Evoker Tank - Fortification

No it isn’t. There is such a massive tank glut already once you get behind trivial content and trying to force yet another tank spec isn’t going to make your queues for trivial content any faster. Balance in this game is already pretty meh and with an ever increasing focus on said balance and a community so dead set on the “if it isn’t best, it’s the worst” viewpoint, adding another to the mix, even assuming you can build a unique tanking spec that doesn’t just rip off any of the existing tanks and thus invalidate them on principal, is literally just harming the game.

Plus any tank spec is defacto going to come with a melee DPS spec too and this game is already WAY too overplayed with tanks and melee players. Quite frankly, I’m glad evokers are sticking to healer and caster DPS only and I hope they get tuned so brokenly good and are so fun to play that it causes scores of players to main them. Casters are FAR overdue for a radical overhaul of the caster playstyle and evoker, I see, is the foundation for that.

2 Likes

Uh…

Truly, a great demonstration of:

:joy:

It was a mistake in Legion and it will be a mistake in DF as well… DH should have had a ranged DPS spec… and Evoker should have a Melee Tank spec…

4 Likes

There actually isn’t one… adding more tank AND healer specs CAN infact reduce queues times for trivial content. More options is always good. Your argument is that giving more options for the least played roles will make things slower? Wrong… and if you think DPS is hard to find in top end content, no… they are easy to find, you and other elitists are just too picky. As a Tank or Healer you can always find a spot on a team in LFG for any content quick and easy… these specs are in demand for all group content. As for why you don’t see guilds recruiting tanks or healers though, that is a different story. Guilds almost always have someone within their ranks who is already a good tank or healer. It has been a long standing practice for guilds since the early days of MMOs to always recruit Tanks and Healers from within… you look for DPS, you let them prove themselves, and then when you need a new Tank or Healer you look to your existing members first. It’s not that guilds don’t need tanks and healers, it’s that they rarely recruit dedicated ones from outside the guild. If you want into a big guild as a dedicated tank or healer, then you have to make a big impression on them, apply at just the right time, or bite the bullet and just start as a DPS.

Yes balance is a problem…one that is honestly pretty easy to fix… the biggest problem in regards to balance is Blizzard’s insistence on rebuilding every class from the ground up every expansion and then ignoring the playerbase about balance issues in alpha and beta until it’s too late to make big changes… the fix is to stop redesigning every spec every expansion and to actually take the players who are testing in alpha and beta seriously about their balance concerns. Not redesigning everything all the time gives more time to actually focus on what needs adjusted and how which will inherently lead to better balance. The game was far more balanced in the earlier years because classes hardly changed between vanilla and WotLK… MoP brought the first major class overhauls and the ultimate end of balance.
As for the playerbase mentality… that attitude will never change if more options are never given… as more new options are given that challenge that mentality it will slowly change over time… as balance improves it that mentality will diminish as well…

Oh, just because every tank spec so far has been attached to classes with melee DPS specs you think they can’t ever add a tank spec without a new melee DPS too? How naive of you. Evoker is a prime example of a class where a tank spec makes sense but a melee DPS does not… do you know what other class fits that as well? Warlock! Warlock has the potential to have a Tank spec but wouldn’t make sense to have a melee DPS spec… a melee DPS warlock would just be a Demon Hunter, but a Tank Warlock CAN be very different from a Demon Hunter…

6 Likes

your opinion isn’t right or accurate, if you take all the specs in the game tanks are the least represented. Also tank “shortage” is another subject entirely because that has nothing to do with class design but rather encounter designs which doesn’t leave room on teams for multiple tanks who want to actively play more. Actually it may have something to do with design and more players would play a caster based mid range tank.

If you dont want to tank play the other specs and keep your opinion to yourself, no one is trying to take anything away from you so why are you trying to dismiss someone else’s idea or suggestions to make this game better and more fun for those who do want something?

Evoker should definitely have a Tank spec added! It is such a missed opportunity for Blizzard not to do so. For every reason I read against evoker tanks there are at least 3 counter points that are valid for why they should tank. Personally I feel like thematically a Dragon should be able to get up in your face and tank, this coupled with some of their animations really has me wanting to tank with one as a player who primarily plays dps. It would also give lust to the tank role which is currently not in the game and help that much more in group comps for M+. Finally a full time caster tank has been a much wanted fantasy in WoW since Gruul, Blizzard this is your chance to give us an amazing intellect tank. I honestly dont think i could have come up with a better spec to be a caster tank than a mid range evoker. It fits. It works. Its unique. Its awesome. Its fun. Its new. And most importantly of all its us raising Blizzards bar of releasing new classes with only 2 specs, like for real we get a new class every what 4-6 years? Go all out and make it be able to do everything who cares if everyone wants to play it? hype will die down, people will reroll, tuning will be done. The problem is the idiots who have no clue what they are actually arguing and tried to muffle the noise we tried making when Blizzard gave us DH with only 2 specs. That should of never happened and still needs to get fixed and therefore not a valid argument to dismiss giving evokers a third spec and have that spec be a tanking one

I actually agree with him at the moment.

Every class that had been released since wrath had a tank spec.

Let there be a new class without it for a change.

What needs to be done though is open the race to more classes to compensate.

