FFXIV more popular than WoW , but can't see why

i stand corrected i did just start a few hours ago.

is a marauder considered a tank btw?

1 Like

Yes, and it is the hardest hitting tank. It turns into Warrior at 30, and apparently shreds endgame.

3 Likes

Hey, np. Like I said, I don’t play currently because I hate the healer meta over there, but it’s not like I think it’s a crap game or feel insecure about people liking it or anything. I doooooooo think that it gets posted about far too much on these forums for people who are supposedly secure in their like of it (why harp on to WoW’s audience how much of a better game it is? why not just play it and like it?), but it’s not bad and if they can fix what I dislike about healing in Shadowbringers I’ll be back.

Marauder is a tank, yes. It starts out feeling more like a DPS until around 30 or so due to a lack of mitigation skills (push P and check your cross-role abilities for some that you can equip though), but it becomes Warrior later in the game which is one of the best meta tanks right now (and has been basically every expansion lol). If you’re finding it fun, you can’t go wrong with it as a main tank class.

3 Likes

nice! ty both :slight_smile:

1 Like

Y’all talking about marauder just makes me remember the description for gladiator and makes me mad. I rolled that thing because it implied there was the option to focus on damage or tanking, but there is no such thing as a damage option. It’s all tank. And AFAIK the lowest damage tank to boot. Still mained it when I played the first time but damn.

1 Like

Yes, Marauder is a tank. Upgrades to Warrior at level 30.

The Duty Finder is the main way to access content, but you need to pretty much unlock everything in the game. First dungeon comes from the MSQ at around level 15-16, with a couple of others unlocking by the time you reach level 20; Roulette: Leveling (basically random dungeons, with a daily bonus for the first one) should unlock with your second dungeon. You also unlock your first “trial” (special boss encounter with no trash) at level 20, and that will get mixed in with the leveling roulette.

Inner Release + Fel Cleave spam for 10 seconds is surprisingly gratifying.

Closest thing is the “stance” system, in the case of Paladin (upgrade from Gladiator) would be Sword Oath (DPS stance) and Shield Oath (tank stance).

Also, I wouldn’t worry about being the “lowest DPS” of the tank classes; Gladiator/Paladin has some of the highest utility for all of the tanks… and from what I’ve gathered, actually preferred as an off-tank because of said utility.

But yes, classes/jobs are pretty much locked into one role in FFXIV.

1 Like

It may get better later on but the early game is so bad and boring I gave up before I got past level 20. I don’t care if it gets better, not worth having to endure its horrible early game.

2 Likes

Ye I know, I mained PLD and did the raids and such before I tried other jobs. Just bugged me is all.

1 Like

I took off for about 8-10 months the last part of WoD and started FF14 and a BLM (Black Mage).

I really enjoyed it, I was there for the second expansion when they brought flying into the game and enjoy it. The MQ (MAIN QUEST) line was beautiful and well done.

The player house was WELL DONE.

THE BEAUTIFUL GEAR, OMG, it runs rings around WoW stupid gear art.

It does take a bit to get use to, but they have a TON of things to do, mining, herbs and fishing and finding things for your book (Forgot what that was called) was excellent.

Over all I give the game a 8.7/10 The only reason I do not go back is because they are on their third expansion and I will that it would take me a year to catch up. But if WoW does die, or we have another cluster xpac like WoD and BFA, you might see me there.

OH…pvp sucks over there, unless they improved it the last 2 or so years.

The BEST PART, is you have ONE TOON for all your classes, no ALTS… one toon can be EVERYTHING.

3 Likes

why dose he have cat ears?

1 Like

thats crap design IMO, one of the reasons Wow was good was class identity but thats gone now RIP

1 Like

Because the Devs care about their game.

2 Likes

This was my experience. I made it to 40-something and felt like I was running in sand the entire time. Even the off-GCD things just made it feel spammy, while the classes I like in WoW tend to have a distinct rhythm to them.

I’m not really sure why so many people are having issues with WoW’s in-game community, though. Just find a guild and play with them. I’ve had periods where I play really seriously and times when I just goof off, and I’ve never struggled to find a community that matches what I’m looking for.

1 Like

I take it you haven’t seen the FFXIV General Discussion Forums?

2 Likes

I always found it super slow and at times I didn’t know which direction i needed to progress, i have been in and out of it for a while, i actually preferred the star wars mmo for a while, felt familiar to WoW without actually being WoW , and I loved the sith storyline , super fun

not much will change in WoW unless everyone stops playing it, and i dont think that will ever happen, WoW in fact does have a core fanbase that would keep it afloat for a long time

kinda wish we would get a Kingdom Hearts MMO , that I would find appealing

1 Like

The FFXIV Devs have more passion for FFXIV than the WoW devs do for WoW. No matter the company they can’t change things in-game over a minimal amount of players crying on the forums.

Blizzcon 2018 was terrible, BfA is suffering and the game devs don’t care about what we want. They even have employee’s on twitter calling the playerbase names and nothing happens. Can’t wait to play blizzard games on my phone though :rofl:

4 Likes

I enjoyed the story and crafting, I’m not a huge fan of the graphics but they are “ok”
I didn’t like how slow the class I played was and never made it to level cap.

I tried to go back a couple years ago, only to be told by customer support that my account didn’t exist Square enix has the worst customer support and I sure as heck don’t want to purchase the game again

2 Likes

Oh god, I am not touching fishing. You couldn’t pay me to.

1 Like

I love FF14. I’m actually playing it right now as I type on this forum as I wait for my pvp que to pop. Been playing since day one of 1.0.

4 Likes

FF14 isn’t all that great. End game content is pretty shallow.

3 Likes