Flight: why are we waiting longer than we did in Legion?

Would think Ion would take a good look at the subscriber numbers, BFA’s rating on meta critic & how light a LOT of the servers are with players.

Hell their own Time played Metric must show them people are logging in for an hour or two and then logging.

Maybe the pruning that happened in Blizzard isn’t enough incentive enough for him to just eat his pride and scrap Pathfinder 2 and just hand it out.

With BFA being this bad, peeving off the remainder of the customers is a great way to earn his own pink slip.

Remember Ion, Activision just fired a lot of people - bullseye can be on your back next. Eventually they will come to the guy who is causing them to have to fire people to pay their share holders. YOU use to be safe, your safety isn’t a sure thing now. - Just like I told you back in WoD this day would come when people lost jobs. /told you so. You thought I was just being a Jerk. I WASN’T!

As for PVP. PVE’ers don’t care and neither does Activision since they seem to have let go A LOT of Esports staff.

5 Likes

Lets all be honest, gankers are the only group of “wpvp” ers that no flying affects.
Recently while leveling up a 90’s Shaman, a hunter with a skull on it tried to take me out right as I was lifting off. I survived, and flew above him while the guy tried so hard to climb a mountain to get high enough to shoot me. I could just see the rage build up as I laughed at him and denied him the shot of self esteem he obviously needed to make his sad life somehow seem relevant. He went at this for a good 30 minutes, ending in him flying up to me and trying to one shot me while he fell to the ground and died.

The fact is that this game’s wpvp is completely pointless. It’s just gank squads running around looking for red to kill. There is no purpose. There is no wpvp objective. No territory to control, no castle to hold. It’s just completely pointless.
You can’t even log on to your main and go back to gank the ganker due to sharding, making it even more pointless.

WoW is simply not a game that has relevant wpvp. It is completely baffling that the entire population is grounded to cater to the 12 people that need their self esteem boosted by killing someone 40 levels lower.

4 Likes

At this point it feels like childish petulance on Ion’s part. I’m just about reaching the end of my tolerance to devs being prats about flying. They will stretch it out longer and longer each expansion until it is effectively removed, and then there will be back slapping all round about how they outsmarted us. Really not very nice people at all and not what Blizzard used to be about as a company.

12 Likes

Majority of players voted against flying. Blizz is trying to do the right thing here.

Seconded. Would be awesome if they made a pvp shard that had everyone grounded. There will at least be some new zone to mix it up in at least.

Majority of players voted against flying.

Said no one ever.

Did. Not. Happen.

14 Likes

Firstly I don’t believe you. I think you made that up. Secondly, your opinions do not factor into my decisions about maintaining my subs.

Removing flying has the score on the board for crashing the sub count. Doing so again for the sake of PVP and somehow expecting different results is … wishful thinking at best, and insanity at worst if the old adage is to be believed.

I’m all for pvp shards being grounded but people need to seriously stop advocating for what has already been proven to be destructive.

5 Likes

If you love Warmode, you probably shouldn’t have made a comment like this. It’s such a contentious point of debate on the forums these days that people are demanding it’s removal and the restoration of PvP servers. If anything, suggesting Flight should be held hostage for the success of Warmode is only going to get a whole lot more players behind the removal of Warmode.

3 Likes

Where and when?

2 Likes

. I think you made that up

He did.

There has never been a vote for anything in WOW, ever.

5 Likes

None of the zones “require” mounted travel or even anything faster then RP walking.

5 Likes

That’s not what I’m suggesting. I said at the beginning only that I wasn’t sure, but as this thread got longer I elaborated on my point to state that I thought flight should be given to standard mode and restricted only in war mode.

Anyway, this thread is old news for me. I’m not really interested in arguing the point any longer anyway. There have been a few arguments made that flight in war mode would actually improve PVP, so I’m more or less back to “unsure.” I still don’t want war mode to be utterly destroyed by the addition of flight, but I guess whatever happens happens.

I… am going to assume that’s a joke because I really feel like I shouldn’t have to explain the fundamental differences between variable degrees of land speed and the sheer uncontested functionality that comes with flight.

