FFXIV more popular than WoW , but can't see why

This is the off topic video game forum. It’s posted in the proper place if you want to discuss a different game with other WoW players.

This was in General Discussion when I posted that and was moved afterward.

2 Likes

I think it comes down to you (and some of us here) being better then the average player.

Looks like you’ve at least done a +8, the majority of the player base finds even a +0 hard.

Gotcha. Good catch then, friend.

1 Like

I don’t really do base 0’s anymore, but I never knew some people considered them hard.

I know people hate Shrine, but I also think “everyone” hates shrine.

Yea… shrine is ick.

But seriously for every person who thinks base Mythics are easy there’s 10 who find that to be their end game.

I’m largely speaking from the perspective of a casual player (though a competent one, I just don’t care for the hardcore scene anymore; WoW killed that).

FFXIV does a good job of training its playerbase to evade attacks, and over the course of Stormblood, overlapping, stacking, simultaeneous, and sequential AoEs have become a LOT of more common even in the story mode difficulty. This is why I’ve called it a rough equivalent to WoW’s Normal Raiding and Mythic (+0) dungeons; the mechanics do matter, especially when you’re close to the intended item level.

This consistent difficulty curve has been great for both the game and the playerbase itself. I wouldn’t be surprised to some of the mechanics from the Dimensional Rift becoming more common place in Shadowbringers.

In any event, you largely operate in the Extreme and Savage content… so it’s not that surprising you can find the standard difficulty for content a bit on the easier side. I think it’s skewing your perspective a bit.

I was actually referring to the normal difficulty; and yes, people did complain a lot when it first came out. A boss largely built around a collapsing stage and ring outs will always put more emphasis on mechanics (no amount of gear can spare you from falling to your doom)… but a shorter fight does make it substantially easier because there’s fewer times said ring-outs can occur.

In any case, Shinryu never got nerfed and people got used to the fight… but by the time Patch 4.4 rolled around, the overgearing kicked in proper and the fight was substantially shorter and felt unfulfilling compared to how it used to be (again, on Normal difficulty). I mean, no one has to call out the attacks (such as “don’t move!” for Diamond Dust) for the newbies anymore.

… it’s probably the one fight which I’d say it DESPERATELY needs an item level sync, just so it’s no longer a cakewalk.

2 Likes

There is a 3 part very well done documentary about FF XIV about how it utterly failed at launch and then essentially was “reborn” with a new development team. To see these developers say they messed up and went into the original launch thinking they could sell the game on name alone really makes me respect them even more. If only Blizz was this humble.

Seeing Yoshi P start to et overwhelmed with emotions at the event after the game was relaunched in part 3 of the vid…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4&t - Part 1

Enable captions for English subs.

2 Likes

If you’re not playing anymore why are you on the forums?

The amount of things against the rules and reportable offenses are so laughable, even several XIV players are scratching their heads and worried if they can ever pug things again. Here’s just to a few to give off an idea

・Intentional leaving or disconnection
This means obstructing another person’s game play by intentionally leaving the game or disconnecting from the server. (You can get reported for having a power outage, because who can verify if you did it intentionally or not?)

・Expressions that compel a playing style
(If you tell someone how to correctly play their job, they can see you as forcing them to play a way they don’t want, leaving you in the wrong)

・Expressions that unilaterally reject another person’s opinion
(If you try to tell people healers should DPS too, anyone saying otherwise is wrong, is now a reportable offense)

It’s japanese culture, seems weird to us, but completely normal to them.

Kind of like how they believe that the LFG tool is only for when you KNOW a dungeon or raid and the PF is for beginners.

What? Hrm, I wouldn’t know how it is for JP servers, but NOBODY uses DF for extreme primals, it’s always done via PF.

Things that may require more party comp makeup (Extremes, Savage, ETC) are still done though PF cause you don’t want that to be random.

But if you queue for a raid or whatnot on LFG you’re expected to 100% know everything about it on JP servers.

There’s a bunch of other culture differences too, for one thing they have NO gold spammers.

Yeah, we see rmt bots daily, nothing’s really done about them either.

This is also true for our beloved Blizzard Game Overwatch, because it’s so teamplay oriented especially in Competitive. It should come to no surprise for anyone who’s been gaming for any length of time. It’s impossible to know for sure if someone was actually DC’d or ALT+F4 in the case of PCs.

He’s a cat-boy? Cool!

I play several lalafell.

nods

It’s definitely a cultural thing. You can feel it all through the game.

It’s so funny to see other Americans not get “it.” They rant on the forums and offer suggestion on how the game can be improved. They just don’t understand that FFXIV isn’t WoW , ESO, or GW2.

It’s Final Fantasy. And they do things their own way. Personally, I enjoy it.

You do not understand why FF14 is on the verge of surpassing WOW – let me make it simple for you.

One they care about there product and more important care about there there players feedback compared to Activision / Blizzard who only cares about how much money they can fleece you out of — it’s pretty easy.

2 Likes

I will say the character customization is way, way better than WoWs.

2 Likes

I honestly could never get into the game. =/