Flight switching as it's implemented is ridiculous

Who looked at all the possible ways to set it up and came up with this silly method? Go back to where we had skyriding mounts, and regular flying mounts.

Once again, Blizzard takes something simple and ruins it by making it needlessly complicated. They just can’t help themselves.

If they really want to make us happy they could let us choose which flight style each mount uses, but they’d probably lock it behind rep with obscure factions, exploring 106% of the map, and completing every season 1/2/3 raid while dressed in an orange shirt.

85 Likes

Woah woah woah… The shirt color would change per season.

17 Likes

No. I like being able to skyride with the majority of my mount collection.

19 Likes

So let us set individual mounts to skyriding or regular flying. I don’t want to skyride in cities, and it’s just pointless busywork making us change styles for all mounts any time we want to change.

28 Likes

It’s there in case you change your mind about which type of flying you want. It’s not there to let you go back and forth every time you mount up. This is known as a “choice” and WoW used to have more of them, until the forums got to 'em. :dracthyr_tea:

3 Likes

Real choice would be skyriding a Netherwing Drake from Thunder Bluff to Orgrimmar, then hopping on a broom to zip around the city at a manageable speed. I don’t see how adding a cast time to change styles increases choice.

27 Likes

We knew for months about this.

1 Like

I’ve decided to just forget about skyriding whenever I get steady flight unlocked.
Game feels better that way without the constant switching, and steady is vastly superior either way.

Except for those dungeons where you’re pretty much forced to skyride I guess… ugh…

8 Likes

Considering that Skyriding is the default presumptive method of flying, and TBC is simply kept around as an accessibility option … Folks who do “hybrid” flying aren’t really playing the game how it is intended. And most who used that method basically used Skyriding because it is better, but then switched to TBC flying whenever they wanted to make use of how broken it is.

So… no.
We aren’t supposed to be using it the way you want to use it. You can still do it if you are that desperate for it, but the 5 second cast timer being there is intentional and you are experiencing its intended effect.

2 Likes

Said who exactly?

4 Likes

Blizzard.

3 Likes

no --i use the same mount for both . people complaining about 5 seconds are really special owner operators

3 Likes

Be careful… they might threaten to unsub! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Where?

I can’t find them saying it anywhere, and if it were for accessibility, it would be rather cruel to lock it behind an achievement.

3 Likes

BlizZard is afraid of easy wins.

The simple solution is the best and you are right.

100% correct.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

4 Likes

It’s really crappy. All they have to do is make it instant cast.
It is already channeled to mount, so pre-mount, selecting the mode, should be an instant cast.
That one thing would make it so much better.

8 Likes

They acknowledged it during the announcement of TWW but has since then also made a blue post about it. Can’t find it but the long and short of it is that it is common knowledge that Blizzard do view it as an accessibility option (primarily because that’s how folks started framing it in order to call folks abelists, but yes it is an accessibility feature at this point).

However I’m gonna let you in on a secret:
The requirement to unlock it is to have played the campaign once. The campaign doesn’t require flying of any kind to be completed. So if the requirement of “Play the game’s story once” is too high of a bar for folks, those disabilities are way beyond (i.e. blindness) what TBC flying would serve as an accessibility feature for.

Edit: I did find it, I posted a link to it in another response further down.

1 Like

It is a huge friction point to discourage those that like to use both DR and TBC normal flying.

BlizZard doesn’t like people having choice so they try to cause maximum pain points and throw max friction in front of people.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

11 Likes

I searched through blue posts, Wowhead, and Twitter. Nobody at Blizzard is saying it’s an accessibility option. If it were I doubt they’d be hiding the fact. Maybe you’re just mistaken.

4 Likes

They aren’t hiding it and I know this for a fact.
No one is making a big deal about that specific phrasing meaning that fewer sites recorded it in places where it is easy to find. It isn’t hidden, it is just so benign that no one cared to write it down but chose to remember it instead.