Enchanting Needs Attention

I am! Because I noticed how much dust I was not getting, lol, and no, it’s still absolutely ridiculous and not helping.

1 Like

There is an imbalance when it comes to the appearance of dust, likely because most crafted gear is blue, world quests tend to reward blue gear, and green item drops on their own aren’t enough.

However I will take this over DF enchanting where it would cost 20k to gain a single skill point because of how ridiculously expensive crystals were for a few weeks. That was also a problem in Shadowlands as well I think, but maybe not to the same degree.

Edit: Another thing besides adding a shatter, would be to have higher rarity items also drop or have a chance to drop lower level materials in addition to the main one.

1 Like

You say that now, but enchants being significantly more expensive for months isn’t a better solution imo.

Just adding shatter alone would fix these I have so much shards I dont need and cant use due to the lack of dust. it aint easy being a bust boi out here

1 Like

Some quick and easy/dirty solutions for enchanting’s woes:

1. Make it make sense. If the profession table gives us access to crafting orders, give us crafting order quests. Having to cough up 20 dust for the weekly quest is not helpful. We also can’t use finesse or perception, so why are we being treated as gatherers?
  2. Bring back shattering. Many of us are swimming in shards because, as mentioned, there’s a lot of blue gear running around. The only green gear I can make as a BS/LW is profession gear, which is cheap enough, but even most of these options can be cost-prohibitive right now for players without the ability to produce their own. Yes, this will even out as the expansion goes on, but unless the goal is to poor check anyone attempting to raid heroic/mythic early on, it’s still worth noting.
  3. Balance recipe dust requirements. If something requires 10 shards and a crystal, why does it also need 75 dust? The higher tier reagents are supposedly more powerful, so this just feels unnecessary. Shattering in Dragonflight took a crystal/shard and gave you three shards/dust. Using that formula, a crystal and 10 shards (eg Crystalline Radiance) is already using the equivalent of 39 dust. Why add 75 more on top of it?
  4. Disenchanting spec is a trap. Good job Blizzard, you got me. I dumped early points into Designated Disenchanter because of how pitiful my dusting yields were, but that investment has yet to pay off. Since enchanting uses crafting stats (hint: we’re not a gathering profession), we can’t enchant or stack finesse to increase our dust yields. The ratio of what we get via disenchanting to what’s required for enchants, especially when it comes to skilling up on higher tier recipes, is out of balance and is skewed against us.
  5. A vendor is unironically our best source of materials. The Waxy Globule vendor in Gundargaz is unironically the best method of collecting our most basic reagent. Even after the stealth nerf, it’s still a better use of our time to farm open world treasures to collect materials from a vendor that we should be able to collect from, well, farming those treasures. It’s one thing for a vendor to be a consistent source of higher tier materials early on, it’s another to treat a basic reagent as some premium commodity.
4 Likes

I was so mad about the stealth nerf it was my only reliable way to get dust

Dust being required in such quantities and for other professions was flagged during beta, but they never did nor said anything about professions.

I am quite positive about the core changes they are attempting to do, but professions needed to cook for a lot more to reach the point they need to be at.

Enchanting will be so insanely costly, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone went full tinfoil conspiracy that it was build to force people to need tokens to afford their enchants :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

yeah once m+ /raid opens prices drop like a rock after 1 week ~

still the whole crafting is a mess not just enchanting

While this is a little hyperbolic, I agree that TWW professions feel almost hostile in how ludicrous the material costs for darn near everything are, and how you feel like you can’t make anything worthwhile without having spent 100+ points in your skill trees (a nearly impossiable task at the moment), and how the ratio of time/gold/mats to how useful the finished goods are is atrocious right now.

Tailoring patron orders have a couple that asks for 4x of each bolt (the CD ones). So either you spend 10k+ on the AH, or you wait 4 days of using CDs (if your specced in both).

170g for dust, 10g for “rare” shards lol

They just need to give us a shard breakdown thing like they had in the past, break down a shard and get X amount of dust, that’ll settle the prices nicely.

1 Like

That system sucked.

not my problem i just disenchant crap and throw it on the AH for the paypigs. only gathering profession you don’t have the gather for

I am ok with the crystals, disenchanting tailoring and blacksmithing over stock crafted items, but the dust is a bit hard to come by, so I have been paying a premium for dust.

People are not understanding.

Typically in expansions past enchants start off expensive due to the price of crystals then it decreases over time as epics become more available after raid/M+ opens.

What’s happening here is 90% of the cost of enchanting at the moment is tied to dust. So the raid/M+ opening is not going to cause enchanting prices to go down. If anything it will cause enchanting prices to go up because there will be sustainable demand for enchants. The current demand for storm dust is a small fraction of what the demand will be for gear enchanting, since each gear enchant requires 75 dust where as other profession recipes cost around 1-2 dust.

They need to either raise how much dust we can get from disenchanting or reduce the recipe requirements.

1 Like

Honestly, just allow us to break crystals down again. There is zero reason, now that they’ve done these changes to how enchanting materials drop.

Before, we would see a percent chance to fail DE’s of blues, causing them to break down into dust. This caused an excess of dust in the long term as people would get unlucky and get dust from everything.

Now, a blue piece always drops a Gleaming shard. No excess dust from mass milling. Combine this with all of the crafted profession gear this time starting out as blues, instead of greens, and now you have a dust economy almost entirely reliant on world drops.

They need to either:
A: Increase the dust per item
B: Allow some “runoff” dust to drop from DE’ing blues and purples
C: Allow us to sunder crystals to shards and shards to dust
or
D: Increase the drop-rate of green gear from the world content by 2-3 times the current level.

Otherwise, as you said, more than likely that prices will go up as soon as we get the raid and people need the higher quality enchants.

1 Like

Make an alchemist.

Transmute mycobloom.

It’s insane that I get more dust from this than normal people do from greens.

The issue is that there are no craftable green items - everything is rare or epic. This is the first time it’s ever happened like that and could be an oversight. ATM the only source of greens in the game is world quests and world drops.

1 Like

Profession equipment also works, but the cost to craft them at the moment is almost the same as the cost of the dust it creates in the first place.

The best way I’ve found is to collect globs of mud and trade them for dust from the kobold vendor.