Exploring Azeroth: Kalimdor early arrivals/leaks

Ok, that makes sense. But, it’s weird that there’s an article using the book as a reference for that piece of information, when it was already known.

Goblin titles don’t make much sense to me. If Mogul Razdunk was the leader of the Venture Company, and the Venture Company is a goblin cartel, but he couldn’t ascend to the rank of Trade Prince, what does that mean? He still lead the cartel, so what difference did it make if he was called a Mogul or a Trade Prince? I don’t mean to derail the thread, but that seems kind of relevant if we’re talking about goblin titles.

I really doubt it will considering it seems bent on keeping certain Cata story beats(like the aforementioned Tirigarde Keep) but we will see.

I would like consistency in this regard in the spirit of 20th century Italian mafias lol

1. Trade Princes = Trade Coalition Members
  2. Moguls
  3. Bosses
  4. Lead Associate Vice Boss (joke, IRL titles be like)
1 Like

It’s okay and I also don’t understand it. It’s possible that some sort of union in the background or ancient agreements to prevent anyone from straight up declaring themselves a Trade Prince, to make it a more exclusive title, and prevent would be usurpers or something in Goblin society.

If Undermine event becomes a place we can visit in game, I can easily see that process of a Trade Prince and why someone like Razdunk couldn’t give himself the title would be explained.

Here’s to hoping, but like you said we shall see.

https://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Exploring-Azeroth-Kalimdor/dp/1950366618?asin=1950366618&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1

2 Likes

At least now we know Ashenvale is part of the book, so we will find out its current status, for good or ill.

2 Likes

I get the sense that there’s a certain level of power and personal wealth relative to the other top-ranking goblins that goes with being acknowledged as a Trade Prince, and Razdunk just wasn’t wealthy and influential enough to have it. Calling himself a Trade Prince without meeting those qualifications wouldn’t necessarily be considered “illegal” or something, but it would mark him as a rank poser in the eyes of the other cartels and those goblins who rightfully garnered that esteemed position.

Goblins play fast and loose with a lot of things, but they also value being perceived as legitimately important and prestigious. Razdunk claiming to be Trade Prince when the legit Trade Princes and their cartels all know he doesn’t qualify would probably be considered pretty shameful and affect the other cartels’ willingness to do business with him.

Knowing goblins, there’s probably some elaborate accounting of monetary and property assets, lines of credit, profit margins and range of influence that gets verified and ostentatiously shown off for all to see before the cartels throw some obscenely over-the-top party to acknowledge someone as a Trade Prince.

Any tangible documentation of that acknowledgement is likely accompanied by an invoice to the newly declared Trade Prince from the others to cover the expenses of said party, naturally under the sort of swift Terms of Payment that they’d expect a goblin of such wealth to be able to cover and appropriate special surcharges in keeping with projected market rates at the time.

3 Likes

WTF! One would think the Horde would have wiped that fort off the map by now. That place is practical on the front lawn of Orgimmar.

14 Likes

The implication is it was destroyed but later restored during the Fourth War. The perfect time would theoretically be right after Zandalar was attacked.

1 Like

Hey, that’s neat! Monty seems to be a “tycoony” sort of name.

Reminds me of Charles Montgomery Plantagenet Schicklgruber “Monty” Burns.

Or Montana “Monty” Max from Tiny Toon adventures.

That aside, the way Thrall ends the letter is curious.

“Aka’magosh”

It reminds me of people saying “amg” = “amagosh”. I guess I was speaking Orcish without knowing it.

1 Like

How does this even make any sense? Would it not make logical sense that this would be the FIRST target to be destroyed in an Alliance-Horde conflict given the fact that it’s a stronghold settled close to the Horde’s main city?

3 Likes

The general consensus on the matter is that the keep was destroyed in Cataclysm. Hence why Garrosh directed the Horde in destroying Northwatch Hold as the closet Alliance base on his march to destroy Theramore.

The keep ruins were apparently left to stand for whatever reason, possibly as hubris and pride to see the ruins of the Alliance keep on Horde stands. However per the BfA mission tables the keep saw activity with the Alliance coming in to salvage and rebuild, the Horde sending a strike team to shut that down, and the book ultimately revealing that the Alliance were successful.

