Evoker Tank - Fortification

Dracthyr Evokers are not dragons in full. They were designed, from the ground up, to fulfill a draconic caster role.

I’m all for having playable Drakonids with access to tank classes. But Evokers just aren’t appropriate for the role. It’s like those people that were demanding that Demon Hunters get a healing or caster spec: it’s just not a part of the fantasy that is covered by the class. That doesn’t mean that the overall thematic is inappropriate to the role: only that the specific implementation is.

Dracthyr Evokers not being appropriate as tanks does not mean that dragons of any sort would not be appropriate as tanks.

2 Likes

Yeah, no, bad idea. Kite tanks won’t work with this kind of game, otherwise every caster would be doing that and melee tanks wouldn’t be brought into the game.

ok fair, let me rephrase, why do you specifically believe that evokers should not or cannot be tanks? You say they aren’t appropriate but that’s not reasoning, that’s just a stand alone statement. We are not discussing a future class 3 xpacs from now, we are discussing adding a 3rd spec to a new class that we know we are getting this next xpac. Here is some more examples, Evokers should tank because…
There are no caster themed tanks in the game and will introduce an new niche and playstyle
There are no mail tanks in the game
It gives lust to a role that does not provide it; further helping out forming groups for M+
There are no intellect based tanks in the game
It thematically makes sense for a dragonoid creature artificially made or not to destroy enemy defenses and pester crowds of enemies flying back and forth through them

2 Likes

Like a Monk you mean?

Actually you will be able to breath fire and tail sweep… Also there is still soar. All are racials and not part of Evoker. Yes evoker will utilize them better but in the end they are racials.

Why would you need hover?

Dracthyr evoker are no full dragons…
They walk upright and expose the weak/soft belly.
They can’t transform into a dragon form.

And as said before fire breath and tail sweep are racial abilities.

Also Monks can breath fire… Sweep the enemy, attack with claws (ok fists)

So Dracthyr monk would be a great addition.

2 Likes

did you miss my last part and half quote me, because you will be in mele and ou will need some skill to deal with that as you fly back and forth through mobs. Or it could be as simple as channeling disintegrate pushes enemies back a little and causes a frontal absorb shield to mitigate some damage. Think big, might be hard but there are various options already designed or that can be designed to make it work, instead some peopl, cough cough, just say it wont work

1 Like

Because they aren’t. That’s really all there is to it.

They were not designed for this role. They were specifically conceived to not tank.

You may as well be upset that Priests can’t tank, even though we see Light-based characters tanking. While it is certainly true that we see Light-based characters in a tanking role elsewhere, it just isn’t appropriate for Priests. Priests tanking would be missing the point of being a Priest. The solution for wanting a Light-based tank isn’t to contort the Priest concept to make it fit a new role. It is to add an alternative that fulfills that Light-based tanking fantasy.

Just as the desire for a draconic tank is legitimate, but the assertion that an Evoker tank is the solution to that desire is not.

You can already do this. In the DPS role.

Any dragon baised tank/melee fantasy can already be covered with existing classes.

Axe and shield using dragonkin? warrior, paladin

Claw/ kicks and sweeps? monks.

Even death knights can cover the spear using dragonkin as a tank fantasy.

There is no need nor reason for the evoker (aspect powered dragon class) to provide those roles.

Heck, we could even give them druidism (which is normally associated with the green flight) for bear bites and claws. Just make their bear form look draconic.

Nope, because you’d be moving around allot you’d be kiting the mobs more so then other tanks. If tanking was that easy to just kite the boss everywhere, we won’t need tanks at all.

ok they arent full dragons, still more durable than a gnome or goblin or panda or a monk; all of which can tank. also where do you see fire breath as a racial? they only have 3, soar the knock back and the knock up. As an evoker tank though you would utilize hover the same way a DH uses leap to close distance and since you are a caster tank you can cast while moving and kiting if needed.

But instead for some reason the earth warden made this race of dragonoid creatures to be monks that in lore practice peace and tranquility…wrong fantasy bud, your logic is flawed

not gona even entertain your first part since you think a dragon should bite like a bear instead of a dragon, but for this other part you think they would kite all the time, do DH or monks kite all the time? flimisiest armor but spells and passives were added in to make it work, you cant wrap your head around the fact that there are possible abilities that would make evoker effective caster based tanks. Which btw some of those abilities are already designed either by blizzard or by fans. there is literally a whole talent tree already made for tanking evokers with various iterations.

a bite is a bite. Doesn’t matter where it’s from lol.