2 Likes

What is contested with ground travel? Are you trying to imply that the NPC mobs will be upset if I fly over them vs. rid past/through them? Flying speeds up traveling, ground mounts speed up traveling, running speeds up traveling. Once you are done questing and exploring then all ground travel is now irrelevant and only a time sink. Even with PvP mode PvP almost never happens during travel.

1 Like

You are not using the word “contested” correctly. “Flight” has uncontested functionality compared to variable degrees of land travel because not only does it up travel speed, it allows you to avoid impassable terrain (that is often designed to be impassable for a reason) as well as avoid any and all enemy players in war mode.

…no. Why do you keep saying silly things? Can you calm down please?

That’s an incredibly reductive overview of the comparison between flight and ground travel. If things were as cut and dry as you’re making them out to be, then what should be done is ground speed should be boosted to the same speed given by flight mounts, just not the ability to fly over impassable terrain or avoid other players. I’d actually be in favor of that change.

This has not been my experience in war mode. PVP occurs on the routes in and out of the zone just as often as it occurs during WQ sites.

1 Like

You are actually using it wrong. You are thinking of “unobstructed”, also that is kind of the point. Also (again) PvP happens at WQ and hubs and that happens even with flying. Also I don’t give two dead rats behinds about PvP.

Ah the old pretending someone is being emotional troll tactic? K.

Except that is what it boils down to, flying makes getting to content faster.

Well that sure has been my experience also with 14 years on a PvP server.

Look if YOU don’t want to fly then by all means stay on the ground. Flying will happen it is just a question of why it is being delayed, so all of your arguments are moot anyways.

1 Like

Because they don’t know how to implement flying without killing war mode. If everyone can just fly directly to each WQ, then there really isn’t much of an opportunity to fight the opposite faction. People will just fly up and wait in the sky if they see they’re outnumbered, or they’ll just escape to another WQ while avoiding all conflict. If you think war mode is full of people just in it for the bonuses now, wait until you see what happens when people can just fly away from danger.

A few solutions I can think of to preserve wPvP:

• Make faction incursions disable flight in the entire zone for the duration of the incursion. Can be explained by having airships flying around and shooting anti-air weapons.
  • Flight is disabled in whichever zone the “Call to Arms” weekly quest takes place. Add airships that will shoot you out of the sky.
  • Flight is disabled while near any of the Champions WQ’s. Just say that the Azerite is preventing flight by changing the air pressure, or something.
  • Add new PvP WQs that disable flight while in the area.
  • Last resort: Disable flight while in war mode or for a certain amount of time after engaging in PvP combat.
1 Like

All I know is that hitting 100 in Warlords was anticlimactic(granted, it was also because of the stat squish), Legion wasn’t as good as it could have been, and I have yet to find a reason to buy BFA.

4 Likes

I don’t think so. They said flying’s coming in 8.2, which is also when we get the new continent. I’m willing to bet they’ll be adding flying to the current BFA zones once they become technically old continent, while Nazjatar itself will remain a no flying zone a’la Argus. I’m also willing to bet that they’re going to do this specifically because of war mode. PVP needs all the help it can get; realm hopping and sharding are already putting a huge stranglehold on it. Flying, for many of the reasons preceding this post, could continue to have adverse negative affects.

I’m happy to be proven wrong about this. In fact, if they implement flying, I’m hoping to be wrong about flying’s impact. But adopting a stance that essentially boils down to “lol I don’t care about what you care about so shove off” doesn’t produce the strongest argument.

1 Like

We have had flying for 12 years with PvP servers that question has been answered. Also you are the one who wants to force people to conform to your play style even when not flagged for PvP. I on the other hand want people to have the option to play how they want. So despite you changing what I said you are literally the person saying “lol I don’t care about what you care about so shove off”.

9 Likes
  • Make faction incursions disable flight in the entire zone for the duration of the incursion. Can be explained by having airships flying around and shooting anti-air weapons.

No.

I refuse to agree to any limitations because you want to gank . I dont pvp. Leave me alone.

• Flight is disabled while near any of the Champions WQ’s. Just say that the Azerite is preventing flight by changing the air pressure, or something.

No.

7 Likes