EU Forums are apparently melting down

Perhaps.

I don’t think expecting others to make their own efforts to learn an international language if they want to enjoy international entertainment is an unreasonable thing to ask.

That said, don’t misunderstand me. I DO think they should add german and french (and probably spanish) servers, just so I don’t need to deal with people who refuse to show basic courtesy.

3 Likes

Then we are in agreement.
I actually also do think that those countries should put more emphasis on teaching their populations to speak English because having a “common” language so to say would be ideal globally.

I would also add at least Polish to that list.

2 Likes

I’ll put a different spin on this, and this coming from a 10 yr veteran of Eve Online where we are all one server. I’m in the largest group there, with people who do speak multiple languages, and all of us play together. I’m talking a group of players in what you would consider one “guild” of over 11K players, who often “raid and pvp” another “guild” using 2K to 4K players at a time, all online, and on voice comms, and from different countries/nationalities. The only issues I’ve seen crop up is occasionally with someone needing to get someone’s attention in Russian or Chinese, and usually there is someone who will cross-translate in our voice chat to tell those people (or usually someone specific) to do something. Most of the time, those groups of people if working with others, have their own person who translates.

But everyone else, from French to Germans to Polish, etc… who play… and those people who I have basically flown under (think them being a raid leader), while having an accent, I’ve understood them speaking English just fine. Some has been a bit rougher than others, but I’ve not found it to be an issue. In general in the video gaming world, Europeans playing games nearly all speak English well enough. In Eve, at the worst you see the typical accusations of either Chinese or Russian botting.

What you don’t see is what you guys are thinking of, namecalling or making fun of someone based on a nationality or something else. And this is in Eve, what most would deem a pretty harsh and sometimes toxic game, too hard core for many people. You will see people say to speak english in what amounts to “world defense” channels if someone says there is a group of enemies, yet all of it was in another language.

There will be some adjustment, and sure there will be a few bad apples out there who will make fun of anyone regardless of things. But for the most part I think people will end up learning to work together, or if there is a language issue, they will form guilds or discords to take care of that issue.

3 Likes

But its Not all on one server. That would be better. Its all language groups scattered across multiple Servers. So you have a watered down target audience for your guilds .

Let’s not drag multiculturalism into this. This is not that. This is about online communities and language.

1 Like

… Which is pretty much multiculturalism?

1 Like

Stubbornly only watching the things that are on TV, how dare they. Are you aware that many European countries dub nearly everything that’s available on TV and cinema? I love how this has basically descended into “get good”. Having a subject in school doesn’t magically make you good at it, either.

But you’re part of the EU block?!? What does language matter?

While a great and logical idea, sadly internet inflated egos would cause a popularity war. Everyone trying to make the “official-unofficial” list and no one settling on one.

Then, as you said, the hard part of disseminating that information in a way that everyone will see it.

But it is a good idea to try.

Let’s keep it civil everyone.

This is a “safe” zone.

Well. . ok, who am I kidding, we are on a wow forum, but still. . :stuck_out_tongue:

You run into it every now and then when pugging, even as someone who usually tries to avoid pugging in general… when they were still playing >.>

No that’s not correct at all. There is specifically no language or region assigned to any server except for the Russians. A player from the UK could level on a server that has no English speakers on it.

I understand and I agree. But the issue isn’t about understanding English or not. I work in an international company and I speak German, English and French quite fluently.

The issue is, my guildmates and I are planning to recreate our Vanilla RP-PvP guild that lived from 2005 to 2011 on a french realm. And to do so, we need to be able to meet like-minded players. Say English-speaking players make about 45% of the player base, German-speaking about 30% and french about 20% (the rest being other countries). That simply divide our recruitment pool by 5 if we are not on a french-only speaking server, and that’s before even accounting that we’re recruiting PvP players only… Because we’re already a 30-man core of french speaking players organized IRL events in France and there’s no point in recruiting people from Italy, Germany or UK because on our discord, everybody will be speaking french for coordination. Plus, I’m fluent in English, but it’s not the case for everyone - I can’t just dismiss the need for french or German realms just because I speak english, some people do not have had the luck to learn the way I did.

That’s my first point.

My second issue is that back in Vanilla, we had those freaking french localized servers and that accounted for about 50% of what I enjoyed in WoW : meeting people, building rivalries and organizing events. I honnestly cannot see myself organizing a RP-PvP campaign in english because… well I speak English decently but I certainly cannot write Roleplay stories and plots, so those will be in french. Without french realms, I am afraid I’d rather stick to a Pserver. Actually, there’s a very populous french Pserver for Vanilla and I might actually roll on and forget about Classic if Blizz doesn’t change their mind.

That was the point of view of someone from Switzerland.

9 Likes

English has always been taught, but not required. In the early 90s it became mandatory for new students when the EU was formed. That’s when it became ubiquitous.

granted.
but get far enough off the beaten track, and English isn’t a priority for a lot of people.
things may have changed since I was last walking the earth.

Why they so mad for? Don’t they all speak european anyways?

3 Likes

Wasn’t that just to make UK citizens more comfortable about surrendering their sovereignty to a over-reaching, sure to be corrupt, unchecked super-government?

It isn’t. Many places in Europe you’ll have more luck with French of German. people also pretend like having a classes in a language means you are in any way proficient at it, or comfortable using it as the primary language in a game. We all like to be understood, speaking shouldn’t have to be a struggle.

I’d really like to hear a response from Blizzard on this, whether they change their minds or not so we can see how doomed this experiment is going to be. We’re running out of time before August.

3 Likes

I’m guessing that’s sarcasm, because otherwise it’s horrible ignorance. Britain joined the EEC in 1973, and was a founding member of the EU in 1993. English was already a universal tongue thanks to its empire building.

The reasoning was just a way to take well deserved shots at the EU. Though who knows what their true motives were. Considering the EU as you mentioned was preceded by the EEC otherwise (and weirdly less popularly) known as Walter Funk’s 1941 Europaische Wirtschafts Gemeinschaft.

I guess when you get sentenced to prison for life for war crimes you get your credits removed from the history books. Though your papers outlining the method of economic conquest of Europe can stick around. Worked out well, gotta hand it to those Germans, they really know how to carry out a thing to its logical conclusion.