Everyone says they want more abilities but

So on the issue of class design. This is how I feel.

Given the obvious BFA / Legion class design being an amalgamation of war mode / gear / talent / base versus how it used to be all in the base we can see a clear winner.

It was better when it was all in the base. Why? For a few reasons.

Pacing
The way gear impacts your play style needs to be incremental. It can’t be you hit 120 and then have to grind 3 set pieces with a specific array of azerite traits before you can say you aren’t trash. The older expansions did a much better job of restraining the impact gear had on play style. Basically introducing a slightly better mode of play in a trinket at the very end of the game while the prior build was very useful up to that point.

Player Agency
People ultimately want to choose how to make their character more powerful. The way azerite gear works makes this impossible. Because most of the traits are generic and static you basically stack the 3 most favorable to your spec. All the rest is fluff. In comparison to regular gear with stat affixes you desired, the old system was better. It allowed you to choose pieces from the world that best fit your stat agenda, without locking you into a specific set of traits. Again the garbage versus non garbage issue. Choose the wrong azerite traits and you’re garbage.

Determinism
Because the old gear style worked on a non-RNG basis you could plan out your upgrades while playing the game and they became important markers in your journey. You had things to look forward to. In BFA you BIS by spinning the loot machine on an hourly basis to determine if you are a winner or not. That’s pretty crap for an RPG.

2 Likes

It seems that most of the anti-ability posts focus on the rotation. This is in itself an example of why class design is broken, from an MMORPG design standpoint, but to them seems fine as they are only viewing the game through the lens of damage/resist/heal in the current WoW where the game is more Diablo than MMORPG.

We will never agree as what MMORPG player’s want, a dynamic world, is of no interest to those who want a 3D lobby, aka Stormwind/Dalaran, and a series of maps to queue for, aka M+/Raid, with all the extraneous content removed.

To them fun and situational abilities are a waste as they train their muscle memory to the current best rotation, dictated by the meta gods, so they can feel like an elite gamer playing a game with less depth and complexity than most Nintendo titles.

3 Likes

For me, it isn’t so much the QUANTITY of abilities I have. It’s about how they interact with each other in a way that encourages Arcane Blast spam (or Arcane Explosion spam). It’s not fun gameplay. I have other damaging abilities, and other spells, but I rarely use them, because under most circumstances they’re a CLEAR dps loss.

It’s not so bad in group content, particularly dungeon and raid bosses, because there’s boss mechanics to think about, and several other things I can do that’ll help the group and prevent me from going insane. But whilst soloing open world content it’s just an endless Arcane Blast spam.

So no, I do not believe that it’s the LACK of abilities that’s the issue. I think it’s POOR DESIGN.

no you had certain abilities that required certain stances thats where stance dancing came from…lol.

You also gained modifiers based on your stance. Damage reduction in Prot, extra damage but increased damage taking in zerk, better rage in battle. Maybe you should not talk about classes you never played.

stance dancing is because abilities required certain stances am i missing something here???

Yes, and to control the flow of the fight. If you’re dying, you jump into prot and equip your sword and board. If you need to up your DPS you jump into Zerk. If you need to use a move, you switch to the stance that has the move. So yea, you’re missing something because you never played Warrior with stances so you never knew how much it added to the Warrior class.

not the point the point is its called stance dancing because certain abilities require certain stances right?

It’s called stance dancing because you switched stances to do what you needed to do.

Battle stance to open, rage generation, dump rage, prot to reduce AoE damage, back to battle to pump and dump, switch to zerk to execute, back to prot to reduce the AoE, back to zerk to execute, etc.

You were frequently changing your stance and it was more than just to use pummel. Again, stop talking about a class you never played. Your ignorance is showing.

1 Like

aka because certain abilities require certain stances you just wont admit it will you…lol…its ok.

Because stances provide certain benefits that you needed and you’re ignorance keeps failing to see that but you wont admit it will you… lol… its ok.

People like this are the reason the game is declining.

3 Likes

fyi you can just macro all the stances liki swifty does its not that hard…lmao.

people like you is why classes are always screwed up…lol.

Again, damage reduction, rage generation and damage increases are not macros. But you don’t understand cause you just watch videos and never played the class.

bro its 3 stances its not that hard…lol.

Lol stealth is only for ambush, just macro it bro.

here we go…lol.its all good bro.

lol I know rite? it’s just one button bro, why even be in the game? just make ambush and cheap shot not require stealth

In a arena meta where druids are the supreme overlords. Scarebeast would sure be appreciated. :sleepy:

i got one shot macros now on this rogue ill have them in classic as well the castsquence macros still work.if sub spec was good id be blowing people up in bgs.i still have all my old 1 shot macros…