Feign Death + Trap Bug

Here’s one… drop trap then fd. If fd works, great; if it fails you can disengage and have a good chance your prey will be trapped. Mightn’t be an elegant solution but it works.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

1 Like

Something else to consider which might be hindering Blizz in fixing this issue - mob combat status: secondary aggro and persistence through CC. I’ll explain-

Secondary aggro: another player’s tagged mob aggroing on you from across the map simply because you exist. I had a mob who was in the middle of fighting a warrior who was actively fighting the mob turn and aggro on me as I rode by for no good reason. Same thing can occur when a player evades a mob, the mob will sometimes aggro into any player it crossed along the way even if the player took no action on the mob or the other player it was chasing.

Next is the persistence through CC: something is causing mobs who are smack in the middle of a long CC to continue attacking, casting, etc. Not taking about a hit or spell going off at the same moment as the CC due to a batch, I’m talking 3 or 4 seconds in a mob will attack or cast a spell while feared, sheeped, etc. Something is causing this lock in combat.

Additionally, mobs can stack auto-attacks at range, while CC’d, being kited, etc and deliver all auto attacks at once. This isn’t a flurry or thrash or mob ability, mobs without this ability on their table can do it, too, sometimes 4, 5, 6 attacks in a single hit absolutely chunking health bars.

Now - with all of these bugs in mob behavior, it is possib… what am I saying of COURSE combat behavior and state is broken, causing issues with breaking combat until some failure state is reached after several loops through the routine that would otherwise do it’s job, but somehow can’t because the combat state is bugged.

This same method/function may be used similarly for player versus player to break combat, but the combat state/loop itself might be bugged or broken in some way.

It’s like feeding damage through a calculation to see how much a mob/character’s armor will reduce the damage - you don’t need to write that math everywhere in a game, just once then pass the damage and armor values to it and let it spit a number back out. Similarly, entering/exiting combat states might use the same methods between players and mobs, which can cause issues in either scenario.

Couple this with inconsistent batching, what feels like some abilities (especially pet) are fed through a batch to activate the ability and THEN the ability is sent through another batch when executing like if I Spell Lock, my pet feels like it enters a batch on WHEN to cast Spell Lock then when the ability is executed, the affect is applied in another batch, which explains why I can’t time the ability the same way I used to, I have to cast it up to a full second before I want it to go off and sometimes it will go off, be applied, not resisted and still not prevent the cast.

So all of this combined and here we are - I still haven’t seen a Hunter feign and trap like I used to in Vanilla. That ish was instant. Before the fake death animation was even finished the hunter would be breaking out with attacks and already laid a trap.

It’s quite possible it’s a primordial soup of bugs both combat state methods and batching/fake lag weirdness all coming together to screw things up.

They will have to look at what is breaking combat state on mobs which can also affect players if conditional loops are shared between the two like my damage math example earlier.

Hmmm.

Anyhow. Bump for my Hunter Bros and Broettes.

1 Like

Yeah, man. I think you’re right that this is an all-encompassing bug that is effecting lots of various classes and abilities right now. Some are more noticeable than others.

hoping to hear something about this! There is def. some funkiness going on.

They keep talking about a reference client… I wonder why we didn’t get that.

We didn’t get the reference client because it was developed using WoW’s original engine. Classic is 1.12 updated to the legion engine. This update was ultimately a good idea in light of better, faster and more capable computer equipment.

Bump for Hunter justice!

We need to keep this going. I want to enjoy my hunter and this is a significant bug. They need to address this. The fact that it occasionally works is not justification to leave it as-is.

Has this been completely fixed?

HAPPY to see BLUE is on this bug, my fear is that its spell batching related, but literally the hunter PvP will be BROKEN if its not fixable. I will actually just quit WOW if its deemed un-fixable, maybe thats for the better but I sure hope I am wrong. I wonder if the FD animation being so slow has anything to do with the issue too… Good luck!

2 Likes

It’s still broken. The trap is just randomly coming out or not coming out at all. This needs to be instant like it used to be.

I suggest altering fd and allowing trap to be dropped after fd regardless of combat. So if you fd, you basically get a buff that lasts for a second or two which allows you to drop a trap regardless of combat in or out.

3 Likes

Its most likely now spell batching or the internal spell lag they have in the game.

When they did the temp fix I was able to FD trap again in the smaller instances again. Now Im seeing more delay lag again which then puts me back into combat before my macro trap goes out. Its not often that happens but it been more since the last server maintenance/restart that happened.

I honestly don’t even know what I just read. Why is disengage even being brought up in this discussion?

There are literally hundreds of videos of vanilla hunters using Feign Death. In every single one, the hunter immediately drops agro and is able to drop traps mid animation. Settling for anything less than this is unacceptable.

This mechanic alone has been patched twice now and is still just as broken as when we started.

I appreciate all you hunters trying to be creative and find work-arounds for this bug, but they are work arounds. The issue is not fixed, and hunters shouldn’t be settling for anything less as it sets a bad precedent.

The more I read about this issue, the more it becomes apparent to me that issue simply cannot be solved unless spell batching is removed from the game.

These ideas about making FD specifically work with spell batching and leaving other abilities broken is an unthinkable proposition and Blizzard needs to stop spending resources on making this one specific ability work

3 Likes

I realize that FD is not properly working atm, which is why, if FD does not work, I DE.

I wasn’t suggesting for a second, that this is in lieu of a fix.

I was simply pointing out the fact that if disengage is being brought up in this discussion it shows you how truly lost we are.

My personal opinion on this is that it can be damaging to your case. If something like disengage actually does make the mechanic work blizzard can simply “call it good” and say it’s fixed when it isn’t.

I’m not a hunter but I’m definitely on your side with this issue. I actually wanted to make a hunter alt but simply didn’t because of the many bugs this class has.

1 Like

Hold on there. I never stated that disengage makes FD work. But since you don’t play a hunter, you didn’t understand my post.

I appreciate your support for our cause, but you should educate yourself on the class before posting silly stuff like this :smiley:

You mean like bringing up disengage in a post about Feign Death?

Playing hunter or not, the only thing you need to know about hunters is that FD immediately drops combat and allows trapping. Outside of that everything else you could possibly need to know is irrelevant to this discussion

2 Likes

Just sharing a tip.

Am well aware of how FD is supposed to work, as have played a hunter for 15 years now. And I don’t really care if you think my post is relevant.

Yesterday, I made a video of a similar bug - a rogue’s vanish not dropping combat. In the video, I get a pickpocket resist and draw agro. I vanish while running away, but don’t drop combat, and the mobs keep attacking me. I then use preparation, sprint, and vanish again; only to continue to be chased by the mobs, WHILE STEALTHED, for several seconds until they attack me and unstealth me.

After I’m away from them for several seconds I use a health potion and for some reason am able to re-stealth even though I’m in an instance and the mobs are chasing me. I re-stealth and the mobs continue chasing me; they attack and kill me a couple seconds later.

Something is VERY BUGGED about combat-dropping abilities.

6 Likes

Thank you for posting your video Harmon. I was about to repost myself since the abilities are basically one in the same.

For all intents and purposes Vanish>Sap could be considered the same mechanic as FD/trap. Both should work instantly

At this point, I think we can say that these abilities aren’t what’s broken, combat itself is broken

4 Likes