FFXIV more popular than WoW , but can't see why

I think it’s human nature to compare and contrast and forum access means a way to voice your opinion. Wow and other MMOs are also brought up in FFXIV forums, like recently on discussion about healer.

As for the frequency of mentioning other MMOs, maybe it’s simply due to forum accessibility, although people can enjoy both and still want to compare and contrast and wish what one game has is replicated in the other game.

As someone new to WoW myself, I do miss some things that I can do in FFXIV while still being able to enjoy playing through WoW’s content and at the same time am still somewhat active in FFXIV because that game gives me the most satisfaction in gaming currently. (I say somewhat active because I am caught up with the content that I like to do so I’m mostly waiting for continuation to the story and especially the upcoming expansion.)

My point is that it’s not brought up nearly as much. WoW players don’t really seem to have the urge to go to other games’ forums and talk about how people need to switch to it. I guess that it’s privilege as “MMO king”, where for the most part players either come to it or have already tried it and decided it wasn’t for them; nobody needs to be “told” about WoW. But as I said, as a longtime player FFXIV players do seem oddly insecure even on their own forums about the idea that some people might just…not like their game.

Lately the community has been speaking up more about issues more serious than outfits, the cash store, and seasonal events though, so that makes me happy to see. The language barrier between the devs and the playerbase does give it a sort of impression of “falling on deaf ears”, but I’m not so much of a cynic as to say that the XIV devs don’t try. I know they do, I just think they misinterpret feedback a lot, possibly because of the aforementioned language barrier.

2 Likes

I don’t really know why, like I said, maybe it’s forum accessibility. Someone said earlier that FFXIV doesn’t allow you to post in the official forum without active subscription, so maybe that’s why.

That said, this thread in particular seems to be started by a WoW player.

Yoshida indeed has had cases where he seems to have misinterpreted questions being asked either in Q&A or interviews. But in terms of listening to player feedback in general, it seems too complicated a topic for me to comment about, and this is true for any topic, not just FFXIV and WoW. There will always be differing opinions among the player base, and I don’t know what type of feedback a company actually gets beyond the forum and other public places in the internet.

Unless you want a personal home then RIP that investment unless you log on every 45 days.

I agree if you don’t play a game to play a game FFXIV has more to offer though.

EDIT: I don’t mean to seem harsh or down on your game style, just adding a little reality into these “greener grass” discussions.

1 Like

Crafting matters, classes feels awesome.

Downside is that it is a traditional MMORPG which may not innovate but it is a steady Eddy among a seas of imitators that are all flash but no longevity.

You actually feel like you are accomplishing something in FFXIV.

1 Like

I fell for the whole “it gets better” thing all the way into Heavensward. If you don’t enjoy it at low level, it won’t get better for you.

1 Like

What does “play a game to play a game” means?

1 Like

Play a game in this case is literally playing a videogame: Doing content like downing bosses or PVPing VS standing around your neighborhood in a pretty new dress you bought and going off to play mahjong.

2 Likes

Ah, ok.

Maybe they crafted that dress, or bought it with money from downing bosses, hehe.

I’m not certain if FFXIV is more popular than Wow; but, it really doesn’t matter. I play FFXIV because I like the story, the world, and its aesthetics.

The slower pace of combat takes getting used to. Also, there’s not this sense that the end game is the only game. Ultimately, it’s just what I enjoy in a game. If you like WoW, that’s cool also.

4 Likes

Is it more popular than WoW? We don’t really have access to any hard evidence one way or another. I know there’s a lot of hype for Shadowbringers (I love the game and I’m very much looking forward to the next expansion), but it’s kind of hard to really gauge popularity between the two games based on hype for ShB and WoW discourse alone.

No real numbers? No real conclusions.

1 Like

He’s a feline-esque race called Miqote’. He has a tail too.

Its very good, lots of fun, great music and graphics, its a change from WoW. Personally I like ESO these days, after playings thousands of hours in all 3. ESO is very laid back stress free gaming :rofl:

So you must be what your guild name is then. FF14 is anything but garbage. Sure once in a great while you get that toxic person but unlike every single dungeon in WoW, it’s very rare. So again, I’m guessing you are the toxic one and people were removing you for harassing or something.

The game has no meta. Not sure where you got this from.

3 Likes

I dislike its aesthetics, so it’s not for me.

1 Like

The game has no meta. Not sure where you got this from.

If you raid or PVP it has a meta. If you want to join a raid group they would prefer you to be a job over another, that is meta. If you want to succeed in PVP, you should run as meta jobs to succeed in the PVP.

2 Likes

BTW, they are running a special where if you have an Twitch Prime (Amazon Prime as well) account then you can get the FFXIV starter kick which is just the base game for 100% free. You can level up to 50 (max is 70 right now) with this. It comes with 30 days free.

If you enjoy it then you can get the xpac that launches on July 2nd which also includes the 2 previous xpacs. Sadly if you pre-order Shadowbringers now then the 2 xpacs won’t be available till July 2nd.

1 Like

I’m stuck at a MSQ with a long wait time, to get a group. It is around level 50; I’m 55 now unable to go to the area after the first game.

After 14 minutes, it queued when I had to go restroom fast. I got back to see, “Did not accept…”

It is more complex than Wow, in some ways, but seems more easy/friendly as well. You don’t “need” alts, since your one character can do it all. This is kind of neat, after Wow.

Other people are glad to group with you, as well as patient, since part of the game is them doing lower level dungeons (scaled to them.) Instead of getting “kicked” like in Wow, I get “commendations” from other players (since you are actually encouraged to do so.) If you basically try at all, you are OK.

The events are pretty cool. I did a New Year’s one and got a fun outfit “glamour” (think like “mog”, in Wow.) That system is no way near as simple as in Wow, but it is OK.

You can set it up so the controls/view are very similar to Wow. This makes it every easy to start playing (if used to Wow.)

The graphics occlusion (things you don’t see not being rendered, not slowing you down) is FAR superior to Wow’s. I’ve only had Linux since the Burning Crusade expansion of Wow, which is all I’ve played Wow in. FFXIV runs quite well in Linux too (both running fine under the stock wine-staging I use in OpenSuse Linux.) However, in a city area and such FFXIV has a far higher framerate, with similar settings like Wow (view distance way down, etc.)
So FFXIV basically looks better, as well as running better (for me at least, again in Linux.)

I’m a Lalafel Dragoon girl, my cuteness even surpasses this Gnomes! I’m continually amused by her.

Except for that “hitch” for me with the MSQ(main story quest), I’m having a blast. So don’t do like I do, if you try it, thinking that “Quest” thing in the upper left corner is just a “suggestIon” or something; You need to keep up with that…

Best thing about FFXIV, you can play what is the full game up to level 35 for free. Then you can decide if you want to sub. You feel fairly powerful, as well as immersed in the game, at 35. Then you can continue just by subbing. I started subbing before that, knowing I liked it.

1 Like

I raid and we just got people that know what they are doing. We cleared all savage fights already.

1 Like

It’s “cue”, btw.