FFXIV more popular than WoW , but can't see why

Warning: some spoilers

I love it…the concept comes from an old saying

“Light cannot exist without darkness”.

Brilliant.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of picking FF XIV up again but I haven’t played since Heavensward. Anyone know or think that Square will do a sale on Stormblood before the next expansion drops?

I’d love to get back into it and caught up before then but I’d rather pick up Stormblood cheap if possible. Cheers!

1 Like

It’s the same themes in wow.

Oh PLEASE

Shadowbringers will rock the house down. The expac is a list of what they are GIVING players, not taking away. The story in FF14 is not the old and hackneyed faction war that no one wanted.

It is better across the board.

3 Likes

WoW’s more solidly grounded in “Light is good, Dark is bad”… while only recently starting to consider the possibility that light is not necessarily a good thing.

Comparatively, FFXIV is diving into the deep end with Shadowbringers.

SPOILERS AHOY!

The player is going to an alternate dimension known as “The First”, where the vast majority of the world is quite literally GONE… literally overcome with the Light.

This actually follows up on a storyline in the Heavensward post-60 content, where you encounter the “Warrior of Darkness” and his merry band… who, incidentally, are from “The First” (if I recall correctly). They played the same role of the player, as the “Warrior of Light”, and drove back the Darkness… but did it so well that the opposite situation happened and now there’s nothing but Light left. There’s actually no nighttime in “The First” anymore, and a few are awaiting the end of the world in decadence.

To quickly divert in the other direction, we also encounter “The World of Darkness” (aka: “The Void”) in the Crystal Tower storyline of ARR… which is a world so overcome with darkness that it’s literally nothing but a black void. Weirdly enough, we also interact with the sole survivor of that world during the Magi Trio questline of Heavensward.

Now, for whatever reason (we’ll find out tomorrow as the final leg of the main story before the expansion drops), WE are going to “The First” and becoming the “Warrior of Darkness” ourselves to drive back the Light. And as a side story (maybe the 8-man raid story, some have theorized), also bring back things like nature and the weather.

… yeah, WoW’s a bit behind the curve on this one.

3 Likes

They just had a sale in the EU, so I’m willing to bet the US will get one soon.

1 Like

Cool. I’ll have to keep an eye out. Thanks!

I found a pretty cool FC to get into.

I unlocked POTD earlier. Commented on it, just casual chat, and the other members, including ones I gather is near the top of the FC, was “can I get an invite?”

I mean POTD isn’t exactly progression. But its handy for levelling a toon. And its fun.

We did 20 levels and then called it. Had the server not been going down for weekly maintenance I have a feeling we would have done 30 plus levels.

POTD for those not familiar is a sort of a mini game. You get reset to level one, face traps and monsters, and have to find chests which upgrade your armor and weapon. It’s purely optional, but its nice relaxing fun.

And there are decent rewards. I got a pet out of it.

1 Like

Actually the Japanese have always had a different view on Good and Evil in their stories. Balance is often seen as quite critical.

I mean, a classic anime called Record of Lodoss War. In the climatic battle at the end, the hero was only able to defeat the evil god because he was able to control the Holy Sword AND the Demon Sword.

1 Like

Just be aware that, even with a sale, you’ll still pay more if you buy them separately. Every expansion includes all the previous expansions.

Just to clarify, FFXIV doesn’t have weekly maintenance. Tonight’s maintenance is for Patch 4.56, which will be the conclusion for this expansion’s story as well as Hildibrand and beast tribe side quests, and remove certain restrictions to let people catch up faster on gearing.

So If I buy Shadowbringers I’ll get Stormblood included? Does that count if I pre-order Shadowbringers now? Thanks!

It does, but if you preorder Shadowbringers now and don’t have Stormblood, you won’t get Stormblood until Shadowbringers arrive on July 2 as it’s one package. So if you want to play Stormblood earlier and want to preorder Shadowbringers to get the preorder bonus (pet and earring that gives 30% bonus exp from level 1-70 and scales in stats with your level), then you do need to buy them separately.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Sounds like buying them separately will be the best option so I can play Stormblood beforehand. Don’t wanna be stuck in old content when Shadowbringers releases.

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it.

Don’t wanna be stuck in old content

None of it is “old content” :grin:

That’s good lol, I really wanna pick it up and start playing it now but I don’t have Stormblood. Seems like a waste if I get Stormblood with a Shadowbringers purchase in a few months. What to do what to do lol

Keep in mind also that they are updating the combat system, so even if you wait, you’ll still get the benefit of doing Stormblood content with Shadowbringers system/rotation and any quality of life changes.

The thing I keep telling new players is, if you’re going to hit 50 with plenty of time to spare before Shadowbringers, and you can spare the money, just buy Stormblood now. In my opinion its better to catch up to Shadowbringers prior to it being released so you can join in with everyone else when it comes out. Two of my recruits started playing just a week or two ago and have already hit 50 and were so excited to continue the story that they ended up just buying it, when they were initially going to wait.

Well the cinematic for Shadowbringers didn’t look too bad. It’s a good concept.

This. The stylized armor and clothes of the various characters I viewed on 'Tube videos ranged from bizarre to ridiculous, but I’m guessing that’s because it’s an imported game.

ESO characters looked better but I guess I’ve been bludgeoned into submission by the cartoony fantasy tinged characters in WoW. Everything else just looks weird to me.