Favorite book?

Anything by Clive Cussler.. not the kid, the Dad!
Most of the series' by David Eddings :)

The Belgariad
The Mallorean
The Elenium
The Tamuli

And a lot of his stand alone books too (Belgarath and Polgara as addendums to the first two in particular. The Redemption of Althalus was good too)

His later works (mostly the Dreamers series) weren't nearly as good, sadly... but that was because his wife had died by that point and he had even said she was his muse and essentially co-authored the books. They weren't BAD, mind you... but you could tell he lost something :( (and understandably).

But yea... huge swords and sorcery buff here. I love a lot of the Forgotten Realms books, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, etc. (and some of the old White Wolf world of darkness stuff too). But Eddings' work will still be my favorite :)
2 Likes
10/29/2018 01:52 AMPosted by Jalania
10/28/2018 09:02 PMPosted by Tyrrist
This is more common than some people’s input but I love The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

I know that isn’t a book but many. Good read I love the imagery but it can get a little graphic and preachy.

Precisely why I stopped reading after Soul of the Fire (Book 5) he got too preachy for my taste.

Faith of the Fallen (book 6) is a favorite from the series at our house. Beyond that, Goodkind really needed his editor to do his job and trim out some of the fluff and redundancies.
Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Close second is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
1 Like
Nice to see so many of my favorites get shout-outs. If I had to pick one, it'd be another vote for Watership Down.
My favorite book is one that I can read over and over but never get tired of it.

Sphere by Michael Crichton
I’m reading Dune now. I’m about a quarter through it and it’s hard for me to keep going. :|

I read the first two Lord of the Rings books before giving up on the third when I was younger. I tried reading the first one again several months ago and stopped halfway through it. Too much info dump and way too many songs.

But I loved the Wheel of Time series. I couldn’t get enough of those books. Then I got started on reading everything Brandon Sanderson since he was the one to finish the Wheel of Time books when the original author passed away.

I’m also currently reading the Darkest Minds. I’m undecided on it so far.

And now I just purchased the first book in the Coldfire trilogy based on the recommendation earlier in the thread. Fingers crossed on that one. :)
What else?

Most anything by Heinlein or Clarke. Most anything about Dwarves.
1 Like
That's a hard one... I hesitate between the Silmarillion from Tolkien or 100 years of loneliness of Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams.

Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck.

Animal Farm, Orwell.

Anything by Cormac McCarthy, he makes you think but it can be sad.
1 Like
Pretty much all my favorite books are ones I read in high school lol. To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, and LotR trilogy.
Watership Down
Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes

Mist by Miguel du Unamuno, you can find translated versions of his work at Amazon. His work is simply amazing.
Anything S. E. Hinton
1 Like
10/28/2018 07:56 PMPosted by Parabnormal
"Watchers" by Dean Koontz
Raymond E. Feist's books
"Dresden Files" series by Jim Butcher
"Mercy Thompson" series by Patricia Briggs
"Alpha and Omega" series by Patricia Briggs
"Jane Yellowrock" series by Faith Hunter
"Hero and the Crown" and "The Blue Sword" by Robin McKinley
"Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind

Ha! Watchers. I remember reading that years ago
Easily wheel of time series.

Also thoroughly enjoyed the original amityville horror by Jay anson. Jodie creeped me the hell out
Very difficult to choose just one book. I'm a big fan of "hard" sci-fi such as Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Niven and Purnelle, Turtledove. I also really enjoy reading Mark Twain's stories, Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King and Frank Herbert. Tolkien's books are enjoyable and so are works by Kim Stanley Robinson, Spike Milligan and Winston Churchill.

For me it'd be a three way tie between The Silmarillion (JRR Tolkien), The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (William Schirer), and The Stand (Stephen King).

I love that series!
I’m reading Dune right now but I’m not enjoying it. I don’t want to abandon it though. I really dislike the writing style.

Example: Paul moved to the table, said: “Hello, Mother.”

1 Like

Which version of the Stand by Stephen King? I prefer the longer version myself and I have read both.

1 Like

I couldn’t get into the dune series either