It is very baffling but Sylvanas in seeking to prolong the war, could have simply let the keep stand and have that Horde-Alliance battle over it to help funnel souls to the Maw and the Jailer. However it doesn’t explain why other Horde generals didn’t just grab their own forces, or have the orcs from Razor Hill and the Darkspear group together, and march forwards to raze the keep to the ground.

But what really gets me is that the Alliance abandoned their outposts on Zandalar as a sign of their committed to the armistice, but they are actively seeking to rebuild the keep on Durotar’s soul and close to Orgrimmar, which is considered the main capitol of the Horde.

Seriously I feel someone should tweet someone at Blizzard about to ask since it doesn’t make sense and puts a lie to the Alliance commitment to the armistice, which really irks me since the Horde actually had a legal right to execute the Alliance spy master Mathias Shaw for being caught spying on their lands and as a show of their good faith to the armistice returned him to the Alliance.

17 Likes

The devil lives in the details, and it’s in the details that you realize how poor this lore is compared to the classic-mop era. The entire plot involving these Alliance military posts in Kalimdor was well developed initially taking into account how it was of paramount importance for the Alliance to maintain its logistical capacity to supply these locations with supplies.

And as far as the Horde is concerned, the entire plot took into account how important it was for the faction to destroy the supply routes that supplied these places, to start a more effective siege on them.

Now when the Alliance has pretty much lost all its ports in Kalimdor, they simply drop an Alliance outpost inside Durotar, and by the way the supply routes they supply are never mentioned, probably if someone asked this in a Blizzcon for the devs, they would say that Jaina teleports 1 ton of supplies there weekly. The fact is that the Alliance simply has an outpost in Durotar, and by the way to make it viable to keep troops there they have solved the long-term problem of Durotar being unfeasible for growing agricultural crops.

One thing I liked about lore in the old days was the fact that principles of basic militarism were taken into account. But after these devs simply threw a Saurfang pincer maneuver into the territory of the kaldoreis, which they didn’t know was possible, even though they lived there for 10,000 years, I became convinced that these current devs don’t have the remotest notion of basic military concepts. . And that always culminates in a less interesting lore, because basically this is a game about wars.

But I would go further, do you realize that all the bombing of Theramore loses its meaning in light of this outpost still existing?

Garrosh only bombed Theramore because he simply wanted to destroy the Alliance’s supply chain in Kalimdor, and make it impossible to supply his troops in Barrens, Durotar and Ashenvale.

It may sound simple, but a simple outpost in Durotar simply turns elements of lore into nonsense.

But so what? Does anyone care about that on the writing team? They will only put an outpost in Durotar, for random reasons, players like the jerks they are will never see the discrepancies in the narrative.

16 Likes

We see the problems. The problem is blizzard doesn’t care what we mere peons have to say about it, it’s why so many have a meh, who cares attitude. Hopefully blizz is serous about listening to its players

8 Likes

I’m ready to be disappointed and/or disgusted… if the book ever comes out.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if the Horde keeps it forever.

1 Like

wb Elesana😘

2 Likes

Based on Tiragarde Keep still being Alliance, its possible that Ashenvale itself will be split with each side controlling their Cata towns.

1 Like

I’m just so tired of Blizzard actually thinking this is what Alliance players want. “See! We gave Alliance all these off screen wins! Aren’t you happy?” it means literally nothing, and that’s why they do it. Because it costs them nothing to just put in some flavor lines.

24 Likes

The only rational reason I can think of for Tiragarde Keep to still be there and manned is that its presence was an Alliance condition for the peace treaty that the Horde Council chose to go along with as a show of good faith.

2 Likes

If you read the leaked page talking about Tiragarde Keep, it says otherwise

“The Horde tried to stop Keep Watcher Kerry from restoring it during the Fourth War but failed. Maybe we’ll get 'em someday.”

Obviously, Zekhan wouldn’t want the Horde to “get 'em,” if what you’re saying is true.

1 Like