Exploit: Summoning infernal on non-flagged players in Cenarion Hold causes guards to attack non-flagged players

I mean… it IS an exploit… regardless of what people consider it to be. There’s a bug in the mechanics of the game that causes the guards to aggro the people hit by the infernal, but not the infernal itself.

3 Likes

The irony of a guy who has 20+ accounts purely to grief other players complaing about being griefed.

QQ

1 Like

Because this is how the faction-based guards operate. Go pick a fight in Light’s Hope, watch as your victim tries to hop away even without damaging you and get murdered by the horseback guards.

The “ABSOLUTELY NO PVP EVER” flagging is very touchy. Infernals have a unique quirk in that they are PvP flagged, but their damage is only assigned to themselves, and the damage occurs before the Infernal is linked to the Warlock as a pet. The guards also have the quirk of not murdering random hostile NPCs near them… so the guards are working as intended.

Attempted to recreate this. Couldn’t get it to work.

:cactus:

The guards might be working as intended but the end result is not as intended.

Whether that means fixing guards or infernals is ultimately irrelvant to the end result.

Obvious bug. Has been occurring for a while now. I mean it’s hilarious but that doesn’t mean it’s not a bug, and it should be fixed as soon as possible. Warlocks just sit around waiting for raid groups to start forming for AQ20/40, or they wait for a bunch of people to show up or get summoned to CH with world buffs, then they drop the tactical infernal nuke on their heads. Guards will immediately aggro anyone who was hit by the initial infernal damage when it’s dropped, and the warlock is safe & sound. Not talking about the normal infernal damage aura that you get hit with when you’re standing near one. It’s just the initial damage when it drops on your head that causes guard aggro.

First time I saw it happen, it was a horde warlock dropping an infernal onto like 20+ alliance with buffs who were summoning in to all ride to AQ40 together. Pretty confident they’ve since changed their tactics and just summon at the portal itself now lol.

Incorrect.

You trigger guards by being damaged, the victim of the attack. Hence this huge bug.

We need this fixed ASAP.

Nah. I’ve been damaged before without getting flagged.

The tears of a multiboxer taste sweetest, enjoy the infernals :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am assuming you don’t have a clue how ignorant you sound right now.

Correct and thats the exploit

Well this is both hilarious and useless.

I’ll let you read the rest of the thread so you can understand how PvP flagging works with faction-based guards.

It’s just a troll. About half of what it says is misinformation.

Well, its irrelevant because people are being flagged as having taken hostile action simply for taking damage from an infernal. They can stand there, perform zero actions, and will still be killed. The infernal is not touched by the guards.

This is not normal behavior - this is akin to aoeing the crowd in CH, not aggroing guards, but the people you aoe are flagged as hostile by the guards for taking damage from you. This isnt the intended behavior of neutral town guards and you know it.

1 Like

Much like me Entangling Roots someone in the path of the horse-back Light’s Hope guards and watching them get murdered…

Also faction-guards don’t act like the low-level city guards do and chase down any hostile NPC nearby.

The intended behavior of neutral town guards is to ruthlessly kill anyone engaged in PvP, with varying degrees of hostility based on reputation with said guards. In this particular case, a unique NPC is spawned (the Infernal) that is PvP-flagged (because Vanilla-era Warlock flavor) that causes anyone damaged by its initial summoning to take PvP-combat damage (thus flagging them) but crediting that damage only to a mere NPC (who go unnoticed by these kinds of guards).

If we make town guards nuke NPCs, you solve only the problem of penalizing the Warlock partially, as it may still fail to flag them after the fact.

If we make the Infernal changed, outside of altering the PvP flag portion, I’m not sure an easy hotfix is available since so much of it is Vanilla-like.

