EU Forums are apparently melting down

Hey, we left all peaceful like…

We said “This colony here. Shame if anything were to happen with it. Care to part with it, for the price of ‘we won’t shank you’?”

1 Like

I mean, the whole point of an MMO is communication. If someone actively prevents you from being able to communicate with them because of their stubborn sense of nationalism (which really has no place in a game), then yeah, it’s pretty counterproductive and disrespectful.

2 Likes

To be clear, there are a lot of people who’ve been playing on German WOW Servers, who can’t speak English worth anything, and therefore its not “nationalism”, but literal inability to communicate.

Even if you type in ALL CAPS, THEY STILL CAN’T READ ENGLISH!

Just have classic WoW players throw money at Blizzard and I’d bet the devs would make separate English, French, German and Russian pve, pvp, rp, rp-pvp realms for classic WoW.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree it’s ridiculous that Blizzard doesn’t make at least one german and french server, at the very least.

But on the other hand, I’m pretty sure that English is basic education even in Germany.

1 Like

I mean, there are people who can’t or won’t learn to speak English to play a video game.

For anyone under the age of 30? Sure. I think you’ll find its a bit different for people born before the 90s.

I also find it interesting how the two threads I saw on Reddit discussing the topic were locked…One or both were locked for “bigotry and toxicity,” but I may have just read the same post twice. :stuck_out_tongue:

Feels bad, even though I’m not in the EU.

One could argue Ned Kelly class changed to a Paladin.

They were probably feeling the heat from Blizzard. lol

1 Like

you can go further back than the 90’s actually.
I did a lot of backpacking in the late 80’s - early 2000’s, and English was spoken well throughout all western Europe countries I went to.
however, get up into the alps/remote areas, and it wasn’t unusual for English to be almost non-existent.

2 Likes

This argument has no value.
Swedish is basic education here in Finland and I cannot handle even basic communication with it and I would certainly not play a game if I was forced to communicate in swedish.

1 Like

To further compound onto this argument, English is basic education here in the United States, and most people can’t even handle basic communication with it.

Also… Anteeksi. Yritän, mutta en puhu suomea.

1 Like

You must have a horrible time then since most media is in English.

1 Like

Since when not being able to communicate in Swedish has anything to do with most media being in English?
I personally don’t have issues with English as it is my second language.
But this is not the case for many other people here in Europe.

1 Like

I don’t even know why you bothered to bring it up.

Your personal issues with Swedish has nothing to do with the fact the vast majority of people grow up with English, are educated in it, and can communicate in it just fine.

To the point that I would argue the few that can’t have only themselves to blame for it - probably because they stubbornly only play or watch things in their own language.

3 Likes

This would be a valid argument if it was about getting employed in an international job for example.
But we are talking about entertainment here a thing people pay money for to relax on their free time. It is of course entirely in Blizzards right to not provide official servers for those who can’t properly communicate in English but that would be a poor decision as it would lead into the formation of unofficial ones by the players themselves.

And that would lead into English speaking players accidentally rolling on a unofficial German server for example which would be extremely frustrating.
What you don’t seem to get that forcing someone to use language they cannot use for whatever reason simply does not work.

It has nothing to do with whose “fault” it is, it’s just reality.

4 Likes

How do you know this? It’s taught in school, yes. So is Spanish taught here from the elementary school years (in my school district, anyway.) Can every non-Latino speak it, since this area of the country has a gigantic Spanish-speaking population and lots of Spanish media and businesses surrounding us everywhere?
No. In fact a lot of people, maybe most cannot speak it. It’s kind of shameful, IMO.

I’m not employed internationally.

Have never been abroad.

I speak English just fine.

Good for you, So do I.
That has nothing to do with other people not speaking English.
Saying that you yourself have no issue speaking English is a gross simplification of the subject at hand.

2 Likes