FFXIV more popular than WoW , but can't see why

I’m basing my opinion on experiences in game, not on the forums or Reddit.

I’ve played WoW since classic, and I’ve played FF since 2015. I’ve done both Savage and mythic raiding, and I really can’t agree that FF’s community is worse.

1 Like

I understand. I’m basing mine on all of the above. I was mentioning those places because it’s hard to go in game and stark up a conversation with random people.

If you’re being serious, I’m glad you didn’t get to experience it. I had an entire linkshell from it’s predecessor switch over and all but 1 person agreed that it was worse. The person who disagreed mostly crafted, so that may explain that.

I’ve found the FF14 community to be extremely welcoming and nice.

2 Likes

I’m glad you did.

That’s fair. And I am being serious. I’ve been in a few different free companies, a lot of different linkshells (mostly for hunts), and I play both eu and us sides.

Honestly I think both forums are kind of a mess. I’ve seen a lot of nastiness and nonsense on the wow forums, and the FF forums. Just don’t visit Reddit for anything really.

Part of it is that I’ve had just some genuinely awful experiences on wow, which I suppose isn’t surprising since it’s a difference between 3 years and 13. More time for meeting more unpleasant people.

My first free company in FF was very pleasant, a large friendly community that definitely made it easy to find cool people to play with. I’ve had great guilds in wow too, but also some terrible ones.

I’ve had good experiences in both, and bad in both, and on the whole I’d say the communities really aren’t too much different. I’ve just had fewer truly bad experiences in FF.

2 Likes

Because? I think it’s something new!
Because what is being done in the game is fun for some!

By your development team be interested in bringing classes / races and content that attract and keep your audience playing, more than just timegate and RNG!

For having an interest in the coherent and consistent narrative of the lore!
For not making decisions that displease or discourage one faction for another!

Not being warcraft, something some people are tired of, for the same repetition and little innovation on the models!
There must be other reasons, but these are the ones that come to mind!

I think your assertion that they’re about the same is probably accurate. XIV seems heavier on the GMs/chat mods though, so truly vile stuff usually doesn’t make it to world chat. WoW leans heavily on its automated reporting system, possibly because of player population.

I joined a decent guild on my main so all is well, and I’ve only had a handful of pug experiences where someone lost their mind and flamed people, but that’s basically been my experience in FFXIV too, except with less BS in general chat. General chat is…barely used there outside of guild recruitment, from what I remember.

The game not having factions makes that a pretty moot point, my dude.

Oh, this finally got moved to Off-Topic. Neat.

No Titanforging, Deterministic gear but still requires raiding for the best gear, and the crafting system is leaps and bounds over wow’s, just for a few things.

1 Like

That’s because 90% of the game is faceroll, so they grew complacent with bad play and never feel the need to criticize.

I mean you could say the same thing about WoW. Both still have mythic and savage raiding…

FFXIV raiding has 2 levels. LFR, and “slightly” below Mythic.

Since they are 8 people instead of 20+ some fights are easy to carry if you get an expecially potato group, but others where you need a set amount of people not tanking the floor dead the entire time.

There really is no middle ground, no Mythic+ dungeons it’s either braindead, or actually having to try.

Except… the basic content in WoW is actually “faceroll”, many player have a bad habit of actually AFK’ing their way through content.

Meanwhile, the baseline difficulty for content in FFXIV (at least by the time you reach level 70 in Stormblood) is roughly in line with Mythic dungeons (not Mythic+, the baseline dungeons) and Normal difficulty raiding in WoW. Still “easy” for the hardcore crowd, though without the extreme overgearing that happens in WoW; quite simply, wipes CAN and DO happen in FFXIV.

But nevertheless, players still don’t feel the need to go overboard with criticizing others in FFXIV. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, as they’ll usually consider most mistakes to be either honest errors or a learning experience (for the first or second wipe at least, tempers get a bit strained after more than that)… in fact, they’ve already clued in that going overboard with being critical IS a bad thing.

… so have you ever consider the simple possibility that the majority of the people over there AREN’T jerks?

Except, again, the difficulty of the “LFR” difficulty in FFXIV is closer to Normal raiding.
The higher end sits around Heroic raiding, with the rare “Ultimate” fights being closer to Mythic raiding.

It’s not that there isn’t a middle ground.

It is the middle-ground.

It just cut off both the top-end and bottom-end of the difficult curve from WoW… and quite frankly, I think FFXIV is better off without either of those.

