Fire Mage PVE Viability

What are you talking about?

It’s not challenging, it’s fun. Nothing in vanilla is “challenging” at least outside of casual stuff like leveling.

1 Like

Because no where else in the game does the same rules apply. It was a bad game decision that they learned from, there is no reason they should go back and fix it this time around so mages can do more than spam frostbolt and use decurse.

1 Like

This is classic idiot, alot of things are different.

Your insinuating everything they did after classic was for the better, when we know the opposite is true, you can’t use retail changes to advocate classic changes when most people are in agreement here that retail is a degeneration of classic.

3 Likes

Press Frostbolt instead of Fireball, or vice versa.

Trying to beat a speed record is definitely a challenge, it’s just a community imposed one. Trying to figure out skips and pulls, etc. definitely counts as “added challenge”. Just look at the 45 min Baron run.

Counterpoint: It was a good game decision that they cast aside. Also, hate to break it to you, but as a mage you’re only really using Frostbolt or Firebolt + decursing anyways. It doesn’t matter what your spec is.

1 Like

Well, you dps bosses/mobs from behind anyway so their shield wouldn’t be very effective for one.

And mobs do block if they have a shield equipped when attacking them face to face.

At no point in any MMO was it a good idea to artificially limit specs people could play.

Look it’s your opinion that everyone should play the same cookie cutter spec, I don’t agree. The game is more fun when more people are playing different specs especially in 40 man raids. Variety is fun and always has been.

1 Like

What’s artificial about fire mobs that live in a place called Molten Core and often are standing in lava being immune to fire damage or highly resistant?

3 Likes

i think the big thing was that fire mages had great burst damage, but that made them pull aggro at times, and i think their mana efficiency wasnt as good as frost? thats how i remember it. also, what everyones saying about fire resist mobs, thats a real issue

Because it doesn’t happen anywhere else in the game outside of a few different vanilla bosses. It was bad game design.

1 Like

So it happens consistently against fire mobs throughout the world? Oh ok, not sure if that’s called bad game design bloke.

Also, you always have access to frost/arcane spells as any spec to help deal with this issue in the open world/dungeon environments.

Yep, bad game design :rofl:.

2 Likes

My first mage I put my points all in fire while leveling, and it was a blast…literally lol.

I do NOT do dungeons or raids so that was never a problem.

The problem? LOL came when I got to thousand needles. Took the quests in gadgetzan, went out, wound up my favorite spell, pyroblast, and smacked whatever those guys were (defias?) that we needed to kill x of …and promptly aggroed every damn one of them. I ran back to my corpse, healed etc, and looked the situation over again, found one way off to the side, wound up that pyroblast, and same thing happened.

I ended up hearthing back to IF and changed my talents to the frost tree mostly.

Ended up staying frost the rest of the way. Sure missed that pyroblast though lol, what a hit.

Back then though, I was not the only one shooting fire balls, a lot of people did not go frost or arcane. It was fun. I mostly solo’d back then too, so only had to worry about myself, not a group.

Yes, I’m going to be a fire mage this go around too lol. Especially when I hit gadgetzan, I want to see if the same thing happens lol.

It is a mmorpg. You are free to roll whatever spec you want, but you shouldnt expect to be efficient during every fight with the same spec. Just like you wouldnt expect to do as much damage to a tank with a rifle as with a rocket launcher. One should expect that certain spells or weapons are going to do more damage than others to certain armors/resists. Just like a rogue’s ambush may not be as effective as his garrote on a high armor target.

1 Like

uh

Fire. Being resistant to fire… how doesn’t this make sense?

3 Likes

Reality check is you are going to be frost mage until AQ period. Unless you don’t raid then play whatever you want.

It’s not an artificial limit since you can still spec however you want and just cast a Frostbolt instead of a Fireball. How is this a difficult concept for you to grasp? What about any of my posts could even lead you to believe that I want everyone to play a cookie cutter spec?

I’m literally saying you can spec however you want and just not cast a damn Fireball at a fire elemental. Use your whole toolkit. I say that for hybrids too, you don’t have to spec heals but just be willing to actually cast them (in some gear, if needed). Be your CLASS, not your SPEC.

1 Like

When wow first launch the talent tree system was actually revolutionary.

Prior to classic there was no customisation in mmos, if you played a warlock, you played the same deadlock as everyone else.

At no point did they “artificially limit specs” this game is an extremely hard game to balance, and given the monumental task i think they did a pretty damn good job, every spec is viable if you put in enough work.

Really sick of you dumb zoomers criticising what you don’t understand.

Ever heard the phrase “its easy to judge the actions of the past through the lens of the present”.

Instead if trash talking try understand the game was never meant to be perfect, its fine as it is, any minor flaw the game has is irrelevant in the overall grand scheme of things.

Tldr deal with it.

it would be prudent to spec frost for Molten Core and BWL…

1 Like

In all honesty, that is a pretty tame UI

1 Like

Dead wrong on that count, Nacilep. There are elemental immune and high resist mobs all over the place in the Vanilla world. Go fight elementals of the respective element and see how that goes for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes