Exclude the twinks from normal que if this change goes through

I will assist you on your noble quest if you join me on my war on “plushies” and “goodie bags.”

1 Like

So, what your saying is to continue selling these exp runs, we just need to group up with 3 other people then hop into lfg

Falls under fun detected fun nerfed

I never said that the expansion were ever exactly the same amount of days.

I don’t think any expansions were ever the same length if time.

That being said, if wish to believe 120 boosts are about to be released go right ahead, if that makes you feel better.

So just so we’re 100% clear, you’re doing this to kill the 110/111 twinks who are boosting via island expeditions or dungeon runs in exchange for gold, right? Simply because you want people to level up in current content “the proper way”, as in instead of hitting 120 in ~2.5 hrs, you want them to level up from 110-120 in ~10-15 hrs (assuming no heirlooms, etc.), thus increasing time /played hoping to keep them subbed longer.

And completely ignoring the fact that people who make the 110/111 twinks grind for weeks, if not MONTHS, to get the best gear that they can to boost players. And the players who want to be boosted also need to spend A LOT OF TIME playing to grind out that gold needed for the island boost, or even going as far as to PAY $20 REAL LIFE DOLLARS OR MORE for the gold, just to boost a SINGLE character to 120, so they can continue to play the game with a class or race they clearly felt was worth the investment to get up to 120 quickly.

So clearly people spend either 1. a lot of time playing the game to even do the boost or 2. real money to buy the wow tokens needed for LEGAL RWM GOLD TRADES to do the boost. And by killing the twink level boosts, you’re now actually actively giving those twinks who sink a lot of time in to making them zero reason to keep playing, thus costing you subs, and giving people who wanted to spend the time or money on the game to grind the gold needed for those boosts a reason not to play as well. Because clearly, if they WANTED to level up an alt the proper way, they would be doing it that way. So clearly something is wrong with how you’re designing your content if people are actively going out of their way to avoid doing it. It’s literally the same reason why people are mad that you keep forcing pathfinder. If the content is WORTH doing, people would be doing it the intended way.

Don’t punish people just because you refuse to fix the problem at the source, or just be up front with us and tell us that you’re killing twinks for BfA because you’re going to be selling a $60 boost up to 120, and you can’t sell said boost when you can find an in game alternative to it that could potentially be free of charge (minus your monthly sub fee) based off of how much time you play the game.

C’mon, you have to explain your logic here. By refusing a proper explanation, it’s only making things worse for everyone. Most of us here are adults. We want an honest answer, even if we won’t like it or agree with it. It says and does wonders for the company when you’re up front and honest with these changes, not trying to slip them in unnoticed because you’re afraid of the backlash, which you’re now getting to an even worse degree.

10 Likes

What initial announcement?
This is the first, and only, time a Blue post on the topic has ever been made.

Fansites didn’t even pick up that this was part of 8.2 until after it was marked as a release candidate. Personally, I have no idea at what stage this change was put onto the PTR. But they sure as heck haven’t discussed it before in any official capacity.

Unless your referring to this completely unadulterated :rofl: fest.

That they quickly walked back because it was extremely obvious to everyone involved how hair brained the idea was.

The Dev team is far to busy playing “Ant farm” with their players instead of designing fun and engaging content for them to experience.

They’ve done this far too much for my liking lately. Changes made, not for the sake of improving the game, but with the aim of modify player behavior to be more in line with how the Dev team wants players to behave.

Their basically telling people with this change. “You’re playing the game wrong.”
Even when these players aren’t breaking any rules and have done nothing outside the bounds of what the designers created.

Remember the Pandaren, Doubleagent?
Leveled to max without leaving the Pandaren starting zone and without choosing a faction using Gathering.

That panda has been hitting max level while remaining neutral for years now.
Other players have copied them and attempted to do the same.
Should we be expecting some change to address this unintended method of leveling as well? Some change to correct these players, “playing the game wrong”?

