I think they are moving away from the importance of character stats entirely. I am just a little bit better than normal raid gear and already the HPS issue is solved. I can trivialize the healing in a properly played dungeon to the point where I just use instant cast cleave heals and smite the whole time. The gear is basically already out of the picture except in the very top tiers of difficulty. The thing that makes or breaks any run is how much avoidable damage the DPS takes. Non-avoidable damage is comically trivial, and avoidable damage is comically lethal.

I just did 2 +12s back to back, one of them the prot war outhealed me by triple because I didn’t have to cast any heals. The evoker used knock up and knock back on CD and with my chastise and fear that’s all that was required to make the trash do no damage. Made for a clean 22 minute dungeon. Next dungeon, not one CC from anyone, 2 DPS standing in every spiteful, everyone standing in every mech, I am OOM the whole time, I did 6x more healing than the tank, and it was a 29 minute dungeon.

WoW is being converted into a more pure form of esport, where only player skill matters and nothing else.

They’re not, Blizzard’s sole involvement with the Race to World First is quite literally having devs available to address balancing issues because little of the content is tested.

Considering all “esports” is… is competitive gaming these quite literally are in fact designed exactly for that.

I’m fully convinced some of you don’t know what esports are and just use it as the boogeyman word for all things that you think are wrong with the game.

You could make an argument their reluctance to focus on E-Sports when it started to become popular is a potential reason the game has struggled going forward. And you could also make an argument one of hte key things WoW does nowadays is give a competitive avenue to MMO players outside of PvP.

I remember Arena being huge during BC-Wotlk, and blizzard flat out refusing to focus on it as an E-Sport and then LoL released mid-Cata and basically decimated the Arena playerbase and it never recovered. Later on they tried to hire an E-Sports director since they realized they missed the boat with their titles, but it was a day late and a dollar short at that point.

If WoW pushed the E-Sport narrative before LoL dropped, and possibly had something akin to M+ back in the day, I honestly think the game would be healthier in players nowadays, since thats just what the newer generation of gamers like.

So one raid tier, which they specifically said was a mistake to make it too hard, and won’t be doing again?

What is this nonsense. The Great Push was literally an esports event. It had no bearing whatsoever on your weekly 15s or your gameplay at all (unless it was one of the ones where you’d get the free toy for signing up with a team).

People like to piss and moan about the very existence of M+, but players were speedrunning dungeons for almost a decade before the MDI even existed.

Esports in this game has been an afterthought at best. And nothing more than a boogeyman for people looking for something to justify their dissatisfaction with the game.

1 Like

Wow is never gonna be an E-Sport . It’s been 20 years old man. Let it go.

I mean, they still have a competitive scene, but it’s mainly driven by the community.

It’s more like, no matter how much you dislike esports, it’s a reality for now and the future.

1 Like

Stopped reading there.

well they flat out came out and said in shadowlands they wasn’t nerfing super op classes cause the key thing was going on so there’s one you want some more. i do believe as you well know they used to balance the game when it needed not when tournaments were over lol. and the viewership for wow pretty much shows not very many are in to watching wow get played on twitch or youtube. why worry about holding the game back when no one watches the things.

1 Like

This has probably been said already, but spec balancing is a big one. Once a meta has been established, blizzard has come right out and said that they will not do any significant changes that will impact the specs that e-sport teams are already invested in.

3 Likes

It had nothing to do with a tournament because those are held on tournament realms which are frequently on different balance patches from the live game anyway.

They felt severely nerfing destro/survival at that point would immediately cause the highest keys possible to time to be keys pre-nerf, and trying to time the same or higher level keys later in the season after the nerf would have likely been impossible.

Which I think is a fair point. Yes, the nerfs should have come sooner (like on the PTR), but they didn’t.

I agree, although I think pvp kinda is an eSport, or at least isn’t hurt by that approach to balance and tuning.

exactly they use to do huge nerfs week one when people were super op yes its because esports as well as tuning is nowadays they make stuff super annoying just to slow down world first raiders as well as keys which it takes forever til the nerfs get to the point were the majority of players can even get past the first few bosses in mythic.

I think it’s hilarious when the devs make changes for them and it changes nothing about how they play but makes the game worse for pros and everyone else. Honestly, I’m beginning to think it’s just a design principle at this point.

I agree none of the content in Wow should be a competition its that toxic mentality that has segregated players from each other and created these divides. anyone even less experienced should be able to experience all the content in Wow regardless of gear level or skill.

The toxic raiding community has gate-kept mythic+ for gear progression for raiding and the purpose of mythic+ was to provide a challenge for casuals who had limited time to raid to have access to raid-quality gear. Blizzard knows this and has actively added more ways for elitists to condone access to these features in the game and deny others, for example, raider IO’s entire purpose is to filter out anyone, not as experienced or “geared” and should be banned from use in the game.

It blizzards game, if they continue the game will have fewer and fewer players who are here to have fun and mainly people competing for an Ilvl but again they can stop all of that if they wanted to and those “toxic” players would go find other games more competitive and Wow would start growing again possibly.

3 Likes

Thousands of guilds are past the first 2 mythic bosses right now and they haven’t been touched. In general they err on the side of too hard and nerf, because if they release something too easy and buff the playerbase loses their mind. Like SBG and CoS should be buffed for anyone that cares about dungeon balance, but players would revolt instead of saying “yes that’s a logical balance change”

They’ve been doing weekly hotfix adjustments pretty much every week except for the holiday break.

Your comments don’t align with reality for most of the game. Any difficulty at all gets blanket thrown at “esports” instead of WoW.

Back in Vanilla when like 50 guilds in the world did Naxx (significantly more exclusive than any modern raid) were you here talking about it’s because they design the game for esports and the 1% and that’s why they didn’t nerf fury warriors? I just want to make sure we are consistent is all.

The blue hotfix thread, started on 12/19 has been updated on the following dates:

1/11
1/9
1/6
1/5
1/4
1/3
12/22
12/21
12/20
12/19

Correct

Why? Who are you to define what is supposed to be an Esport or not? If people want to watch people compete over it, than it is their choice.

What part of the game do you think is being designed for Esports? You keep saying that it shouldn’t and all evidence points to it not being, so what is the point of this thread? Be more specific.

This is exactly what I hate. First time I ran some of these DF dungeons on normal, the tank is taking the Mythic+ route through instead of just gathering up enemies to AoE down. I was able to follow them alright, but we had one person who got too close to something and aggroed a pack. We killed it with no problem, then they got vote kicked by the rest of the party.

I used to love tanking; I know all of the WotLK and Cata dungeons like the back of my hand from how many times I tanked those on heroic. Now I don’t know the routes, I don’t know the skips, and I don’t want to get flamed and kicked because I accidentally pulled a pack that we’re supposed to run past with an invisibility pot.

I want to go back to a mix of Pandaria and Wrath. Replace M+ with challenge modes. No outgearing it, no cheesing it. All the rewards are cosmetic or valor. And then BRING BACK BADGE GEAR FROM WRATH. I never raided in Wrath because I started too late, but by the time Cata released, I was decked out in 232s from Emblems of Frost. Let us use heroic dungeons as a way to get gear (slower than raiders), and let the people who want to push themselves have the scaled challenge modes with a timer and cosmetic rewards.

2 Likes

no. and git gud

Pretty sure the people who make the game get to say what it is supposed to be.