Please check out the preview and let us know what you think in this thread.

4 Likes

Absolutely a fan of what I’m seeing thus far for Mountain Thane. Thunder clap is such an iconic ability, yet is dreadfully underused (and not used at all for Fury in its current iteration). Arguably the most iconic warrior archetype in wow too.

Mechanically seems extremely well designed, sort of two subroutes with either a focus on more burst options (a la ravager) or sustained lightning procs. Wouldn’t mind a higher base chance to proc Thunder Blast than 20% from a mechanical standpoint but that’s tuning more than design.

11 Likes

Big fan of integrating Thunder Clap into Fury’s rotation. Overall Mountain Thane seems like the most engaging of the hero talent trees revealed so far.

12 Likes

I think I speak for every warrior ever - Bring Gladiator Back. Thane looks really cool, but there needs to be a sword/board DPS spec.

35 Likes

I have two types of Warrior fantasies that I like in WoW. Take a look at my mog for one of them. The other is the Mountain Thane/Mountain King.

Thematically, I love all of this. The one thing I would change is making Storm Bolt a heavy damage ability as it was in WoD, to really sell it.

Mechanically, I will need to test this. But I like what I see so far.

8 Likes

I’d agree with the Storm Bolt comment. I think it was demo’d in the trailer, but there’s only one talent which interacts with it. Could be as simple as making Storm Bolt always proc lightning strikes, then don’t necessarily need to mess with giving it the 1000% multiplier like the talent from years ago.

4 Likes

As long as blood and thunder will work! One of the early comments in DF beta was that TC felt bad as Fury because it still cost rage. Making TC generate rage is great. Make it also work with blood and Thunder even if that means bringing rend back to the class tree.

I would prefer they give Mountain Thane to arms instead of fury.
Replacing whirlwind with thunder clap is jarring and not something I’m personally interested in at all, thematically or mechanically.
I think it would be great for arms though, and already makes sense for their kit and theme.

11 Likes

Really interesting pitch so far. Loving the theme.

However, I feel the tree lacks in terms of utility, and this comes to reinforce Warrior’s problem with it for the last couple of expansions. I would like the 3-target storm bolt to not interfere with the Intervene talent.

Having said all that, I love what I saw.

2 Likes

Definitely have some nitpicky concerns about the tree but overall think its looking fairly good. Going to be keeping a close eye on the balance around it.

Three things that could use some clarifying right off the bat;

1. A few talents mention Stormstrike but that is not a warrior ability to my knowledge, is this a typo or a new ability we will be getting?
  2. Thunder clap is not something Fury has thought about taking all of Dragonflight because it doesnt synergy with the rotation (mainly because it has a rage cost) is thunder clap going to continue to have a rage cost or will it be changed to not cost rage?
  3. Call of Thunder mentions Improved WW and Meat Cleaver improving thunder clap, does this mean TC will give the WW stacks for the ST abilities or simply increase the thunder clap damage?
2 Likes

Stormstrike is a damage type – it’s the physical/nature combination. Then further down, it references thunder blast deals Stormstrike damage. Similarly, Call of Thunder specifies thunder clap will generate 5 rage.

1 Like

Don’t worry fellas, this guy is on it for us.

Just means it will do Nature and Physical damage together, it is not a different ability.

Call of Thunder tooltip already says that TClap will generate 5 rage for Fury.

I guess we can’t say this with 100% certainty, but with 95% certainty I’d say yes, the intention is for TClap to replace WW in the rotation as the “Cleave Activator”.

5 Likes

Seems cool, cant wait to test it! Please remove SMF and make it a transmog option

10 Likes

I love what i saw, it brings forward the Mountain King from WC3 and nails it on the head, aswell as giving us some new toys to play with and gives us somthing other than physical damage which is nice to have. The only thing im really concerned with is the base warrior trees (General tree,arms, fury, prot) is in some dire need for attention, we cant take ALOT of utility options because of how through put is on the tree. My fear is the base Warrior Class trees being more of a problem than the hero ones. And in this Era of wow, utility is way too important to not have.

2 Likes

If the intention is to have TC replace WW then they need to change the tooltip or the base talents to have all the WW talents affect TC. Talents in question being Barbaric Training, Seismic Reverberation, and Storm of Swords

The talent “Storm Bolts” seems to be out of place in this tree in terms of PvE considerations, and feels much more in line with a PvP talent. I feel that it could become problematic in M+ due to the effects of DR that is applies to mobs at random.

To break down my thoughts, Storm Bolts causes SB to cleave to two nearby targets at a 2s stun. This means that the only time that you can consistently rely on utilizing the cleaved stun on an additional target is on 2-3 target pulls, which at this point in M+'s lifespan is a small portion of pulls done in a key. In pulls above this size, it is likely that it will be near impossible to consistently stun additional targets that you’d want to prevent from a cast, at the same time as using SB itself to stop a cast.

So, what happens when SB cleave unnecessary targets? From my outlook, this talent will contribute to randomly DR’ing mobs within a pull outside of your control. The 2s stun is pretty insignificant if it results in later stuns being lower value, especially considering the fact that Fury now has access to Shockwave that it lacked in previous expacs, meaning that Fury does have a consistent AOE stun.

I have concerns that this will result in this talent being subtly detrimental in higher PvE contexts, to the point that you’d choose to take the Intervene talent over it regardless of whether or not you even run Intervene; you’d simply rather not risk the chance that the additional stuns on mobs lead to a point where you cannot actively stun targets due to DR. I don’t have any particular suggestions on how to rework this talent to avoid this issue, but I feel that this talent is problematic in how it exists in its current state in relation to how it’d like to be used. Thank you.

1 Like

To add on to this, That whole tier’s middle and right options are lacking overall.

Storm shield while interesting isnt going to be utilized very often since most Fury warriors dont bring it and idk how often Prot would actually use it

Storm bolts has the problems you mentioned

Valarjar Training means that Ravager is now going to be out of sync with all other CDs depending on the build meaning its going to be useless 90% of the time

Flashing skies is probably the best out of the these four since its just a passive crit addition

I feel like reworking these options would be the best as their mostly useless outside of VERY specific situations.

2 Likes

After my initial “oh my gosh yay more info” excitement I know have a major concern. Fury is already one of the highest APM, GCD locked specs in the game. Adding TC to the rotation is going to be really clunky as it will force A LOT of “I have four different buttons I could press right now, which one is right?”

I’d be in favor of TC fully replacing whirlwind for Fury.

Also can we please rework the TC animation? It’s not very “lightning” like anymore. Honestly like the classic animation better haha.

Storm Shield is a cool talent, but it needs to be made into a % based damage reduction. This 3x the amount of armor is just going to end up being too weak for higher level content.

2 Likes

I could see Stormshield interacting with the Warrior Tree talent “Armored to the Teeth,” but it would only increase the strengrh gained by a little.

Only thing stopping me from saying just have Stormshield directly increase the strength bonus of Armored to the Teeth is that the tripled armour will be effective in survivability.

Maybe having it be a choice node between increasing strength by several % of armour or the intended x3 armor might be a compromise.