Flight switching as it's implemented is ridiculous

it doesn’t and it is not meant to.

It is designed to actively discourage you from using Steady Flying.

as far as Blizzard is concerned, Steady Flying is now only an accessibility feature, they only kept it in the game for CYA purposes, and the majority of the WoW playerbase are no longer meant to use it.

2 Likes

I concur that Druids needs compensation for eating an unfair nerf.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

3 Likes

Well Skyriding is listed on the FAQ for TWW alongside Delves and Warbands as an Evergreen Feature with no mention of Steady Flight.

That doesn’t mean using Steady Flight is wrong. It just means Blizz looks at Skyriding as a core game system going forward.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s proof of it being the “default” flight mode with steady flight being purely a legacy feature. I find it more likely that it’s called out because that’s the new feature being cemented in TWW. There’s no reason to mention steady flight since it’s the exact same as its always been since TBC.

3 Likes

How about the fact that we get Sky Riding at the beginning of TWW but Steady Flight is gated behind Pathfinder?

1 Like

I think you’re reading too much into it. I could just as easily counter by saying that you unlock steady flight at level 30 or whatever it is now and don’t get dynamic flight until later. The fact that Pathfinder works the same as it has since WoD is not surprising nor do I think it’s evidence of Blizzard’s stance one way or the other.

You’re assuming too much. I’m not willing to make a definitive statement on Blizzard’s design goals in the absence of a post stating as such. Anything else is raw speculation and I will treat it as such.

2 Likes

How about the new Dawnbreaker Dungeon that requires Sky Riding?
Or the aerial combat quest in TWW that requires Skyriding?
Or having to use Skyriding on Tindral?

They’re putting more things built around Sky Riding all the time. They aren’t going to get rid of Steady Flight but it’s pretty clear Sky Riding is the main focus.

Agreed.

Lets stick with the facts we know about. Right now the toggle is a bad idea because it impacts players game that like to use both.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

2 Likes

And people told them that entire time that this was a terrible way to implement it that would frustrate a lot of people.

Either make the switch instant, or let us set Dynamic/Static per mount instead of universally.

3 Likes

So people can go back to the degenerative gameplay? Fel no. Either learn to use Skyriding (previously Dragonriding) or just stick to air-swimming.

Obviously, not enough people. Adapt

1 Like

That is a different statement from what you originally responded to, which was that players are not intended to use both styles of flight.

Obviously skyriding is receiving a lot of support now and going forward. That does not mean that Blizzard sees steady flight as a vestigial flight mode. You’re trying to read in your own opinion there.

I think many of the doomposts about the change are hyperbolic. The current switching method is fine in my eyes. I don’t mind it. I would simply prefer if I could set it mount-by-mount instead of globally. The 5 second channel isn’t a huge imposition but it is annoying compared to just mounting up on a different mount. And sometimes I forget which mode I currently have set and surprise myself when I got to mount up, another problem that would disappear if I set the flight style mount-by-mount.

If this change never gets implemented then I won’t be too sad about it. I’ll manage and like I said, the current system is perfectly serviceable if a bit clunky to use the way I want to. I’m just giving my feedback on how I think a recently added system might be improved.

Those threads on beta are still up and frankly it is still an important topic. Right up there with the tank and healer changes dropped out of nowhere. Very little notice and not enough time to test anything.

1 Like

This would be the best solution, I think.

1 Like

It does but who cares if they Blizz feels that way as long as those that want to use that style have access to it?

should be instant switching.

2 Likes

I think you’re moving the goalposts here. You were the one who first brought up Blizzard’s design intent. I wouldn’t have talked about it if not for your post.

And no, I don’t particularly care one way or the other. I think I’m less invested in this debate than many other of the posters in this thread who share my opinion. I’ll manage just fine with the current system if it never gets changed. But is it so bad for me to wish for something slightly different? Especially for a system that was literally introduced yesterday? Even if it is Blizzard’s design intent to make skyriding the default supported flight mode going forward, it’s still the flight mode I use the vast majority of the time so it won’t affect me much.

Yeah don’t need to re-invent the wheel. How it was on live for months was perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, this is the style of Microsoft. They don’t care what you think, they just do what they think.

1 Like