They don’t have movement biased attacks designed to be apart of their rotation like dracthyr does and are not designed to be ranged classes, they are both primarily melee. You don’t see them going everywhere to fight, thus they don’t kite the mobs in to players and making cleaves and other melee boss AoE’s unpredictable. Again, both tank specs is designed to fight only in melee with gap closers. If monks had to use that flying kick move of theirs to keep threat, maybe you’d have an argument, but they don’t.

They are also not what you recommend as a “mid range tank” which cannot function in this kind of game.

And adding melee skills to evoker’s would require a total rework of the evoker tool-kit at the base level anyways, which hurts that caster parts of the class.

This is just the mechanics part, dracthyr is basically gonna be WoW’s red mage, constantly moving throughout the battle feild if you still don’t understand that.

ok?

Are they ranged classes?

no.

are they designed to move while tanking or are considered “mid range tanks”?

no.

ok then.

I think you again missed the part where being a mid range caster tank does not necessarily mean you have to be standing at mid range to tank. It would be a completely different play style than the tank currently in the game but if u think good tanks never have to kite o boi o boi. And actually the do have attacks which they can cast while moving thanks to hover with 2 charges, so the skill cap would be using that when needed then planting and casting. Also brewmasters dont have flying serpent kick, thats only for ww but they do have chi burst and chi wave which are ranged abilities that they utilize.

Sounds like DH always bouncing back and forth in and out of mobs with ranged abilities as well.

Yes it will take some work, but its not a total rework, again its as simple as enhancing the current spells to fit the spec like other class’s abilities that change or function differently from spec to spec. And again there already is a foundation, look it up. There is a whole excel sheet with tanking tree talent and different itterations as well as spells from black dragons, bronze dragons, red dragon, green dragons, and blue dragons. Its literally already there.

arguments null and void, kapeesh?

Nah. Plenty of tanks and Shaman tried for years to get a tank spec using similar arguments. Plus we done need another melee spec.

Personally I’d like if evoker would get that playstyle. I mean they have a magical claw attack :smiley:

1 Like

did you read anything because no one said its a mele class? and if you think there are more than enough tanks in the game then why do tanks have the least specs per role than any other role (this is counting preservation and devastation). Also shamans already have 3 specs with wwell definied fantasies and unique play styles, why yall are ok with blizzard making new classes with only 2 specs as the new norm is beyond my ability to understand.

A tank is melee class.

Oh and shortage of tanks is a community problem. Adding more wont fix the abuse tanks get.

1 Like

How naive to think that and to think adding a new playstyle to the game is not possible, think survival hunter. Hunter means ranged right? And thats after more than a decade of it being ranged

please elaborate your arguments that there should be a tanking spec…
Everything you said so far war your personal thoughts.
I have yet to see any argument that convinces me to add Evoker Tanks.
Again player sense and Lore sense are very different.

As far As I read you want them in melee. you want them to still cast stuff (which will be hard in Melee). you want them breathing fire, claw attacks and sweep.

As Far As I see all of that can be done by a Monk. they might not be able to hover but you said hover can be used as engage tool, Chi-torpedo can do that.

you think evokers cant tank because they have soft under bellies and therefore cant thematically tank while also saying you would rather be a monk dracthyr tank. You are not someone I am trying to convince as much as I am retorting each of your far fetched ideas with flawed logic. Across 3 threads I have listed over 20 supporting arguments as well as debunked claims that it wouldnt work or doesn’t fit the fantasy, feel free to read them.

Your hostile posts and replies to all the people in here are sure going to win over a lot of folks.

I’m not the condescending… individual in here taking every opportunity to talk down to every person who does not think its a good idea or who disagrees with you. You should check your tone in what you have said to anyone in here who disagrees.

The idea or an alternate type of tank has been presented before. Ranged tank, that uses a tinker or bot to take the damage instead or rotating buffs or totems to isolate mobs. I’m not saying it can’t be done but that I don’t think it fits or will work.

The survival change was wrong too. They had to make the spec brokenly OP for people to play it.

I simply do not agree with what was presented in any way shape or form.

On that note though, I’m out. Good luck to the rest of you in dealing with Trap.

In vanilla vanilla, all the marketing was implying this to be true. Shaman was effectively the horde’s “magic tank” to match the alliance’s Paladin.
/recedes back into the bushes
edit: they tried for a minute but it never actually worked, and they finally just gave the horde paladins a few years later.