Flight: why are we waiting longer than we did in Legion?

I’m all for more options. I don’t want to see a major feature of BFA demolished because that, to me, is just another way of removing one option of playing the game. Having the war mode toggle (A for PVP, B for flight) felt like a good compromise that was the best of both worlds from my point of view.

However, this is not something I’m necessarily parroting outside of this thread (in fact I never discuss this, like, at all so it’s not very likely Blizz devs will see my post and go “hey, he’s right!” and suddenly no-one has flight in BFA ever), and for the sake of not dancing around with cyclical logic I will simply defer to your experience as the PVPer. Whatever happens happens, and we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

As I said, your understanding of trivialize and mine are different. And since you seem to be having difficulty with the actual meaning of the first sentence, it’s a non too subtle rip on the current dev team for their apparent lack of ability(which they are blameless for) or desire(<lazy) to create content that incorporates flight.

As for reasons why I, and many, many others want flight, we’ve stated those reasons exhaustively. ActiBlizz is just making excuses and being stupid about flight, apparently out of laziness. I despise laziness.

A lack of talent is excusable, if one simply can not do something, that’s not a poor reflection on them. I can not fly a helo. Am I a bad person because I can not fly one? No, I’m not, but what if I took a job where flying helos was a requirement?

I want flight enabled because, for me, it improves my immersion in the game and makes WoW more enjoyable to play. Why is this, you might ask? Maybe it’s because I can’t fly a helo. Maybe its because, for some reason even I can not explain, flight makes the game more enjoyable for me. Maybe its because I think the current content, class design, and pretty much everything except the artwork in WoW are just plain garbage and would be more palatable with flight enabled.

It matters little to me at this point, my sub has been cancelled and will expire in a couple weeks, and will stay that way until flight is enabled. At which point I will return to finish pathfinder and see if they’ve found some talented game designers for WoW somewhere. I hope they will have by then, if not, I will likely be parting ways with WoW and ActiBlizz in a more permanent fashion.

Semper Fi! :us:

9 Likes

That would be impossible to implement. The sky box is created pretty early, and every thing is created inside. The box is set from the start and very difficult to change, which is why we bump our head flying up the Hygal from Fellwood. Classic zones are the only ones that had to be reworked to allow flight. When it’s done from the start, there is no “extra effort” required, thats a crap excuse. If you know your tree will be viewed from above, you build it that way. They don’t have to redo everything when flight is finally released, that would be kinda stupid.

I did a little zone creating in Unreal Tournament, which is the main reason why I can appreciate the work the art department puts into this game. Every brush, the lighting, moving brushes as small as blades of grass, every thing you see is put in one at a time. I was never a pro, but I did enough to know just how difficult it is to get everything looking decent. These guys are amazing.

4 Likes

Very interesting; thanks for the expertise. I suppose that’s why flying never came to Silvermoon. It was never built with the intention of viewing the city from the top down, and there’s probably a lot there they want to hide.

Ok, Ion. You might as well add your famous quote that " People who want flying, are lazy. "

Most of us know that blizz employees play horde. And every time I see a horde toon post drivel like this, I think it has to be one of them.

3 Likes

Because pathfinder was simply a means to remove flying, without actually removing flying.

7 Likes

So you don’t actually have a point is what you’re saying.

Yes, Ion. I do have a point. We get it, you don’t want flying. All you need to do is look back at WoD and see what happened when you made the decision to remove flying.

8 Likes

at this point why even worry about flight. it’s really no surprise that ion has lied yet again. maybe it’s not even ion. perhaps he’s just a lackey following the new activsion mantra. whatever the case, or whoever is responsible, there is not much we as customers can do about it.

we will get flight at the one year mark of a two year expansion, at the launch of a new zone with no flying. in this current content there is nothing worth flying for now, let alone 4 or 5 months from now. WQ’s, and invasions/incursions are not as lucrative in XP for alts or rewards in general as their legion counterparts. in other words, they are not worth doing now, and they definitely won’t be worth doing by the time we finally get flight.

whether it’s ion, or activison, the current policy makers have clearly shown that they have very little concern about their customers. using flight as the carrot at the end of a stick and then finally enabling it for a few months of useless content is demeaning, and pathetic.

6 Likes

Get @ed.
No comment.
Just @.

1 Like

But you can fly from level 60 to level 110! You should find that the most amazing part about the game!!

It is the isn’t it.

Because this game is being designed to drag us along long periods of time. They’re purposely increasing time-consumption in many aspects of the game. This whole attempt at removing flying then bringing it back with a patch and grind wall is one them. Why design more content when you can lock certain features behind time-gating then releasing it later to pretend it’s content? :unamused:

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve heard any excuses (they really haven’t said anything this expansion about it). I’m pretty sure they decided to stick to 8.2 and they’re not coming out with 8.2 until they feel the story or whatever driving it allows. It will be kind of sad and funny if the new zone is in 8.2 and it’s an underwater zone at the same time they unlock flight.

Does it? It saves a minimal amount of time in most places. The delay to mount is the same for flying and ground mounts, and in many case the distance to the next node isn’t that great.

Flying comes out about the same time people start taking breaks from WoW. We get flying so late now a lot of people are bored, taking a break, not even raiding as much. So are prices going down because of flying, or because there is less demand for resources? It’s just as likely by the time flying comes out people need that stuff less, and they have leveled alts that can gather it without their main paying AH prices.

Your “facts” are just assumptions based on late expansion patterns that could be normal fluctuations or have nothing to do with flying in any case.

It’s just popular to blame flying on everything to hold your “fanboy” ground. Flying ruins the AH market, flying ruins PvP, flying ruins immersion, flying ruins the entire game. As far as I’m concerned those are all lies. We had flying for many expansions very early in expansions back when the game was wildly more popular. So I’d say lack of flying is ruining the game. I’m just as likely to be right as you are without any evidence. I just like flying and now I don’t play WoW because it’s not readily available anymore.

7 Likes

LOL!

Tell ya what. I’ll time a run on the ground and a run flying when flying comes out and we will see which is faster because:

A) I can get usually get the herb before the mobs can hit me and then I’m gone in the air without them even being able to give chase. Between the herbalism glove enchant, bardings, and not having to unmount if you have a golem/are a druid… It’s insanely fast.
B) I can ignore any terrain that would have slowed me down before (like waterfalls) and not only access more herbs that were out of the way but make a very streamlined route to them.

With flying, not only will more people probably take up herbing, but the supply will increase and prices will go down because it takes less effort.

1 Like

when flying comes out

By the time that happens you may very well have the AH all to yourself.

2 Likes

Oooh very dramatic and not really important to my point at all.

1 Like

because of the faction war and warmode.when they add flying in warmode its done.

but since the faction war is done now we mite get flying soon.