My bet’s that they don’t care because its a rather slow method of leveling and doesn’t make the 120 boost that will appear in the shop within the next ~6 months less appealing to purchase.

Give a twinked DH gold that amounts to less than $20 or spend $60 on a Blizz provided boost… This just seems more and more like Blizz trying to clear the way for their next boost. Making this change, now, early enough so that players forget this whole series of events by the time it shows up in the shop. Because most have the attention span of a goldfish.

10 Likes

This “fix” is a pre-emptive change to start having 120 boosts in the cash shop and a poor attempt to bandage design flaws from the stat squish and changes made to mob/lvl scaling that has been an issue from the start of BFA that has made the leveling process a complete and utter slog for alt characters. This is where the efforts should be spent.
If they were really concerned with so called “exploits” that affect the way that the game “should” be enjoyed then steps would also be taken to eliminate M+, PVP, AotC, etc runs for gold.
They also wouldn’t allow guilds shooting for world first kills to manipulate server transferring characters to buy out high level gear on multiple realm auction houses in order to gear alt characters just to get around the crappy master loot change they implemented. I’m sure that this was not intended game play. BUT WAIT, that’s all through the cash shop too and made them a ton of money so its ok… Starting to see the pattern?

4 Likes

What you really mean to say is… “We detected players finding unique ways to have fun in an otherwise WOD 2.0 experience, and made the decision to curb that because we can.”

5 Likes

Yeah, well I have 45 accounts and if they don’t go live with this change I’ll cancel all but 1!

That’s quite possibly the stupidest response you could have given to my comment. Congratulations on being that person.

2 Likes

What impact did allowing players who discovered this method of leveling have on the game? If people desire to put the time into a character to do this, and its not affecting balance, the economy, or giving anyone an unfair advantage, what exactly was the reasoning for this aura? Using this leveling method over doing quests is no different than someone riding around on a mount that costs 5 million gold.

I thought that sort of level boost would only come out once the level cap went up during the next expansion.

What information do you have that it doesn’t follow that precedent?

On the one hand I tend to feel that it does give players an advantage over others because many of the “others” don’t have the kind of gold needed to do that. Its a bit like some dude getting to the front of the line at a nightclub because he can tip the bouncer with a couple of big notes.

However, I feel if they are going to do that, they should do it to every activity that lets people pay to do things they don’t want to, or can’t, do themselves. Mythic+, raid carries, they don’t seem concerned about those, which give people access to gear and mounts and achievements that would take a fair bit more effort to get. I’d like to see a level playing field achieved here.

1 Like

I don’t approve this change. Stop being greedy.

it sure is

don’t twink

As I said, “a shred of common sense”, so…

The smart people figured that they would not create a system that could be easily griefed, i.e. the doom-and-gloom scenarios of an XP-off person joining RDFs are screwing 4 other people.

Yes, I do. IMO that was a harmless curiosity that as I recall, even the devs were entertained by. That char had no bearing on and could not interact wit the outside world.

Hello. Can people explain what the issue is I"m not sure I understand what people are talking about? What happens when an “xp-off” person in a group joins a dungeon finder group that DOES NOT happen when a solo person with xp-off joins a dungeon finder group? Thanks for any info.

The only way you’d be affected by the XP-Off’s debuff is if you grouped with them and you both entered an IE or a dungeon.

The same Dev Team responsible for G’huun LFR? You have a blind faith they won’t create a system that could be easily griefed.
Astounding confidence.

In case you need a reminder, before 8.1 you could queue up for Islands with a friend > run the island > kick the 3rd member seconds before completion with just your two votes > both you and your friend get better loot.

Yeah, when you see a party wide buff with the text

You automatically assume a caveat, of this never before seen buff, was that it only applied in pre-made groups.

hmmm, thought. If this doesn’t apply through groups formed by the LFD can’t the booster just attempt to queue into the same LFD as their buyer, kick the unwanted members through majority, and run the boosted run as they have now without penalty?

You are paying $675 a month to play wow?

Really?

You could drive a pretty nice car with that…