Favorite book?

10/28/2018 12:14 AMPosted by Pepperhead
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Sagan was amazing. Thank you for including this.
1 Like
I am currently reading The Lady of the River by Philippa Gregory. I have always been fascinated by The Wars of the Roses and have enjoyed each of her novels on the Plantagenets and Tudors.

My love for genealogy really kicked my interest in that era up many notches. Like many, many people, if you trace your family history back, you will find ancestors with ties to that era.

I say all that because I usually find myself defending my love of Mrs Gregory’s novels.
my favorite book is..

The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey

I also like the rest of the Pern series. Another favorite author is David Eddings.

sadly I've had to switch to audio books because of damage in my neck I can't read books anymore :(
5 Likes
10/27/2018 11:50 PMPosted by Zeropointt
10/27/2018 11:38 PMPosted by Momimfotm
A confederacy of dunces
John Kennedy Toole <3
Gone too soon.

Yep. His mother had it published posthumously, it's actually a really endearing story.

Tolkien - Silmarillion.

Got this from my local library. Tried so badly to read it but I found it very difficult to follow. Felt really stupid. >.<
The Holy Bible, Old and New Testament
5 Likes
10/27/2018 11:31 PMPosted by Sacarver
watership down
lovecraft, necronomicon
speaker for the dead

and a wow throw in because it honestly is really good, lord of the clans

Speaker For the Dead and Xenocide were both such good books.

Favorites would probably have to be To Kill a Mockingbird and Dracula.
10/27/2018 11:40 PMPosted by Omnipotentjc
New Testament, bread of life babyyy

Same. But I'd like to add an honorable mention...
I really like the Elfquest series
2 Likes
The Quoran القرآن‎
Theres nothing like crying yourself to sleep with a good calculus book.
1 Like
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Close second is probably any of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere books
I'll list my favourite author, I usually enjoy all their books.

JRR Tolkien

Anne Mccaffrey

Patrick Rothfus

Frank Herbert

Carl Sagan

Margaret Atwood

Isaac Asimov

Robin Hobb

Sharon Penman

And many more.
10/28/2018 12:15 AMPosted by Funassassin
The Death Gate Cycle - 7 books total
I read them as they were coming out and thoroughly enjoyed them. I've enjoyed a lot of Weiss/Hickman novels.

Hard to say what my favorite book is. Dune is probably my favorite series, but I could only go so far into the newer novels. I really liked the Magician:Apprentice premise. I started reading the GoT novels some time before the TV series, I'd like them more if he'd commit to a better release schedule (but respect creativity doesn't care about deadlines). I liked the start of WoT but had to force myself to finish them.

Seriously, I've read 1000s of books and rarely read them more than once so I don't think favorite is meaningful to me. Just like or dislike. I'm currently reading Malazan, it was hard to get started (put it down a couple of times) but I'm starting to really enjoy them.

EDIT: Almost forgot Asimov, Caves of Steel series which evolved into The Foundation series. So many intertwined novels, they were great but I lost some interest once I figured out his formula for writing. Arthur C Clarke is probably my favorite author of books to read for enjoyment, but I couldn't point to a series that fit in the top.

Shannara deserves a mention, as does Zahn's Thrawn series which got me into the EU for a while. My guild name is from a great Michael Moorcock series, yes I have a character named Elric as well (still looking for Stormbringer).
1 Like
Wheel of Time and Shananra series. And also the Diablo books.
F. Paul Wilson’s Repairman Jack novels
The one I wrote, has gotten good to great reviews, but am barely marketing cuz I suck at self-promotion.

Favorite I didn't write: Ring by Stephen Baxter.
1984 and Where the Red Fern Grows.
1 Like
There are way too many to count lol.

(puts out a lovely tray of cookies for all to enjoy)
2 Likes
10/28/2018 07:06 AMPosted by Vararei
The one I wrote, has gotten good to great reviews, but am barely marketing cuz I suck at self-promotion.

Link it here! I'm love reading new things.

Let's see... Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse is a classic, short but intensely thought-provoking. I love Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo, although I wish it were arranged a little better (I understand why it isn't, though). For more modern books, I like everything by Brandon Sanderson. Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles is fantastic, and I also enjoyed Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.
It is so hard to narrow down a favorite book but I am going to have to go with four books.

A Collection of Brother's Grimm Fairy Tales
The Wind in the Willows
Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe
The Satanic Verses
The Dune novels by Frank Herbert, along with the sequels that his son wrote.