FFXIV, WoW, RP, and game health

That’s a reason, for sure. On top of Blizzard not giving us, or straight up spitting on, lore to play around with, a lot of rpers who like the format of MMO rp have just found other games that give them the tools to better create an immersive experience.

It’s funny just how tantalizing emotes are. PVE/PVPers don’t care too much about mementos or emote rewards on ESO, but RPers will take on any content thrown at them to get their hands on one.

I am serious though. If you do not like the direction a company is taking a game or ANY product. You do not pay for that product UNTIL the company makes the desired changes.

I’ve played about a day’s worth of time. Reminds me of Rift. But what keeps me with the Warcraft universe is the lore. Until FF14, my only experience with the Final Fantasy franchise was FF 2,4, and 6-8. Each one has a new story that is independent of others. Warcraft, on the other hand, is a continuing saga with a history that dates back over 100 thousand years. We also get novels that can be a historic account of things (War of the Ancients, Illidan, and Arthas: Rise of the Lich King). A focus on specific events during an expansion (Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects, Voljin: Shadows of the Horde). Or transitional stories between expansions (Wolf Heart, War Crimes, Before the Storm, and Shadows Rising) Final Fantasy does not have that.

The onoy thing thay keeps me playing is leveling alts, doing side activities and of course rpeing with friends

It’s not our job to ‘look after the game’. I’m a roleplayer and played the game for character and story building. I left because, to me personally, the story in Shadowlands is absolutely terrible. I went to FFXIV because the story is so much better, again, in my personal opinion.

I speak only for myself and not other roleplayers, but I’m going to call into question “but RPers persist” when I had a huge RP guild and all of us have stopped playing while most have swapped games one way or another.

Blizzard, in my eyes, adds only for hardcore players. I’m tired of the bad (to me) story, and I’m tired of requests for things like housing, Allied Races, and customization ignored.

So yes. I left. I only am posting on the forums until my sub runs out. And no, it’s not my or any other roleplayer’s responsibility to uphold a game that I feel doesn’t care. Nor does the WoW community itself, which has proven time and again how toxic it is to roleplayers.

The notion that ‘we take any content thrown at us’ is laughable. Maybe some people, but most of the community I played with have left because the content is so terrible to us.

And again, this is my experience. Other RPers may feel differently on the drought, but in the end, ‘we all persist’ isn’t correct. I am willing to bet many of us get fed up.

4 Likes

Roleplay on Moon Guard was the most active in WoD because the content was cold. I started my guild in WoD which is why I remember it fondly.

Roleplay is a socially influenced activity that requires a community to cultivate it. If you have people to play with as an outlet, everything else is creating your own content to enjoy with other people. It doesn’t rely on M+, raids, or any mainstream content or new lore to keep it going.

Generally, I’ve seen people in the community ask for features that don’t incorporate new gameplay content like old zone revamps, lore clarifications, and items to make roleplay easier (Elixir of Tongues, for example). It’s very easy to serve an audience of roleplayers since we do most everything ourselves.

That isn’t to say roleplayers don’t quit. There’s a lot less people around public rp spaces; and most people have taken to guild roleplay outside of any major server events. But - here’s roleplayers out in the wild:

I haven’t noticed the drought that’s been mentioned. But experiences vary.

1 Like

Since this game has become so e-sports focused they could essentially split WoW into 4 games. There would be a raid game, a pvp game and a dungeon game. Players could select a class and difficulty to be provided a character with templated gear to compete with in a ladder system. The 4th game would be an actual MMORPG. I think it would make the MMORPG portion of this game much better if that were to happen.

I am not an RPer, by any stretch of the imagination, but this has been one fascinating read.

Not all of you, no. For the love of all that is good, holy and not M+, no. Stay. Here.

Extremely incorrect. As a man who has created several RP characters and runs (rather, ran) two RP focused guilds in WoW, the exact opposite of what you’ve said here is true. I (and my former guildies from WoW) play FFXIV because of the sheer RP potential in Final Fantasy. We can literally mix our RP with leveling, changing jobs, doing professions, and chasing Fates.

I’m sorry, but WoW cannot compete here. Imagine forming an M+ group in one of your high key things, and two of the players started RPing mid-run and interacting with covenant specific items that are in the current dungeons. You can’t even do that in a normal run. I know RP isn’t for everyone, but even the quick fun stuff in a dungeon is rage inducing for non-RPers.

I was the sole holdout for SL, as I love the Ebon Court and other RP things that were included in SL. However, the vast majority of WoW players HATE this portion of Shadowlands, and they are quite vocal about it. This is probably why none of the RP stuff appears to be getting any love in 9.1. WoW’s ‘endgame’ frenzy has never been my thing, so no matter how much I like SL, I’m kind of in the wind currently. I’ve not done the Ebon Court in a while, and it was my fave thing.

Dude, it’s gaining players in the lull before an expansion. It’s also coming off of Shadowbringers, reviewed as one of the best game expansions ever. FFXIV shouldn’t have much to worry about.

Also, the cat and bunny ‘gurls’ thing is (mostly) a meme. Lot of Sylvanas’ and Jaina’s over there though, no joke. It’s annoying.

3 Likes

So what your saying is this is kind of rp people enjoy nowadays:

If that is the case I may as well give up rp as the degeneracy is too great.

I think I know why no one wanted you in their RP FC now :eyes:

You’ve ignored my ENTIRE post, as well as the ENTIRETY of my point, to post three non-sequitur posts from completely different conversations that aren’t even in the same realm of context, much less substantiated in any way.

JFC.

Moon. Guard. Just stop, man.

1 Like

False, memers started that, and idiots believe it. Player housing has been in FFXIV since the get go. Again, if you aren’t going to engage the point of your own OP, and my response to it, you emphasize how exasperating it is to engage with some of this community.

1 Like

That’s not true, and you know it.

So, are the RP guilds on FFXIV all degenerate rpers, or are you just mad you got rejection letters? From the attitude you have in this thread, I’d probably decline the application as well.

ffx14 devs listen to the players wow devs dont

1 Like

WoW’s player in FFXIV in this moments.

1 Like

Can you make cat guys on FFXIV? I want to make gold over there so I can set up an FFXIV-WoW gold exchange.

Nope

Jesus

Go to the realm selection page

Look at the amount of normal servers vs RP server

You now know you’re actually a small minority of players and won’t keep the game floating and the games tailoring should keep RP players at the bottom of the ring

1 Like

Could you make it less obvious that you just looked things up on the internet? The ERP stigma is seen even on wow servers. If I took some random outside sources about Moon Guard I’d assume that all wow players do is ERP.

2 Likes