Expand beard options to lady dwarves / dark Iron dwarves

“As long as it’s NOT the Volgan. Did I spell that right?”
/giggle

1 Like

are we sure about this, though?

Oh dear Valar the fact that … Someone wants to actually say that WoW does not heavily rely on Tolkien or their works for inspiration at all has made me laugh so hard that I ended up in a coughing fit. So I suppose thanks for the laugh?!?

Since I know you are a known troll I am going to assume you aren’t actually this … Ahem uneducated and truly just trolling for the sake of trolling. And while that would be unbelievably aggravating, I actually hope it is the truth in this case, because I truly don’t wish that level of uneducation on anyone.

1 Like

“Then you are implying that Blizzard INVENTED Elves, Orcs, Goblins, and ALL the other creatures in their game. This is not true.”

“Life inspires Life. This has ALWAYS been a fact.”

1 Like

i dont believe so.

“They don’t have to say it. We ALL know the History of the Genre. That is, everyone but you.”

3 Likes

i think they do.

“It’s not something YOU can suggest is false either.”

“Time to take care of other things. Have fun, everyone!”
/vanish

1 Like

Reminds me of the Legendary Ring quest in Warlords. All the nerd culture pertaining to D&D, Tolkein, Salem witchcraft from Drustvar, I mean I couldn’t even begin to list each and every example.

This game is made by nerds for nerds.

3 Likes

Morihame has direct influence from Tolkien’s works. He’s a huge fan.

2 Likes

Some people are more concerned about being correct about literally anything than looking like a complete idiot, it’s alright :dracthyr_heart:

2 Likes

Let’s also look at the legal issues with Blizzard publicly announcing that they did take inspiration: Sure, they won’t get outright sued, they’re more than covered, but announcing in an official statement that they took heavy inspiration from Tolkien and DnD does open the door for them to be compared for possible legal issues with certain aspects that are quite copied. Here’s a good example of why they won’t do it: Moonkins were pulled almost straight out of DnD originally, then the issue arose of what might happen if they let Moonkins go live as a carbon-copy and thus broke copyright laws, so alterations were made. They even joke about these alterations in game:

Part owl, part bear… and part stag, which handily avoids potential lawsuits.

Source: Ragepeep’s flavortext from the collector’s journal.

Now, if Blizz openly publicized that they borrowed from Tolkien, and someone’s legal team decided to take a look at, for example, Silvermoon City… Yeah, they may be considered legally distinct enough to not have to worry about it, but why would Blizz want to risk that issue arising in the first place? It’s a lot easier and safer for them to never directly, publicly address this fact.

It doesn’t mean they magically pulled these very Tolkien-esque ideas out by coincidence.

3 Likes

Remember when Blizz did lore explaining for why humans have more skin types than white? Yeah… it’s not always good on that end.

But sometimes it is good, like tauren and An’she.

I’d say it takes someone who is uneducated, unread, and ignorant to be able to ignore the culture, history, literature, and yes, political nature that the game takes inspiration from, to not just ignore it, but declare that it doesn’t exist. But then again that’s asking too much out of a troll with nothing better to do than cause a ruckus on their 46th alt.

2 Likes

Careful! Blizzard might have to publicly acknowledge they took inspiration for Tauren from the Greek! :dracthyr_uwahh_animated:

1 Like

And don’t tell them about how the arrakoa are Skeksis directly out of Jim Henson and Frank Oz’s Dark Crystal

3 Likes

“I dont like that you can use an argument i dislike so im gonna ignore it.”

Options dont harm you.

Which was stolen from DND’s Aarakocra.

1 Like

I’m out of likes but I would like so many people!

3 Likes

Is Thorm also inspired by the Greek?

His Elves were different than what the folklore he borrowed them from were. Elves there were small, diminutive creatures from Norse lore. He took them, and made them tall and elegant. Made them look completely different. They were more like how fairies are seen now.

4 Likes