1 Like

that is nice and hostile. It’s been over a month since i posted this but let me reiterate

My opinions on why I don’t want to deal with evoker tanks are no less valid than your own trying to justify them

1 Like

If they really wanted, DK could have been a 2 spec class…

Hero classes should differ from normal classes.

Also we already got 2 tanking hero classes why do we need a 3rd…

There are 6 specs on 6 classes that can tank.
There are 6 specs on 5 classes that can heal.
There are 9 specs on 5 classes that are caster.
There are 13 specs on 9 classes that are melee.
And there is hunter… With 2 physical range specs. (Counted survival under melee)

Where exactly is tank the least represented?

Not going to answer that question, because it is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter how many tanking hero classes we already have. What matters is what makes sense for the class, and what makes sense for Evoker is Heal/Caster/Tank.

4 Likes

What makes sense to players and what makes sense in the lore are 2 very different topics…

Btw why does it make sense?
Just because they are dragons? Well they aren’t at least no full dragons.
They are an experiment …

In the end it come to the big question if the race shouldn’t be opened to other classes.

Afaik blizz said they are looking into it and it might happen later on.

Here is the thing though my friend, most people that invisions a dragonkin tank imagines them in heavy armor with a sheild and a weapon…

and what class already have that? Warrior.

They need to open up classes to dracthyr, not add another spec to an evoker.

1 Like

… how? It was literally just created with no existing precedent explicitly and solely designed as a ranged DPS/healer. They overtly said if they add another spec, it will be ranged DPS or heals. Tanking does not factor in at all.

2 Likes

To unashamedly hawk my own thread again, this is the solution that will appease the most people:

Dragon tanks? Check.
Bulky playable dragons? Check.
Dragons with sexual dimorphism? Check.

The only people that this won’t appeal to are those that are hyper-focused in on having Evokers and/or Dracthyr tank for some undiscernible reason, even if the draconic tank fantasy can still be fulfilled in another way.

Moreover, this would also ensure that Dracthyr nor Evokers are contorted into something that they were never intended to be. Whether or not you enjoy their implementation, they do have a clear identity and vision. Inflating them to Drakonid proportions or making them facetank like an overeager Mage would compromise that.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen anyone say a word about needing them to be in heavy armor… And a Mail armor Tank would be good… and shield? Only 2 of our 6 tank specs use shields, clearly a shield is not required for tanking. Weapon? Sure they could use a weapon, or… they can play into the DRAGON aspect and use claws, teeth, tail, and fire. You know THE THINGS PEOPLE HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN ASKING FOR.

1 Like

2 Likes

Evoker’s currently do not carry sheilds.
As for mail armor tanks, if that ever would be a thing, it should be on a class that can be more races, not just on the dragon class.

Each tank used to have a niche, also when ever you see a dragon tank, or fighting in melee, they are always accompanied with a shield. It’s part of the fantasy.

Ok, so unlock monks for them then.

You don’t speak for everyone. Not everyone is asking for that.

2 Likes

all hero class means is you start at a higher level so i dont get your fixation with hero classes only needing 2 roles in every thread you are in. We also got 2 hero tank classes because when DKs came out there was an extreme tank depravity and when DH came out it was a fitting role (and i still argue they should have gotten a 3rd range spec or a 2nd tank/mele spec). Like literally there is no difference between a hero class and any other class other than it starts at a higher level and usually requires a max level character on that account when they first launch. Also to invalidate your other point, when you add evoker as is then tanks move to the bottom of the list in terms of ratio of specs for that role, the only thing you are actually right about is that mele have the most specs per role and you also fail to address that there is a hybrid healer that bases its healing on damage done which is a unique playstyle and fantasy. And really you think MM is not a caster? because last i checked about 80% of their damage comes from a 2 sec long cast, sure it does physical damage but they still have to stand still and cast like every other caster. Not to mention arcane shot is “magic” damage.

Frara your arguments would be valid if the discussion was about removing one of the specs evokers get for a tanking spec, but in reality thats not what we are discussing. YOU dont want evoker tanks but offer 0 valid reasoning for why they shouldn’t be able to tank, especially as a new niche tank being a mid range caster. You agree Dracthyr should be able to tank but not evoker and your only argument is because blizzard wants them to be caster. Can you breathe fire as a dracthyr prot war? can you hover as a dracthyr prot pally instead of charging in on your pony? not the same is it

He never said he speaks for every one but he is right that a significant sample of the player base IS asking for it

Evoker tank would be fulfilling a brand new niche not currently offered by any other tank, that is a mid range caster tank (doesnt mean you have to be at range to cast and tank but you ccould pump threat at range as well as control mobs). Also what fantasy land do you live in, because dragons dont need shields or swords to blast you as they fly in ans tail smash your face in.

1 Like

They don’t need to be tanks to do that, either.

So please share why evokers should not have a 3rd spec and have that 3rd spec be a tank. You dont need to be resto shaman to cast healing surge so remove resto shaman (this is your logic)? Please give a valid specific argument. Ill help you out a little, dragons do not fit a tank fantasy because…

So far the only valid argument i have come across that goes against evoker tanks is that competitive top tanks would need to level and maintain 7 tanks for prog incase its the meta. Everything else is literal nonsense or someone wanting to play a different class as a dragon which is not the discussion or topic at hand.

3 Likes