Feign Death + Trap Bug

Never had an issue.

So for those able to get it working are we using a macro of some sort or just not moving when you use it? I’ve ran into a few melee and when using FD my trap isn’t becoming available. Just wondering how everyone else is getting it to work since its rolled out on NA servers.

They still haven’t fixed it entirely. FD had two bugs, one where you would drop combat too fast, but the mob would hit you thus bringing you back into combat (that they fixed), and another where it cancels itself if you use your right mouse button at all.

If you watch actual vanilla footage the timing seems to be correct (takes anywhere from half a second to a full second to drop combat), but it’s muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch less sensitive to movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFHoXedgSc&t=1032s

If you skip to 5:55 you can see him fd WHILE jumping and putting a trap down. Even though he skips the entire FD animation just pressing the button takes him out of combat. Also the warrior hits him but it actually takes a a second for him to get back into combat (due to batching I assume) giving him enough time to put down an freezing trap. I’m unsure if hunters are getting back into combat too fast, but that’s a pvp issue that I haven’t been able to test and probably won’t be able to test until they fix the “any movement whatsoever cancels FD” bug.

6 Likes

its to laggy because of the spell batching, should just make it seperate from spellbatching so its instant

I believe batching is a huge culprit of many issues classes face and general interaction. It’s like they aren’t just emulating batching, but actually trying to emulate internet latency which feels awful.

It feels awful just to loot something, click on an NPC, etc.

I think they’ve been silent on this because they either don’t care or are incapable of fixing it.

They really should have put in the time to refactor the entire codebase instead of just translating old data for the new engine and refactoring small parts. The whole thing should have been gone over with a fine toothed comb.

4 Likes

The trap it’s self has an arming time, add in this artificial lag on spells but not on movement and it’s so easy for melee to avoid the traps compared to vanilla even if you do get them off.

1 Like

I think we have very similar behavior with Intimidation. It always takes a second or so for the stun to actually go off, making it hard to use reactively to stop spell casts, etc.

I agree it seems to be some sort of issue with how pets interact with the batching. For many commands, they seem to wait for the next batch to do the action, and when commanding a direct ability it feels like 2 batches? (1 for the command to reach the pet, 1 for the pet to do the skill) - this all results in clunky pet control, which is really bad for stuff like SL and Intim.

Hopefully this can be looked at and smoothed out…

2 Likes

No, that’s normal.

Intimidation is like “your next attack stuns the target”

So, it’s not instant. It applies a buff to your pet and they get stunned when it hits. This means if they dodge/parry, it can take up to 5 seconds for it to go off.

Later, in retail, they changed it to just stun the target as soon as you activate it.

1 Like

Awesome!! Thank you! :smiley:

raises hand

How does this work with additive damage (yellow) to white weapon swings?

A paladin damage seal, for example, hits for white damage, then the yellow damage procs a second after the attack.

Is the hunter going to take “out of combat” damage?

Is the Paladin seal going to miss?

Is the hunter going to be stuck in combat still?

That’s a good question. I had an issue on my rogue where I vanished, entered stealth, and then the hunter’s pet hit me and landed a stun with Intimidation, but somehow I remained stealthed while stunned. It was weird, I’m 100% sure that shouldn’t have occurred. I either should have not been attacked by the pet, or I should have been brought out of stealth.

So today I was being chased by a rogue who turned around and targeted and gave chase so I said it was go time.

During the fight he obviously popped vanish - I counted 85 frames (at 60fps recording) for me to drop target once I first saw the smoke pop up. That seems like a really long time for an instant-cast ability to do it’s thing.

During that time until they completely disappeared, as they were fading out I was still seeing the rogue, their attack animations, etc. Only when he vanished completely did i see the usual frozen model.

That’s a long while, if you ask me.

1 Like

… what the hell did i just read
oh wait your guild name explains alot

Were happy that you guys acknowledged that is indeed broken. It doesn’t work vs fast swinging melee a lot of the time even if you’re standing still.

It’s great news you guys are investigating though as we can now continue to level our hunters!!

Problem not fixed, but Blizzard thinks it is. Looks like we’re screwed.

6 Likes

Did they make it drop combat instantly like it should?

2 Likes

So when is vanilla releasing? Private server gameplay actually feels way better

2 Likes

Programming bugs are slippery, they’re working on it, they’ll get it done.

I doubt it’ll take half a year like a certain other team’s work.

People playing beta were reporting problems with Feign Death in May. It’s almost a half a year already.

5 Likes

Hi Pazorax,
Appreciate the efforts but I am skeptical that this change has worked the way you intended it to or even if it does in fact match the behaviour of the original game/reference patch. The only thing I can see that was accomplished from this change is that dropping combat from Feign Death now has a significant delay rather than it being instant as per the prior behaviour. Additionally, due to this delay, it is even more difficult now to immediately assess whether your FD was successful and complete the out-of-combat action you intended (trap or otherwise). For a high-skill hunter, this change significantly hampers the potential of the class while using feign death. Happy to discuss further.

3 Likes