2 Likes

Umm, I said

But, ok.

lolno, dungeons are like even below Heroic. Mechanics are not punishing, can be ignored and you won’t even wipe.

If you get a group that wipes in a dungeon, they are really potato.

Have you even tried the newest dungeon, Ghimlyt Dark? Here’s all the mechanics each bosses do

First Boss. A really slow and obvious Motherlode final boss, where you just run a circle around them. Nothing else.
2nd Boss A really slow Skycapn Kragg parrot divebomb. That’s it, nothing else.
Last Boss. Don’t stand in aoes. That’s it, nothing else.

You might think I’m using hyperbole, I wish I was, but I’m not.

Try going in not overgeared. Mist dragon in the burn with a group at 360ish is far from easy.

Once you overgear dungeons in FF though they’re all a joke, pull 3+ groups together and aoe.

I mean, it’s hard “not” being overgeared. When the Burn came out, I was already in 370 from raiding the last tier. Ghimlyt Dark now, I’m 400. I just full pull until I hit a wall, get that 7+ mobs and aoe them down, fight boss, full pull until wall, fight boss rinse repeat until done.

The trash is by far the hardest part simply because we’re not really “respecting the content” and pulling EVERYTHING possible. Even undergeared the bosses pose no threat, simple mechanics easily dealt with. Mist Dragon just goes badly if people are dumb, get frozen and get vuln stacks and die to unavoidable damage. It’s telegraphed where the ice lasers will go so there’s not much excuse to getting hit by them.

Yes I have, cleared it on the first attempt.
But one HUGE difference between WoW dungeons and FFXIV dungeons.

Those avoidable AoEs HURT, and certainly be lethal. Too many errors and too many stacks of the Vulnerability debuff also make dodging all the more important.

… and dodging them is often easier said than done, especially when you get into stacking and sequential AoEs.

But in this case, let people judge for themselves:

Still, many agree Ghimlyt Dark IS easier than The Burn… though mostly because of the Mist Dragon being a mean boss.

Yep, the Mist Dragon was a pretty tricky one. Unusual AoE marker, PAINFUL AoE that ticked for about 30-50% of your max health every second or two, and rough all around.

This is the point I will mention two things:

• You outgear the content SIGNIFICANTLY. The Burn requires only an item level of 340, and Ghimlyt Dark only 360. I went into both dungeons fairly close to that minimum, and the challenge was respectable. You’re close to maximum item level possible when both came out.
  • There’s a convenient “Minimum Item Level” option if you go in with a premade group, without having to do any fancy tricks to undergear yourself, right in the same space as the “Undersized Party” option (aka: Unsync). Give that a shot.

Say what you want about minimum ilvl, but I see no reason to slow down a run for 0 benefit.

It’s like, imagine if you ran a M+, whether you ran a +2 or a +10, they both award the same rewards, ilvl, anything and everything. Now, why would you go and do the 10 if you can get the same rewards in half the time doing a 2?

That’s all ilvl does, is speed up the run. It does not make it easier, it makes it faster.

Mechanics completely ignored by not failing at them doesn’t care if you’re wearing 330 gear or 400 gear, you didn’t get hit so you take 0 damage.

Edit: It’s like when I see an undergeared dps when I do expert roulette. I don’t think to myself “Ugh, now this place is gonna be hard.” I think to myself “Great, I’m gonna end up doing more dps than them as a tank.”

… okay, that’s some bizarre logic there.

Avoiding AoEs is NOT ignoring mechanics.
That’s doing what you’re supposed to.

And making it faster DOES make it easier, mostly because there ends up being fewer mechanics to deal with; the shorter the fight, the fewer opportunities for errors. More gear also increases your survivability considerably, making the errors less painful and in some cases it can allow you to actually outright ignore mechanics and allow them to hit you for no real consequence (WoW is especially bad for allowing this).

Just compare Shinryu at the launch of Stormblood to now. WAY more interesting fight at launch… but now he doesn’t last long enough to do anything too interesting.

And the minimum item level has nothing to do with how fast you clear the content, it was just to put things into perspective for you and how different they can be.

As I said, give it a shot. Just to see how different it is compared to what you’re used to.
You just might be surprised.

When I meant mechanics completely ignored I mean any damage for failing them, because they are so hard to fail, chances are you’ll take 0 damage because you did it right.

Shinryu’s a funny case. I did Shinryu when he first came out, definetly one of the hardest Extreme primals to be made, but the funny thing is, the community even whined Shinryu normal was too hard and demanded nerfs on day 1.