FF14 - Why is it so loved?

I feel like people who are fans of MMOs should be happy there’s other games that are in such a healthy state. With the decline of the genre any kind of attention and love directed at these types of games is welcome imo, because I want to see the genre continue to thrive even if it can no longer dominate like it used.

The increasing popularity of FFXIV is really welcome news when most other MMO news these days is pretty depressing :frowning:

2 Likes

Of course, my mistake.

1 Like

It’s tempting to give it a try. I hear a lot of good things about it as well. WoW is just old at this point, so it doesn’t garner a lot of excitement anymore. Some current “best of” lists exclude it altogether.

I also hear positive things about Guild Wars 2. That one I believe has no subscription.

Yeah, I watch these shows on YouTube about 2020 MMO schedule and it is so empty. I am all for any MMO that is successful which hopefully will encourage other companies to give the Genre a go.

1 Like

It’s more about how the game has changed. WoW devs have already made it so they don’t care.

I’m guessing you mean Berserk?

Because Bloodborne is essentially Berserk + Lovecraft Mythos.
… mixed together in the Dark Souls gameplay blender.

To be honest, I do wish Blizz would face such a reckoning that Square did with the initial launch of FFXIV.

The latter was too caught up and reliant on their good reputation from prior works, and the quality of the games was suffering as a result; had been for years, in fact. But it fell apart suddenly with FFXIV, forcing them to get their act together; they’ve been doing well ever since. Blizz REALLY needs that type kick in the pants right now.

… the obvious problem is that the culture and their parent company likely don’t have the collective willpower to actually fix their own problems. Blizz seems more likely to dissolve after such a reckoning rather than fix the issues it has.

2 Likes

I couldn’t make it past the new character intro BS. Soooo slow and boring. So I really have no idea how the actual game is.

Nah mate I think you mean Devilman

Correction.

WoW had good lore. WoD > Off a cliff > Legion > Climbed back up > BFA > Grabbed a rock and dropped it on its own head, then fell back down the cliff and rolled down several hills.

4 Likes

I think you both mean One Piece.

Both games are loved very much by the community (WoW & FFXIV)

Though there are various issues and cons that both games has, at the end of the day its what makes the game be playable for the worthwhile and who’s sustaining it.

In that case it is a shame to admit that we currently have very inept, less passionate & less intriguing Developers in which our current state of WoW isn’t at its brightest, let alone being guided by the main developer that still contradicts himself (Ion Hazzikostaz) and ultimately the biggest mistake of them all…partnering with Activision…it is no wonder why Destiny withdrew from Activision Blizzard.

FFXIV on the other hand has driven passionate developers that not only puts heavy emphasis on the game but also are in tune with the general community (us the players) in which fosters a greater trust and cohesiveness with them; its something we don’t have with WoW sadly…

3 Likes

There’s an eclipse in there, that reminds me more of Berserk.
… which also showed up in Dark Souls 3, if I’m not mistaken.

It is very interesting…but yeah…the anime thing killed it for me.
I had to go play ESO instead. Ive played the ES series since Daggerfall so it was nothing new.
FF14 seems to be a really great game. just that anime feel made me want to wretch.

2 Likes

It’s a much more modern game. I didn’t enjoy the slow start so I didn’t get very far, but I can see why people like it. It’s pretty weirdchamp when people act like you can only play or like one or the other.

1 Like

What this guy said.

1 Like

It’s not really loved, even without the sub numbers we know WoW has more subs simply because there are always more people online to do things with. In FF14 once you have done your dailies there is nothing to do, once you have farmed the new expansion content, there are only dailies.

It’s a good looking game, but lacks content, and with the whole one character for all classes thing, once you farm all classes up, there really is nothing else to do unlike WoW where you can farm old content for xmog, mounts, pets, achievements, run an alt or 11, you have many more things to do here.

1 Like

Miyazaki loves him some Berserk.

It isn’t as polished as this game by any means. When you go into the wilds, you never see small animals getting hunted by bigger ones, flies buzzing over dead animals, or actually writing on paged of open books inside of the buildings. The Characters, & NPC’s just stand there when they’re not moving, unlike how NPC’s, and characters will stand to one side or another, or in the case of an NPC, justb walk away from you. WoW NPC’s will even talk to each other quite frequently. There are many more things that are way too numerous to list here, but this is why WoW is still the largest within its genre, despite the genre shrinking over FPS, & MOBA’s.

2nd best doesn’t = so loved in my book to each there own i guess it had a final fantasy fanbase not shocked it got 2nd.

you get to kick 9s’s butt
that might make people like it since 9s is a standin for me