Flight switching as it's implemented is ridiculous

What?

I’ve never changed my stance. You disagree in the face of the evidence so /shrug

You provided speculation, not evidence.

But I’m not sure why we’re still on this topic given that apparently neither of us care about Blizzard’s design intent. That’s why I said you’re moving the goalposts. I’m not sure why I have to be to one to prove that Blizzard doesn’t intend for steady flight to be a vestigial flight mode when that’s not what this topic is about. To say nothing of the fact that one can’t prove a negative and the burden of proof lies with the one who asserts the claim, not the one who counters it.

I have eyes. I can see how Blizzard is supporting their brand new flight mode. But skyriding being the focused flight mode and steady flight being vestigial are two different statements. I agree with the former, I disagree with the later. I’ve been asking you to provide evidence that Blizzard does not intend to fully support steady flight as anything other than a legacy option going forward and so far all I’ve gotten back from you are speculations and assumptions. You’re free to hold those assumptions, but they won’t go very far in convincing me.

But again, why are we still on this topic given that neither of us care about it? To return to topic, would you be opposed to the exact system we have now except the toggle between the two flight modes was mount-by-mount rather than global? And if so, what is your objection?

LOL where did I say that and what support does it need other than to exist for those that want it?

Are they adding new content where you need to use Steady Flight to succeed?
Are they adding Aerial combat with Steady Flight?
Is Steady Flight available from the start of TWW?

Steady Flight just exists. It’s a legacy system they won’t drop for numerous reason.

2 Likes

Forever bump until Blizz changes it to what it was pre-patch. Being able to regular fly and dragonride without having to activate it is such a huge QoL thing.

How they ruined it here is just insane.

Dragging a button to your hotbar to switch flight modes constantly when doing quests/gathering/exploring the world is just ridiculous.

It worked fine just the way it was before.

It’s hilarious how the “only dragonriding” people are so clueless they have no idea how much nicer it is to do many things with regular flying than with 700-800% speed dragonriding, and having to hit buttons after every single friggin mob kill/gathered herb/mineral, quest turn-in, etc.

Druid flight form is GREATLY affected by this new change, and it’s terribad.

4 Likes

Okay I’m done talking to you since you apparently don’t want to move on to the actual topic of this thread and seem to think that telling me the same thing over and over will somehow get a different response from me.

I have tried to find that toggle in mounts and I do not see it at all. if this is perm for me I will look elsewhere to spend my money.

Agree. Never thought about how bad it would feel literally racking up minutes switching back and forth. And they just keep making Druid shifts worse because you can’t pop into travel or normal flight if you have skyriding on. It all feels so clumsy, slow, and just stupid

4 Likes

Just chiming in. I hate the way flying has been setup. I love playing as a druid and having flight form available which means I will be playing the majority of the time without skyriding.

3 Likes

Then you didn’t look at the link I provided in this thread.

Well, they quite literally also just said all of this stuff during Blizzcon. I can’t find the Wowhead writeup of Blizzcon where they outlined it and had a blue post also affirming it, but… well, Ion saying it on the Blizzcon scene is also another good source of it.

It is a sad day for the Druid community and WoW community to have it ripped away and a huge downgrade.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

4 Likes

The link you provided simply says that they’re leaving TBC flying in the game and then lists various reasons why someone might prefer that system. At no point does he say that “hybrid” flying or using both systems is unintended, which is the question that was posed to you.

the precedent set by the old system was superior, the only thing they needed to change was the option to dragon ride on more mounts.
the way we switched flying styles before was vastly superior where in essence the style of riding was assigned to the mount not the character.

This is how it should be, but either Ion or someone else on the Dev team has a hatebone for Static Flight.

If they could flat out remove it without major backlash/bad PR, they would.

Personally, I would be happy with just the toggle not affecting Soar.

WoW is down so bad that we’re equating flight styles (with a literal 5 second toggle) with meaningful choice?

Besides the last time we had any meaningful choice (Covenants) people cried their eyes out about it.

The toggle is good. Being able to skyride on older mounts is great. I would like the cast time to be shorter (5 seconds feels excessive), but advocating for all players to lose skyriding on their favorite mounts because YOU don’t like it is selfish.

Easier said than done.

It’s much more efficient for your character to register mounts as skyriding or steady, the skeletons have fundamentally different operends and animations.

This is likely a LUA limitation.

As a Druid, it’s particularily jolting to have Flight Form forced to follow the same flight pattern as your main mount as well. Before the patch, you would Dragonride until you got near, then dismount, fall a bit, then turn into a bird.

If I try that now, I end up with this horrible floating downwards with zero vigor, dead in the air. I’d rather just glider down.

Also, why is there a cast time? Why does it have to be done on the ground? Is the point to ruin all possible immersion?

I have so many questions.

3 Likes

The changes are unacceptable, especially because of the disproportionate impact on druids. Revert the change or allow players to choose on a mount-by-mount basis. Give druids an option to choose flying style for flight form separately from mounts.

2 Likes

That makes no sense at all. I use Sky flying for long distances, and “steady” flying whenever I need fine control. Forcing it to take 5 seconds to swap between them is incredibly obnoxious. Why do you think it’s “broken” to be able to switch?

At the very least, make it so we can set some mounts to “steady” and others to “sky”, the way it was before this was changed.

I agree with Draceae, this change really messes up Druid flight form.

1 Like

There’s a difference between “meaningful choices” that affect how powerful we are, and which rewards we have access to, such as Covenants, talents, etc vs “choices” that are clunky and annoying, like the 5 second toggle for switching flight forms. It completely messes up druid flightform.

For now, I have switched all of my flying toons to “steady” as the default. I will only use “Sky” if it will save me more than 10 seconds (5 to switch it over, 5 to switch it back).