Elune Cutscene Anxiety Thread

Sure? You still lose Orgrimmar, its entire population dies, the Horde’s army explodes, and there is no reward for suffering. The rights to retaliation and mention of this event as a pretext for attacks from the Horde are denied.

HM. I offered you something earlier. Do not remember?

Well, this depends on how one perceives the message indeed. Cause unfortunately for US players and readers, WE were the ones that assumed Elune / the Holy Light / etc. to be based upon a more abrahamic religion lenses, NOT over good ´ol politeist views (which usually portray these “Gods” under a more “humanized” lenses and yes, as oportunistic if not downright abusive a-holes). And aparently, we assumed wrongly, cause all these “Gods” and their servants are being developed firmly in the politeism way.

Under this paradigm, a more humanizing message is maybe a better choice to make. If the mortals are nothing but “tools” this these “lesser Gods” (remember they are a tier down from the First Ones), then maybe they don´t need to keep hoping to get rescued by them. Maybe it´s time for the mortals to take the reigns of their existence onto their own hands. Cause NOBODY is gonna come from the high heavens or the depths of hell to “save” them. They WILL have to do that by themselves just as they have been doing since the freaking RTS games… cause as JC said (no, not Jesus Christ but we could say he was an allegory in his story: Joseph Cooper) “They didn´t bringh us here at all. We brought ourselves.”. The races of Azeroth and their collective choices (both good and bad) brought themselves to the place they are RIGHT NOW. Ergo, they are the responsible individuals for both the successes AND the burdens. They need to own to BOTH of these things…

In an age with an irl Global Pandemic I don´t see the problem with this kind of message, cause nowadays the actions of each tiny human end up affecting the rest waaay more than some ethereal concept. We need to stop blaming “God” for our sins and pretending for him to come here to save us from our own screw ups. It is time we own to our own mistakes if we don´t want to self destruct.

Blood of the Highborne reinforces the concept the Light abandoned (or refused to hear their call) for some reason. Liadrin never wavered on her “faith” until she had to see her beloved foster father get ripped apart by zombies while he tried to protect her.

Man, is simply the fact she´s NOT the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent entity we players assumed she was, period. Ergo, why she suddenly seems more “incompetent”.

Narratively wise, the Nelves should start questioning quite seriously why should they bother with the likes of the WQ / Elune / insert rando lesse God instead of you know, achieving stuff by their own ways -I mean, at the end they always ended up achieving the stuff by themselves with barebones “moments” of support from Elune-.

1 Like

Which is why I mentioned the importance of the iteration of the stuff. Because Blood of the Highborne was released in 2014 afaia.

Retcons are strong indeed.

gl hf

It was originally written by TBC times, though… Neilson just got a little err… “hyped” and expanded the story too much.

That´s why we only got to see it until 2014 with the release of the Paragon book. But the story was written and conceived as far back as 2007, with some modifications done to it thanks to the canonization of Lor´s leader short story.

Are those retcons when WE were the ones to put Elune in the omnipotent pedestal? No seriously, canon wise the information related to her was always quite vague.

1 Like

Anyway, I’m not in an “uplifting” mood right now.
Should the Horde accept the consequences of being genocidal monsters rather than justify themselves as an evil leader?

HM. Warchief of the Horde ~ Goddess of the Night Elves. It’s funny.

Excuse me, why are you talking to me?

I´m aware you are nothing but a troll focused in elevating the NEFPA trope as much as Erevien focuses in elevating the “warmonger Hordie” trope, so respectfully don´t bother and go talk to someone who actually cares.

4 Likes

Yes.
Take Baine Bloodhoof too while you’re in Orgrimmar.

Because I remembered the “elevated” mood and my anxiety. My “best” condition.

Respectfully not to worry? What is it like?

In any case, will the people of the Horde accept that they are genocidal monsters who blindly trusted their “god”?

Ok dude, you persist in the troll behaviour, you get the proper fix to it.

Consider yourself ignored (as in I WILL silence your posts in the forums for my PoV) from now onwards. Don´t bother to respond, I´m not gonna see it.

In any case, why should the night elves accept the “age of mortals” on their own, while the rest (at least their enemies) maintain a “divine” mindset, albeit in the form of a “Warchief” on whom all their problems can be blamed?

I just told you. Tyrande being so powerful that Saurfang thinks Elune is the one messing with him. It’s a gigantic power fantasy moment for night elves.

4 Likes

Anxiety.

@Baalsamael, what in psychology / mythology / literature means the coming of the “age of mortals”?

I have an explanation for my concern, but I … I don’t know. I do not like? Am I afraid of him?

Please. Help.

1 Like

I want to loop back around to this because it’s the one thing that the Horde has demonstratably, quantifiably been screwed on compared to the Alliance, and is always ignored. Horde losses and Alliance crimes can be and are downplayed, but you can’t argue with math.

I keep hearing about how the Horde needs to lose Orgrimmar due to “balance” (wtf was UC then?), but no alliance players are lining up to throw their leaders and leading lore characters that they like into wood chippers to maintain this mythical balance that they want.

12 Likes

Nah, NEFPA are always willing to offer up Anduin or Genn. But you’ll never see Malfurion, Tyrande, or Maiev cast onto the funeral pyre.

1 Like

That’s why I specified the ones that they like.

I think if they truly want to “balance the scales” with some horrific alliance warcrimes, they should get the full post-Wrath horde treatment. With all the fun that that entails.

There’s definitely reasons for Alliance players to not like the story they’ve been given, and I’m not against things like the Alliance retaking Gilneas or whatnot, but my god, how many posts have come out of the night elf side basically claiming that they deserve to make a snuff film out of Orgrimmar?

If the loss of Teldrassil was really, truly, and honestly the mentally scarring and depressing episode that they claim it to be, then why the hell are they insistent on forcing that on other people?

14 Likes

Very Awful.

I know. It’s okay, this is my “masterpiece”.

Its fine. When it comes to fanfiction, for me at least, the cringier the better. Oh I could regale you over the countless Sylvanas x Anduin fanfics…

Blizzard themselves set up the parallels between the Light and the Abrahamic religions. In fact, the Light was God in Warcraft 2 (the church buildings have crosses and the unit quotes included Catholic phrases in Latin). This was downplayed in Warcraft 3 and retconned by increments in World of Warcraft; in fact, it’s possible that it could be retconned back and the Light ends up being retconned into the Big-G Creator God (hasn’t happened… but it could). In fact, the naaru are analogous to angels.

Blizzard also set up Elune as “Azeroth’s only true deity” in Warcraft 3 at the same time the Titans and Wild Gods were introduced plus the Light was already a thing.

Several polytheistic religions in fantasy and real-life say everything, including other gods, originated from an all-powerful Creator God (Brahma in Hinduism, Ptah in Egyptian Mythology, Nyame in traditional West African religions).

Mortal races aren’t all knowing, all powerful and all good, and certainly didn’t make themselves. Even if the higher powers of the Warcraft setting aren’t flawless and deserving of unquestioning obedience, cutting them out is a stupid idea. Blood of the Highborne is the writers using in-universe excuses to justify questionable writing.

If you think blaming God for our sins or sitting on our hands while waiting for Him to fix everything is how religious people and theists/deists go about life, it shows how little you understand of real-life religion or belief in God.