FFXIV more popular than WoW , but can't see why

The only thing “garbage” about the community, that I have ever seen, is FC’s and Glamour (XIV version of Transgmog/Appearance items). Glamour issue is another thing entirely and can be avoided in a lot of cases but FC’s, is where it’s a real problem. But even it can be avoided, though kind of sad.

Unlike guilds in Wow, FC’s are formed with a clique mentality. This clique is a small group of people that helped form the FC and are closed off to anyone who joins after. A kind of elitism that keeps anyone else from gaining any kind of social acceptance and raid progression. They are just numbers, per say. This is also why lower levels are invited to FC’s right off the bat but high levels will normally never get an FC invite. Because the higher level you are, the less potential FC points you can earn for them.
In other words: Only the clique will take part in any content and be social with each other. Anyone outside of that, will be ignored outside of initially joining. They will be led on/lied to when asking for help with group content or social content in general and kept in a very tight progressive box, being taken advantage of for the points you earn as you solo pve level. And if you stop earning those points for any reason whatsoever, you will be dropped/kicked and the next sucker invited, in your place. Just for the process to repeat all over again.

FC’s are not like guilds where they socialize, even have a roster and try to give everyone a chance or even be helpful. FC’s are strictly for one small group of people to use and take advantage of everyone else who earns their FC’s points for them, so they can spend them on their own personal desires. But that’s what happens when you tie any form of currency to a Company/Guild system. It will be abused and so will the people who join it.

After 4 FC’s and the mentality being exactly the same, I refuse to join another one. Aside from this- the game is amazing. I have no problems playing without an FC.

The crafting is awesome tho, really well done, blacksmith, jeweller etc are actually full classes with skills, also you need to use skills well when crafting to crit items into more powerful versions.

Well let’s look at history, when Atari went bust in the 1980s, in the late decade and early 1990s Sega/Nintendo and Japanese companies took over the market. To me, Japan was central to upgrading games from bad graphics to good graphics. 8 bit to 16 bit etc.

So naturally when American companies fail, Japanese ones take over, just how it is.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know which game has more players at this point but google analytics shows more searches for Final Fantasy over the last month or year… It’s 4 AM I can’t remember which one I searched. :rofl:

So take that for what ever it’s worth.

On the flip side though WoW routinely has between 10 and 20 times more viewers on Twitch, and during Method’s raid streams last week it peaked in the hundreds of thousands. (And no, FF Savage or Ultimate raid streams never got anywhere close.)

I’m not going to gloss over the numerous shortcomings of Battle for Azeroth, but whether or not people are quitting BfA in droves, WoW visibly still holds a lot of attention in the players’ minds. I don’t think it’s as doom and gloom for WoW as this forum wants it to be.

Yeah, I checked that out and Final Fantasy does pretty terrible on Twitch compared to WoW, though WoW does pretty bad compared to a lot of games in general.

Also worth noting is that WoW viewership on Twitch is substantially down.

1 Like

Expecting someone to actually play the game they are posting about is something foreign to you though. What insight could someone have on a game they literally DO NOT play? You don’t see me disputing thesises on neural transmitters.

Wow could certainly take a page out of FF14’s book as far as gear design is concerned. WoW is just incorporating coats. They need to be added to OUR wardrobe now.

WoW needs to work on battle kilts as well. Even though it’s a different engine just look at Uther’s judgement set in HotS. It’s superior in every way to WoW’s style.

Seriously I don’t know how anyone can think WoW doesn’t have the most toxic MMO community. Even before I started playing this game in BC, all I ever heard about WoW in other MMOs was how awful the community was, and they were 100% right. The game was good enough to make up for how awful the community is, and if you look hard enough you can find a decent group of people or guild to play with and just ignore everyone else.

1 Like

Reason FF14s armor looks better is because there is far far less of it compared to WoW and a majority of reward gear is crafted as well, not to mention Shoulders and Chestpieces are a single piece allowing them to be more creative with the attire itself which is perfect for coats.

Granted i wouldn’t suggest WoW copying FF14 too much because thats what they’ve been doing, World Quests = End Game Fates, the GCD has been in FF14 since forever and on topic of gear a majority of FF14 gear is tailored to class type ie the Paladin, Warrior, Dark Knight and most likely the Gunbreaker all wear Plate style armours except for quest/hunt rewards which end up replaced with raid/dungeon stuff which WoW now copied with BfA minus the quest/hunt gear.

They’re copying FF14 but not thinking about why it works there first.

Look in the upper left hand corner of your UI, there should be a red box saying the next quest in line

Cute, but no.

I enjoy it. I love the story, love the player housing, love the music, and actually like the combat at higher levels. It starts off super slow, but once you have a lot of off-gcd abilities, it feels much faster.

The fights tend to reuse mechanics a lot, but there are still some very good fights.

Overall, the game has its issues, but I’d say it’s pretty solid. There are things I like there better than WoW, and things I like better here in WoW. So for now, I play a bit of both. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay? WoW has a meta but of course you can find a guild who doesn’t care and lets people play what they want. It doesn’t magically mean the game “has no meta”, though. It’s the same with FFXIV. The person you’re responding to is correct - certain jobs are more favored than others, typically because of their interactions with other jobs at endgame. Most every MMO is like this so it’s not really an issue, but you shouldn’t say untruths.

I started playing around when Heavensward came out, and I disagree. I’ve seen my share of nastiness, elitism, or plain rudeness, yeah, but I’ve seen just as much if not more in this game and others.

I think my worst experiences have all been in WoW, actually. Aion had more than a few ‘fun’ moments, too, when it was actually kind of active…

(Also how do you reply to more than once person at once on this forum? >.>)

1 Like

I just switched back over to FFIV and started fresh. It has been a couple years. I really enjoy it more than WoW at the moment despite some of its flaws.

1 Like

Highlight text you want to reply to and push “Quote” when it appears.

EDIT: Par example:

1 Like

Ahh nice, thanks

FF devs made a WoD… Admitted to the mistake and did better. Blizzard made WoD and left players with another 14 month content drought.

4 Likes

As I mentioned, I’ve played both games since the start (literally preordered both) and from what I’ve seen, the only people who disagree are those who are still in the new/shiny phase of either game or were not into the meat/potatoes of it. Go to that game’s forum or reddit and have your own opinion or playstyle and see what happens.