The guards are acting exactly as they’re supposed to, virulently hostile on a hair-trigger to any PvP-combat regardless of how it starts or is participated in. Reputation with said guards has some seeming Vanilla-flavor balance on this as well, but I couldn’t give a crap to dig further on this. The possibly easiest fix is the Infernal itself, but given the wonky order-of-operations and Vanilla-intent of summoning such an entity around “civil” folks, I’m not sure that’s actually true.

This is as Vanilla-like as MC-ing Mattingly to reset Ony and a host of other weird, probably unintended, but otherwise true to Vanilla quirks. I couldn’t care less about something that is incredibly niche and avoidable and find the angst over it pretty funny, notably when the OP is a multi-boxer who regularly ruins someone’s day.

1 Like

oh, you wanted to argue in bad faith. my mistake for engaging.

if this is intended, why can a player stand in a safe spot in CH, aoe players, and the players being aoe’d arent attacked by the guards? They’re taking damage, they’re engaged in pvp per your definition. But the guards dont care. Only damage from one specific infernal ability causes this to occur.

Don’t waste time answering, we already both know the answer: its a bug.

Are we still talking about the Infernal summon AoE? Because the player doing the summoning isn’t credited with the damage, the Infernal is, who isn’t yet flagged as a pet of the summoning player when the damage arrives. I thought that much was very clear in the thread already…

Again, slowly and with bullet points:

• Warlock summons Infernal
  • Infernal lands dealing Inferno damage to anyone it lands on
  • Damage dealt by Inferno is credited to Infernal like any other pet
  • Unlike any other pet, the Inferno is summoned in a hostile state and auto-Enslaved.
  • The auto-Enslave happens after the damage occurs
  • Neutral faction guards don’t murder NPCs indiscriminately
  • Because the Infernal does damage all on its own without actually crediting the Warlock as far as the game is concerned, the Infernal is for all intents and purposes no different than a world NPC dealing AoE damage to people, so the guards ignore it
  • HOWEVER because the Infernal’s damage is auto-flagged for PvP because Vanilla-era flavor, anyone damaged by it is now also flagged for PvP, which the neutral faction guards hate, and thus murder anyone flagged in combat

Much like the guards being chained into the nearby Silithid hive and just straight murdering anyone in the region, the guards have a very twitchy reaction to just about everything. However, because of a quirk of the order of events with summoning an Infernal, Warlocks get to have their cake and eat it too without needing to strip down naked to screw with people.

This isn’t a bug, this is a feature. Time will tell if Blizzard can actually patch in a meaningful change that doesn’t break the guards, Infernals, summoning, PvP flagging, or something else entirely.

Could you provide a video of this behavior? I’ve never seen them act that way.

Remember when I said dont bother responding because we all already know its bug? Yea, you should have taken my advice.

No video handy, but I can try to make one I guess. Never have.

There’s also this regarding reputation and quirks with Light’s Hope:

I know that I’m just shy of Exalted and the only people I can ever Entangle in the path of the mounted guards (the others do jack and crap) are usually lowbies or clearly undergeared folks. I guess I can try stripping and harassing some of the former High Warlords that like the lurk in the area between their queues.

If CH guards work like LH guards are presumably working (reputation has an impact), might be worth seeing what you can get away with when you’re Honored/Revered/Exalted with CH. That’s a no-go on my server for now, we JUST got the damned gates open.

EDIT: Ah found an actual source:

So with this official word from Blizzard:

• We know neutral folks are SOL if attacked. A lot of folks in CH could very well be neutral if the gates aren’t open, and/or the victims haven’t done any AQ20.
  • The more willing to assist language is very vague. Is this a ramping thing based on level of reputation? It also implies that Exalted Warrior attacking Neutral Druid should just be given free reign, but maybe less so if attacking a Friendly or Honored Druid?
  • The thresholds for each reputation and how it relates to other player reputations is entirely unknown.

So maybe I get away with far more because I’m picking on Neutral folks? Or I’m picking on folks with much lower reputations than me? I wonder what happens if an Exalted player fights another Exalted player? Does it just affect aggro radius? So many questions.

1 Like