Everyone says they want more abilities but

Yeah… but the best healing spec for raiding wasn’t a viable farming spec in Vanilla, either.

You could do those activities, but if we’re going with the clearly most optimal choices, each activity technically had an optimal spec for it. For every class. For every activity.

I’d rather be able to play something 5-15% worse that felt more flavorful or because I liked the specific talents better if I want to, than forced to be incapable of making “bad choices”.

3 Likes

like i said in the first place people will always play the meta they will always pick the best 5 abilities.

because you don’t use all of them 24/7, they are worthless

Don’t eat glue, kids.

15 Likes

Man, reading this reminds me of just how much I miss this element of gameplay…

3 Likes

You’d be surprised how often I chose talents that were not recommended because my character was not cutting edge and sometimes the best options weren’t the best for me. I also used PvP abilities in PvE sometimes, and had many keybinds for specific situations especially in PvP.

5 Likes

I just want GotW back =(

That’s funny, creative players actively broke talents by creating op specs regularly, Blizzard had to nerf them. So, everyone didn’t just have to fill out the template the same.

The idea seems to be, that part of the fun of talent trees was being able to pick and choose as you leveled. Choosing the best situational talents from each row could really make a difference as you journeyed toward max level. It’s not all about the end game “template”.

Of course, the game in general wasn’t all about max level back then either. Probably part of the reason why it is now, the leveling process has been streamlined to death.

4 Likes

Deep freeze, blazing speed, cone of cold for non-frost, presence of mind…

2 Likes

And Arcane Explosion for fire and frost, because sometimes all you need is a dumb spammable AoE.

4 Likes

Players who don’t master their class, use 5 abilities. Yep.

7 Likes

Scuze me…I am happy with the pruning.

2 Likes

You’re a mage, what’s wrong with you?

6 Likes

THe problem is that a lot of this isn’t mutually exclusive. X ability doesn’t need to come back by itself, it needs to come back with the 3 or 4 supporting talents / passives that bolstered it.

Talent trees were highly streamlined, and everyone picked the same builds, but those builds aren’t properly represented by the current class designs. When people want to go back to the “old” or “better” class designs of the past, it’s not just ability bloat, as you’ve mentioned. But it does raise the question “what is class design.” “what do the players actually miss.”

With ability bloat, I definitely miss all of the old, rarely used spells, that I only ever used in a situation that required them. I’m a PvP player, so that situation was every few minutes or so, even for the most under-used ability.

What talent trees offered wasn’t just the illusion of choice, but through following them, a more soundly designed class.

Remember, blizzard hasn’t just been pruning spells and abilities. They’ve been pruning passives, buffs, procs, and other effects from classes, as well as dividing them amongst talent rows to create the illusion of choice, when in reality we actually had all 3 of those abilities and it was never an issue (looking at you, warlock portal, coil, shadofury row.)

There are people in this thread complaining that abilities existed “but you were never spamming them.” but that’s kind of the point. Not every single button in the game needs to be hit every fight. Not every single button needs to be SPAMMED.

See I didn’t find this frustrating. I played more than just dungeons and raids though, so I actually got to make frequent use of my other spells. In the PvP part of the game, you could tell who the bad players were by how poorly they implemented the full use of their available toolkit.

The old talent system isn’t necessarily what this game needs to fix it. but what we do need is some of the old structure that the talent trees gave us the illusion that we picked it ourselves.

4 Likes

players that want to do any end game content will use the same meta abilities they do now look at every m+10 what ever class and spec they are running the same meta every single one of them.

haha…I’m doing ok, tyvm.
:kissing_heart:

1 Like

Yes,bc there is zero choice or creativity in the current talent system. You’re a broken record man…see ya.

5 Likes

Mage armour, Molten Armour, Ice Armour. Frost Ward, Fire Ward, Ice Lance for all 3 specs, Mana Shield… the list goes on.

4 Likes

Mage and Rogue easily got hit the hardest.

Removing poisons and disarm traps was probably the most ridiculous thing they’ve ever done.

5 Likes

How did we forget how to gouge on 2/3 of the specs? Apparently during all of that time we also got old and tired cause feint now costs a lot more energy. Gimme my prune juice, my memory and ability to perform certain actions are gone. What are poisons? I am on old ninja that forget certain things but I sure can Garrote unlike those subs or outlaws. hehe.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget the flawless logic of nerfing deep freeze because polymorph was OP, thereby ensuring it would be used just for polymorphing before being removed.

5 Likes