Favorite book?

Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward.

Anything written by David Dalglish.
Constitution of the united states of America and the Declaration of Independence.
2 Likes
Mostly I love a good psychological thriller The Bride Collector, Into the Woods, Sharp Objects, The couple Next Door, She Lies Hidden, The girl Before (finished last night) , Girls in the Water, The Boneman's Daughter, the list goes on and on and on. I'm an avid reader and will inhale on average 2 books a week (more in the winter).

My favorite stand out books though actually aren't in my preferred genre and those are:
The Child Thief by Gerald Brom I fricken loved that book. Basically a dark, urban-esque/fantasy grown up Peter Pan. Very well written I could not put the book down.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first book in a 3 book series. It is beautifully written I really like his style of writing. It's fantasy which is not my normal genre but I ended up with the book somehow and I'm glad to have read it. It's a first person narrative of Kvothe, a magician but when the story tarts out he is only eleven.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Wrote a 12 page essay on it for my eng. comp. 101) An amazing story told in many voices about a missionaries family and about the congo too. The story spans a lifetime.
The Dark Tower by Stephen King

I even liked the ending (which cheesed off a whole lot of people.)

10/28/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Hankypanky
I also like Stephen Kings, Under the Dome. Very loooong, but also very good!

Tell me true: did the mini series cheese you off also? i was pretty angry about that one.
1 Like
Nothing i've read has left a totally 100% a+ impression on me.

But i can tell you for certainty, that i loathed The Scarlet Letter. You can tell Hawthorne got paid by the word, it was so damn fluffy i wanted to die after every chapter.
The Count of Monte Cristo. It's not a classic for nothing.
I love Science Fiction.

Give me science fiction books and I'm pretty happy.
The old man and the sea - Ernest Hemingway

A short (100 something pages) fable about an old man fishing for big (marlin) fish in a canoe with a hand reel in Central America in early 20th century. An allegory for the struggles of life and never letting go. :)

It’s a simple story that cuts deep and has stayed with me for a long time.

More recently I was struck with “All the things we cannot see” for its gorgeous prose and raw humanity. The most memorable book I’ve read in the last few years.
1 Like
The Stand by Stephen King
2 Likes
10/28/2018 06:37 PMPosted by Oldboy
The old man and the sea - Ernest Hemingway

A short (100 something pages) fable about an old man fishing for big (marlin) fish in a canoe with a hand reel in Central America in early 20th century. An allegory for the struggles of life and never letting go. :)

It’s a simple story that cuts deep and has stayed with me for a long time.

More recently I was struck with “All the things we cannot see” for its gorgeous prose and raw humanity. The most memorable book I’ve read in the last few years.

That was a good read for me, too. Very easy to read. That is, Old Man and the Sea.
1 Like
I can't choose a single favorite. Here's some:

- Anything Tolkien
- Anything Dragonlance
- Anything Legend of Drizzt
- Dune (the first one; I haven't read anything past that)
- The Dwarves series by Markus Heitz

If you meant specific to Warcraft, I think The Last Guardian would be my favorite.

I still have Lovecraft stuff on my list but haven't gotten around to any of it yet.
3 Likes
Atlas Shrugged
2 Likes
10/28/2018 05:30 PMPosted by Drusillia
Dragonlance - The twins trology

The book of the new Sun by Gene Wolf

A song of ice and fire series

Totally forgot about Dragonlance, that was a good read.
Lord of the Rings Series
Dune Series
Foundation Series.
1 Like
Fiction -- Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson.

Fantasy -- Lord of the Rings for the story and Silmarillion just for beauty of the language.

Non-Fiction -- The Utility of Force by General Sir Rupert Smith. A must read on the history on the use of military force as a concept. Especially, when political leaders have not really thought out the consequences of either success or failure.

Food for the soul -- online one can find parallel translations for the Bible and Qur'an where each has distinct translations side by side. It lends a powerful reminder of how much of translation is poetry and context. For the Torah, definitely recommend the Jewish Publication Society version as it is honest about what passages cannot be properly translated because no one is certain as to what the original really is.

That said, take time to have a King James version and read it out loud. The same with the Qur'an with A.J. Arberry's interpretation.
1 Like
Hitchhiker's guide series by Douglas Adams, you can get all 5 novels in one book on amazon. I can say it will grip you in the first paragraph, very good stuff.
I have a few, but just to name one: Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. (And the mini-series comes out next year, yay!)
"Watchers" by Dean Koontz
Raymond E. Feist's books
"Dresden Files" series by Jim Butcher
"Mercy Thompson" series by Patricia Briggs
"Alpha and Omega" series by Patricia Briggs
"Jane Yellowrock" series by Faith Hunter
"Hero and the Crown" and "The Blue Sword" by Robin McKinley
"Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind
10/28/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Twibiju
The Dark Tower by Stephen King

I even liked the ending (which cheesed off a whole lot of people.)

10/28/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Hankypanky
I also like Stephen Kings, Under the Dome. Very loooong, but also very good!

Tell me true: did the mini series cheese you off also? i was pretty angry about that one.

I actually didn't watch the series because they combined a few of the characters or left them out completely. I'm sure if I did watch it lol I would have hated it.

I like how sometimes Stephen King will just write and write and write lol... I like all the extra characters even if it's minor.

Edit: Ugh! I really liked the Dark Tower too.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Good Omens - Pratchett & Gaiman
LOTR
The Witching Hour
Anything by Alice Hoffman
Mysteries in general
Really too many to list. I read a lot