mindful about your surroundings and it can be dangerous to leave your character unattended?

That is why TBC flying shouldn’t exist anymore, at least not how it is right now.

16 Likes

To be fair, you could just get up and let your character die as well since you can just respawn. Being mindful doesn’t matter at that point, sometimes when only having a short time to play the game, having as little barriers to play is only a good thing.

7 Likes

remember they got rid of flying - this is really dragon gliders or kites they float or glide

4 Likes

Gliders can’t usually gaina ir

2 Likes

Your feedback is always welcomed and you took time to type up your post so thank you. I concur with your sentiment that the current toggle switching time is very punitive to people that like to use both.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

13 Likes

The Time it takes to switch styles to hover for safety is surely the same time it would take to just fly to a safe spot no?

2 Likes

The mount changes really screwed over Druids especially. Being able to dragon fly then switch to bird was fantastic.

36 Likes

how can you switch to hover??

Flying IS powered gliding.

Why do people struggle with this concept?

11 Likes

All this fuss over…what was it?

Is -absolutely- insane to me.

7 Likes

the mount changes are hurting my gameplay for sure, on top of the time gating i now get forced into dragon riding mode anytime i get out of an instance, i can only assume this is a bug but its just another annoyance in the already annoying change :frowning: i hope they get this mount stuff improved, i really just wish we could set certain mounts to be dragon riding like it was before. and leave my flight form as normal flying all the time.

8 Likes

Or I suggested in another thread let us set INDIVIDUAL mounts on what style we want.

So example you have two different mounts on your hot bar for fast access to them.

Mount A is set to sky riding.

Mount B is set to tbc/steady flying.

Then you at least don’t have to toggle the mode every time.

28 Likes

I still stand by most of backwards decisions with how Flying/Skyriding works is based out of pure spite from Blizzard.

They tried to kill flying in WoD and it didn’t work, so they “compromised” by throwing in Pathfinder, but never made it accessibly right away until you ran the world on foot or through various random means of traversal they wanted you to.

They tried to kill flying with Dragonriding, the interactive flight that they even made sure to give you right away. Didn’t work people complained and complained, so they finally dropped regular flying, but once again locked it behind Pathfinder which if you recall was actually much stupider until enough complaints came in so that it didn’t require a Renown grind.

And now in TWW, they introduced the toggle to allow most mounts to Skyride, but then made the toggle effect all your mounts preventing you from picking and choosing. And to cap it off, they locked regular flying again to Pathfinder for functionally no reason other than forcing you to “play our way”.

This whole saga is just one long journey of Blizzard being spiteful at the existence of flying. They couldn’t kill it when they wanted to, so now they are just going to make it as annoying and as inconvenient as they can until everyone gives up and shuts up.

27 Likes

That 7.5 seconds adds up, especially when you find a bunch of mining/herb nodes on ledges you’ll have to waste vigor getting to, or sit there and uselessly cast.

We did not have to do this two days ago and the gameplay was fine. Blizzard broke this for literally no gain whatsoever.

20 Likes

The gain was not being limited to a half-dozen dragonriding mounts for the next 2+ years…

6 Likes

I would like to instantly drop Skyriding with Aerial Halt. There was a thread on that, and it sounded like a really dynamic and great idea. (E.g., pressing Aerial Halt a second time while the “hover” effect is active instantly swaps to regular flight.)

I think re-applying Skyriding should have some toll gates though. I think it should be castable while mounted but when activated, you start with no vigor and no vigor charges (so you really should do it after you fly directly upward to get a diving start).

It adds depth, it adds function, and it achieves what both groups want. And it does it in a way where you are interacting with the game world instead of playing a User Interface with starred and unstarred mounts.

3 Likes